[comp.text] Documenters Workbench

trevor@trevan.UUCP (trevor) (07/24/89)

	Please could anyone tell me where I can get a troff which will
work under Microport V/AT. The one supplied by Microport seems to be
broke.

			regards trevor

kg@elan.elan.com (Ken Greer) (07/24/89)

From article <376@trevan.UUCP>, by trevor@trevan.UUCP (trevor):

> 	Please could anyone tell me where I can get a troff which will
> work under Microport V/AT. The one supplied by Microport seems to be
> broke.
>
> 			regards trevor

Eroff, an enhanced DWB package with LJ and PS support is available from:

Elan Computer Group, Inc.
888 Villa Street, 3rd Floor
Mountain View, CA 94041
Phone: 415-964-2200
FAX: 415-964-8588

wnp@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (07/27/89)

In article <376@trevan.UUCP> trevor@trevan.UUCP (trevor) writes:

>	Please could anyone tell me where I can get a troff which will
>work under Microport V/AT. The one supplied by Microport seems to be
>broke.

The DWB supplied with V/AT is version 1.0 rather than 2.0, and thus does
not work with a lot of the current postprocessors.

There are a number of products available under Microport V/AT, such as
TPLUS, EROFF, and SOFTQUAD; if you are on a tight budget, the best buy
is probably LEVERAGE from Urban Applied Science.

It provides all of DWB 2.0, as well as JetRoff (HP LaserJet support) and
also provides a "Natural Language Frontend", which provides more mnemonic
commands than the usual cryptic *roff requests. O'Reilly's recent TROFF
book (published by Howard Sams) is provided as documentation.

Cost is $175 for both 286 and 386 versions of UNIX; contact John Rosemont
at uunet!urban!jlr.
UUCP:   {texbell, attctc, dalsqnt}!dcs!wnp
DOMAIN: wnp@attctc.dallas.tx.us or wnp%dcs@texbell.swbt.com
        NOTICE: As of July 3, 1989, "killer" has become "attctc".

shocking@physiol.su.oz (Stephen Hocking) (07/29/89)

In article <376@trevan.UUCP<, trevor@trevan.UUCP (trevor) writes:
<
< 	Please could anyone tell me where I can get a troff which will
< work under Microport V/AT. The one supplied by Microport seems to be
< broke.
<
< 			regards trevor

	How do you think it's broken. I've been flogging it, with a couple
of backends for laserwriters and laserjets that have come over the net net,
and apart from the generic Sys V bug of not being able to mount more than 10
fonts, it's fine.

	Stephen

wnp@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (07/31/89)

In article <708@physiol.su.oz> shocking@physiol.su.oz (Stephen Hocking) writes:
 >In article <376@trevan.UUCP<, trevor@trevan.UUCP (trevor) writes:
 ><
 >< 	Please could anyone tell me where I can get a troff which will
 >< work under Microport V/AT. The one supplied by Microport seems to be
 >< broke.
 ><
 >< 			regards trevor
 >
 >	How do you think it's broken. I've been flogging it, with a couple
 >of backends for laserwriters and laserjets that have come over the net net,
 >and apart from the generic Sys V bug of not being able to mount more than 10
 >fonts, it's fine.

Well, it's not exactly broken, and probably works with many backends, but
he's trying to use it with JetRoff, which was written to work with DWB 2.0,
and Microport's 286 DWB is an earlier version. Their 386 version is version
2.0, though.

shocking@physiol.su.oz (Stephen Hocking) (08/02/89)

In article <8818@attctc.Dallas.TX.US>, wnp@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) writes:
< In article <708@physiol.su.oz> shocking@physiol.su.oz (Stephen Hocking) writes:
<  >In article <376@trevan.UUCP<, trevor@trevan.UUCP (trevor) writes:
<  ><
<  >< 	Please could anyone tell me where I can get a troff which will
<  >< work under Microport V/AT. The one supplied by Microport seems to be
<  >< broke.
<  ><
<  >< 			regards trevor
<  >
<  >	How do you think it's broken. I've been flogging it, with a couple
<  >of backends for laserwriters and laserjets that have come over the net net,
<  >and apart from the generic Sys V bug of not being able to mount more than 10
<  >fonts, it's fine.
<
< Well, it's not exactly broken, and probably works with many backends, but
< he's trying to use it with JetRoff, which was written to work with DWB 2.0,
< and Microport's 286 DWB is an earlier version. Their 386 version is version
< 2.0, though.
< --
< Wolf N. Paul * 3387 Sam Rayburn Run * Carrollton TX 75007 * (214) 306-9101
< UUCP:   {texbell, attctc, dalsqnt}!dcs!wnp
< DOMAIN: wnp@attctc.dallas.tx.us or wnp%dcs@texbell.swbt.com
<         NOTICE: As of July 3, 1989, "killer" has become "attctc".

	But the backend that I was using with was the last version of Jetroff
posted to the net. Mind you, Rick has a few versions later than that that
he'll send if you register.

		Stephen

bill@inebriae.UUCP (Bill Kennedy) (08/05/89)

In article <718@physiol.su.oz> shocking@physiol.su.oz (Stephen Hocking) writes:
>In article <8818@attctc.Dallas.TX.US>, wnp@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) writes:
>< In article <708@physiol.su.oz> shocking@physiol.su.oz (Stephen Hocking) writes:
><  >In article <376@trevan.UUCP<, trevor@trevan.UUCP (trevor) writes:
><  >< [ Trevor and Wolf's remarks deleted, that's not my follow-up... ]
>
>	But the backend that I was using with was the last version of Jetroff
>posted to the net. Mind you, Rick has a few versions later than that that
>he'll send if you register.
>
>		Stephen

You're time must not be worth much.  What you get for your $50 "if you
register" is gobs of updates and fonts.  If you've slogged through the
original posting for only eight hours over the last year, you're worth
(by definition) $6.25/hr.  JetRoff, in my opinion, is one of the best
deals around at only $50 for a dabbler, $100 for a business.

I don't have time to struggle, fail, complain, and not buy.  I'm not a
stranger to struggle, failure, or complaining, but JetRoff is "Plug and
Play".  Stephen's right about "he'll send you if you register", Rick does
and he stands behind his work.  It's no fun at all, just run a make and
start using it.  I struggled, like Stephen, for a lot more than eight
hours, so we all know what I'm worth...
--
Bill Kennedy    {texbell,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
                bill@ssbn.WLK.COM  or attmail!ssbn!bill