[comp.text] footnote in tabbing environment

chu@shong.cs.unc.edu (Chu Heng) (07/27/89)

     When I used footnot in a tabbing environment, I only got the footnote
mark, while the text was missing. I used the simplest way(\footnote{..}) to
make footnote. Should I use alternatives to do that? We got TeX V2.1 for
Berkeley UNIX, if that helps.

     Thanks in advance.

Heng Chu                             Univ. of North Carolina
CSNET: chu@cs.unc.edu                CB#3175 Sitterson Hall, Computer Science
UUCP: {uunet|decvax}!mcnc!unc!chu    Chapel Hill, N.C.  27599-3175
ARPA: chu%unc@mcnc.org

lwh@organ.cis.ohio-state.edu (Loyde W Hales) (07/28/89)

In article <8983@thorin.cs.unc.edu> chu@shong.cs.unc.edu (Chu Heng) writes:

>     When I used footnot in a tabbing environment, I only got the footnote
>mark, while the text was missing. I used the simplest way(\footnote{..}) to
>make footnote. Should I use alternatives to do that? We got TeX V2.1 for
>Berkeley UNIX, if that helps.

The footnote  command is "fragile" in LaTeX.  That is, under circumstances
where it is removed (spacially) from the "area" under which it is working, it
will crash.  The footnote here is leaving the tabbing environment.

The suggested fix is to "protect" it.  Try \protect\footnote{...}.

This should work.

LL

chu@shong.cs.unc.edu (Chu Heng) (08/01/89)

In article <56219@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, lwh@organ.cis.ohio-state.edu (Loyde W Hales) writes:

> The footnote  command is "fragile" in LaTeX.  That is, under circumstances
> where it is removed (spacially) from the "area" under which it is working, it
> will crash.  The footnote here is leaving the tabbing environment.
>
> The suggested fix is to "protect" it.  Try \protect\footnote{...}.

   Thank Loyde for his suggestion.

   Unfortunately protect still doesn't work. No error, no message, no nothing.
I wonder if there is another approach to make footnote work in tabbing
environment. I am using LaTeX Version 2.09.

   Any suggestion or hint is appreciated.

Heng Chu                             Univ. of North Carolina
CSNET: chu@cs.unc.edu                CB#3175 Sitterson Hall, Computer Science
UUCP: {uunet|decvax}!mcnc!unc!chu    Chapel Hill, N.C.  27599-3175
ARPA: chu%unc@mcnc.org

grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (08/01/89)

one solution to using a footnote in a tabbing environment is to
explicitly set the footnote flag & then set the footnote outside
of the tabbing environment.

e.g.,

\begin{tabbing}
\global\edef\thatFootNote{\thefootnote}
\protect\footnotemark[\thatFootNote]

\end{tabbing}

\footnotetext[\thatFootNote]{
}

except you need to fiddle with placement to make it land on the same page.
certainly not an elegant solution, but if you want to finish your
thesis, it works.
--
Dirk Grunwald -- Univ. of Illinois 		  (grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu)

chu@shong.cs.unc.edu (Chu Heng) (08/02/89)

   On P. 156 of Lamport's LaTeX book, there are comments about footnote. I
followed the example of Figure C.1. It also works in tabbing environment.