[comp.text] Typesetting Chinese

jbw@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Jingbai Wang) (07/31/89)

From jbw Mon Jul 31 12:47:30 EDT 1989
Article 23454 of soc.culture.china:
>From: jbw@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Jingbai  Wang)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: Using/Transmitting/Printing Chinese on Computers
Date: 31 Jul 89 16:45:52 GMT

Lately I have seen quite a number of posting regarding to Chinese
computer documentation. Yes, we do need a way to use Chinese as our
medium for communication in the network. The problems are

  1) How to edit and format
  2) How to transmit
  3) How to print

Since I am known as an expert in computer typesetting and software developing
in this area (Scribe, TeX/LaTeX, Chinese Editor and Graphics) in the net-
work. I 'd like to contribute my ideas and in a later stage: my programmes
FREE of charge.

  1) How to edit:

    The primary solution to this problem is, of course, to use CCDOS, where
    Edlin and Chinese WordStar can be used to edit Chinese documents.

    Byx by Yan Yongxin, as quoted from this net, can be an alternative. The
    question is: does it follow standard mainland Chinese encoding convention?
    If not, it would be junked soon. One thing I can see is that its so-called
    utility that translates its output into an interger file is really not
    smart enough. It increases the file size between 3 to 4 times, and
    generates a very strange looking trasmittable output.

    The disadvantage of CCDOS is that it is ROM BIOS and Graphics
    Card dependent, i.e., XT version can not be used on AT and PS/2. Mono
    version can't be used on CGA. I have not seen an EGA and VGA version yet.
    The good thing is that you can use all the 6-7 commonly used ways to
    call Chinese characters, e.g., Pinyin, GuoBiao, QuWei, ShuoWei,
    PianPang, DianBao, and WuBi. I found that the WuBi version gives the
    highest speed, even in Pinyin.

 1a) Formatting: Most of people use Chinese WordStar to format a Chinese
    document, in China and here. Even Taiwan versions use that.

    I, on the other hand, like the idea of command-driven, instaed of menu-
    driven. Therefore, I am creating a thing called Chinese Scribe
    (ChScribe in short). That, in fact, is a pre- and post- processor to the
    existing Scribe and TeX. ChScribe is also a PostScript device driver for
    the CCDOS standard (including WordStar) output files.
    Its output, as of today, is PostScript. What's good of it?
    It allows you to do whatever you can do with English fonts with Chinese,
    such as Scaling and Rotating. All the fancy math and other symbols can
    be mixed with Chinese. In short, it is an enhencement to Scribe and
    TeX, a great enhancement. I use my own version of Scribe database which
    supports all the math and graphics that can be done by TeX/LaTeX.

  2) Transmitting: Chinese DOS, or CCDOS, has standardized its encoding scheme
    of 7000 some Chinese characters, i.e., using two entended ASCII codes
    for a Chinese character. The first of code stands for the ZOOM (Qu)
    starting from 161 and ending at 247, but 168 ~ 175 overlap 175 ~182.
    Therefore, there are 79 zooms only. In each zoom, there are 94 characters,
    starting from 161 and ending at 254. For instance, if you boot with
    a CCDOS, and get into BASIC, then type

    ? chr(176); chr(161);

    you get an Chinese "A1" (in graphics mode).

    Problem: all these extended ASCII codes utilize the 8th bit, that is
             disliked by all standard mail facilities. It is why Byx utility
             translates every one into an integer, that can be translated back
             most easily, but the file size is also increased significantly.

    Solutions:
           a) UUENCDOE and UUDECODE  on unix (also available on DOS, that can
              be ftped from simtel20.arpa) can transmit such 8-bit files.
           b) Use some special utilities, such as Byx ones (but strongly
              discouraged). In my ChScribe, there is an option for encode
              and decode for transmission. The intermidiate file is in standard
              ASCII bytes, and the file size is only slightly larger than
              the original one.
           c) Transmit PostScript output from ChScribe directly (since
              PostScript is in standard ASCII), and you can print it on any
              PotScript printers.

  3) Printing: Normally, CCDOS allows you to print a standard CCDOS Chinese
     file on a 9-pin EPSON and the compatibles. For 24-pin EPSON and non-EPSON
     dot matrix printers, we need a special driver for it.

     For Laser Printers, like HP-plus, you need a driver, and a friend of mine
     here did develop one.

     Me, I like PostScript laser printers most, therefore, ChScribe output is
     for PostScript only, and the bitmap font is based on the 24x24 library in
     either HieTi or FangSongTi.

The Scribe part and encode/decode part of ChScribe is working now, and it is
in C working under VMS, UNIX and potentially DOS.

Conclusion:
    1) There are no easy ways to edit Chinese, and there are over 500 schemes
       but none is fast and/or easy enough. Pinyin is easy, most popular, but
       slow. There are only 2-3 editors available, too.
    2) The existing ways of formatting a Chinese document are far behind the
       English ones, and good for non-techincal and low efficient purposes
       only. It is desired that ChScribe will create a brand new way.
    3) Chinese fonts are based on bitmap fonts, either 16x16 or 24x24. That
       can be printed on any known printer, provided a driver is developed.
       EPSON is the grandpa, HP followed up somehow. PostScript will be the
       best solution, especial when there are vector fonts (some people in
       China have developed it), or analytical fonts (rumors said Apple Inc.
       has built it).

Sincerely yours,

JB Wang

jbw@pittvms.bitnet
jbw@cisunx.UUCP

cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (08/01/89)

[Long discussion of the problems of handling Chinese texts.]

Perhaps some attention should be given to Japanese word processing
techniques. Afterall, Japanese is considerably more complex than
Chinese (in terms of word processing Chinese is a subset of Japanese).

Looking at Chinese word processors, I get the sense that they are
designed by people who still think that Chinese culture is the one and
only source of ideas in Asia (if not the whole world) and who will
absolutely refuse to pay any attention to Japanese technology.

At demonstrations of Chinese word processors at academic conventions,
I've specifically asked exhibitors if they've checked out Japanese
technology, and the answer has been no.

Earl H. Kinmonth
History Department
University of California, Davis
916-752-1636 (voice, fax [2300-0800 PDT])
916-752-0776 secretary

(bitnet) ehkinmonth@ucdavis.edu
(uucp) ucbvax!ucdavis!ucdked!cck
(telnet or 916-752-7920) cc-dnet.ucdavis.edu [128.120.2.251]
	request ucdked, login as guest,
	no password