[comp.text] em-dashes, ellipsis and English Usage

lee@anduk.co.uk (Liam R. Quin) (07/22/89)

Some notes on dashes, hyphens and eliipsis, and some references to
works on typesetting, typography and English usage.

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu.UUCP (Jim Wright) said:
>And how about a new can of worms? :-)  Let's talk about ellipses.  Is
>there only one way to set them?

Sorry to drag this out still further...  I should have mentioned when
I quoted Hart's that there is another major source for this sort of thing:
the British Standards Institute.

I'm looking at a (slightly out of date by now, I think) copy of
    BS 5261 : Guide to Copy preparation and proof correction : Part 1 : 1975 :
    Recommendations for preparation of typescript copy for printing
which (despite the extraordinary titles these things use) is succinct and
helpful.

I'll quote from Appendix A:

| Hyphens and dashes in typescript
|
|   A.1 representation in typescript
|    (a) the hyphen: -
|    (b) the unspaced en rule: by a double hyphen
|    (c) the spaced en rule or the unspaced em rule: by a double hyphen
|	 preceded and followed by a space
|    (d) the 2-em rule: by a treble hyphen, whether or not preceded by a space

In other words, -- and---are considered equivalent at the copy stage.
Of course, a given publisher or typesetter will choose one or the other!
My own comments are in [square brackets] in the following extracts.

|     A.2 Hyphen. The hyphen is used to link words:
| 	knee-deep
|
|     A.3 En Rule. The unspaced en rule is used to denote a span or a
| 		 differentiation:
|
| 	The London--Brighton road  [a road linking London and Brighton]
| 	a score of 5--4
| 	Christian--Marxist dialogue
| 	the 1914--18 war [but NOT `from 1914--18', see $10.2]
| 	settler--native antagonism [i.e. between settlers and natives]
|     A.4 Dash. The spaced en rule _or_ the unspaced em rule is used:
| 	(a) in pairs, enclosing parenthetical matter:
|
| 	    A clear typescript style -- this is the aim
| 	    of BS 5261 -- is a great saving to author
| 	    and publisher.    [well, no-one said thay have to be modest :-)]
|
| 	(b) singly, to mark a break before the end of a sentence:
| 	    Reading, social life, sport -- none
| 	    of this interested him in the least.
|
|     A.5 Long dash. The 2-em rule is used to indicate an unfinished sentence
|     or the omissionof a word or part of a word:
| 	He was shouting, `Help! Help! Can't
| 	anyone ---', and the next minute
| 	he had been washed away.
| 	[in the typeset version accompanying this example, the dash is
| 	 about the same length as "he had", or a little shorter than
| 	 "anyone".]
|
| 	`What a d--- nice fellow!'
| 	[an ellipsis for damned, although `dashed' might be more
| 	 appropriate! :-)]
|
|     Note that the 2-em rule should be set close up to the last letter of an
|     incomplete word.

Now for ellipsis.

Jim Wright (jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu.UUCP) again:
>It seems they have two uses: to
>indicate an uncompleted thought or truncated quote, or to indicate the
>absence of text.

The following relates to typeset `output' as well as to copy preparation, and
the examples are printed as if typeset.

| $7.7 Eliipsis.  For words omitted, three full points (spaced on either side)
| shall be used, e.g. `Never ... was so much owed by so many to so few.'
| They should be followed by a full point if they signify the omission of the
| last part of a sentence, or preceded by a full point if they signify the
| omission of words following a complete sentence.
Also ($14.4),
| A quoted word or phrase less than a grammatically complete sentence
| should not be followed by any punctuation (except a question mark,
| exclamation mark or ellipsis) before the closing quotation mark, but the
| punctuation of the main sentence, if any, should be placed outside the
| quotation marks:
|    These writers are sometimes known as `the Romantics'.

> In the first case, I leave no space between the ellipse
>and the text.  I don't use the second case often, but apparently the
>ellipse ought to have space on both sides.  Correct?  Am I leaving
>something out?
Sounds like you're fine to me.  Hart's goes even further and recommends
the use of a full word space, like this . . ., although punctuation is
set close up.  Hart's is a little more fussy then the British Standards
Institute about whether punctuation should be placed within or without
surrounding quotation marks in such cases, although they do seem to
agree in most cases.

>Does anyone have suggestions on a reference as to how to use and
>typeset the English language?  It seems I could use one.  :-)

I use several, and mostly ignore them all [:-) :-) :-)], but then, I'm not
a typesetter.
If you can get hold of them in atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu.UUCP-land [I really
don't believe that address, uucp truncates host names after seven or so
characters round here! :-) :-)], you might try

%T Hart's Rules for compositors and readers at the Oxford University Press
%I Oxford University Press
I have the 39th edition; there is probably a later one by now.

You could also try
%A H. W. Fowler
%T A Dictionary of Modern English Usage
%I Oxford University Press

%T The Oxford Dictionary for Writers and Editors
%I Oxford University Press

The Shorter Oxford Dictionary is very good for English, as is Chambers;
I am given to understand that Webster produces a similar dictionary for
American English.  The Oxford English Dictionary is huge and very expensive,
but I have on occasion consulted it, for example to clarify the distinction
between `program' and `programme'.

British Standards Institute Publications
BS 5261 -- in two parts.  Part 2 is mainly concerned with mark-up for proof
	correction, but Part 1 is of more general interest.
	This seems to supercede BS 1219 : 1958 entirely.

Some others you might be interested in are:

BS 2961 : 1967 Typeface Nomenclature and Classification
is a short document explaining such terms as `Humanist' and `x-height'.

BS 3700 : 1976
Recommendations [for] The preparation of indexes to books,
periodicals and other publications

BS 5775: Part 11 : 1979
ISO 31/X1-1978 [sic]
Specification for Quantities, units and symbols
Part 11. Mathematical signs and symbols for use in the physical sciences
and technology
[obviously there are a lot of other standards in similar vein, but I don't
off-hand know the titles of the other parts in this series!

BS 4148 : 1985
ISO 4-1984 [...] Abbreviation of title words and titles of publications
ISO title: Documentation -- Rules for the abbreviation of title words and
titles of publications

On general typography, an excellent introduction is
%A McLean, R.
%T Typography
%I Thames and Hudson
%C London
%D 1980
%X a good introduction, with an annotated bibliography
This is also very cheap (I paid about UK#5 for mine, and it doesn't seem to
have risen in price very much in the intervening years).

Can anyone add to the list?

Lee
--
{ai.toronto.edu, uunet!utzoo}!utai!anduk.uucp!lee (Liam R. Quin)
Unixsys (UK) Ltd., +44 925 828181

jcb@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Julian Bradfield) (08/02/89)

In article <30@nx32s.anduk.co.uk> lee%anduk.UUCP@neat.ai.toronto.edu (Liam R. Quin) writes:
>Some notes on dashes, hyphens and eliipsis, and some references to
>works on typesetting, typography and English usage.
>Can anyone add to the list?

A book I have found very useful is
Butcher, Judith
Copy-editing -- The Cambridge Handbook, 2nd edn
Cambridge, CUP, 1981
ISBN 0 521 25638 0

ath@helios.prosys.se (Anders Thulin) (08/03/89)

In article <30@nx32s.anduk.co.uk> lee%anduk.UUCP@neat.ai.toronto.edu (Liam R. Quin) writes:
>>Does anyone have suggestions on a reference as to how to use and
>>typeset the English language?  It seems I could use one.  :-)
>
> [ ... several suggestions omitted ... ]

A few more:

English usage:

	* Eric Partridge: You have a point there

	[ I'm not absolutely certain about the title ]
	Give a rather good description of when to use various
	types of interpunctuation and why. Also gives several
	examples incompetent, bad, acceptable and perfect
	usage.

	* Eric Partridge: Usage and Abusage

	Published by Penguin, among others
	Next to Fowler in my bookshelf.

Typography:

	* Oliver Simon: Introduction to Typography
	Faber & Faber

	A rather old book, but still quite useful.

	* The Chicago Manual of Style

	Might be considered to describe US practice, though.

--
Anders Thulin, Programsystem AB, Teknikringen 2A, S-583 30 Linkoping, Sweden
ath@prosys.se   {uunet,mcvax}!sunic!prosys!ath

bts@sas.UUCP (Brian T. Schellenberger) (08/06/89)

In article <30@nx32s.anduk.co.uk> lee%anduk.UUCP@neat.ai.toronto.edu (Liam R. Quin) writes:
|| A quoted word or phrase less than a grammatically complete sentence
|| should not be followed by any punctuation (except a question mark,
|| exclamation mark or ellipsis) before the closing quotation mark, but the
|| punctuation of the main sentence, if any, should be placed outside the
|| quotation marks:
||    These writers are sometimes known as `the Romantics'.

It should be noted, however, that American usage is to place periods inside
the quotes even if they represent the outside sentence.  This is illogical
but, in my opinion, more pleasing to the eye.  (With most fonts--it looks
horrid, actually, with vertical quote marks.)  Of course, my eye was raised
mostly reading American typesetting . . .
--
-- Brian, the Man from Babble-on.		...!mcnc!rti!sas!bts
--

lwh@harpsichord.cis.ohio-state.edu (Loyde W Hales) (08/07/89)

In article <1128@sas.UUCP> bts@sas.UUCP (Brian T. Schellenberger) writes:
>In article <30@nx32s.anduk.co.uk> lee%anduk.UUCP@neat.ai.toronto.edu (Liam R. Quin) writes:
>|| A quoted word or phrase less than a grammatically complete sentence
>|| should not be followed by any punctuation (except a question mark,
>|| exclamation mark or ellipsis) before the closing quotation mark, but the
>|| punctuation of the main sentence, if any, should be placed outside the
>|| quotation marks:
>||    These writers are sometimes known as `the Romantics'.
>
>It should be noted, however, that American usage is to place periods inside
>the quotes even if they represent the outside sentence.  This is illogical
>but, in my opinion, more pleasing to the eye.  (With most fonts--it looks
>horrid, actually, with vertical quote marks.)  Of course, my eye was raised
>mostly reading American typesetting . . .

Actually, it isn't an ``Americanism'' at all.  According to three different
sources I checked, punctuation belongs INSIDE the quotation marks under most
conditions.  Well, actually that isn't quite true.  One of the sources
[_Write Stuff_ by Jan Venolia] said that ellipsis, periods, and commas are
always to be placed inside, but EXCLAMATION MARKS and QUESTION MARKS go
OUTSIDE unless they are bound to the sentence.  (By ``bound'' I mean that the
mark is part of the quotation or would substantially hinder reading, as might
happen with a quote in the middle of the sentence.)

Hmmm......

LL

-=-
		| I've tried to avoid all of this, but I can't.
		| She's out there, somewhere  [my advisor],
Loyde W. Hales	| And I've got to go to work. [She expects research results!]

lee@anduk.co.uk (Liam R. Quin) (08/09/89)

In article <1128@sas.UUCP> bts@sas.UUCP (Brian T. Schellenberger) writes:
>In article <30@nx32s.anduk.co.uk> I wrote:
>||    These writers are sometimes known as `the Romantics'.

>It should be noted, however, that American usage is to place periods inside
>the quotes even if they represent the outside sentence.
This is widespread.  The cited example is particularly pendantic, I think.

This is a *typographical* convention, however, not a copy preparation
one.  If you submit a typed manuscript (`copy') to a publisher, you
should either check with them, or use the more pedantic style.
That way, if they want to set your book in the `British Standard' style,
they will be able to do so.

> This is [...] in my opinion, more pleasing to the eye.
> (With most fonts--it looks horrid, actually, with vertical quote marks.)
I would tend to agree.  Another alternative I have sometimes seen is to
set the . as if it had less width than usual.
In troff/TeX/... terms, one might have a kern pair for . ' so that the
two nearly overlap.  Or, in troff, you could try this\z.'

One of the books on my desk (John Sculley/Odyssey) uses the BSI method,
though, putting the full point after the quote when the quoted text
at the end of the sentence is not itself a complete sentence.

It's really only an issue with marks like ?, ! and ), I think.

Lee