[comp.text] Unix TeX via ftp?

eirik@labs.labs.tek.com (Eirik Fuller) (08/06/89)

Is there an ftp site with a Unix TeX distribution newer than the one
in pub/tex on labrea.stanford.edu?  I think that one is 2.95, but
TeXhax V89 #70 claims 2.99 is in distribution.

I'll post a summary of email replies if appropriate.

eirik@labs.labs.tek.com (08/14/89)

Thanks for the numerous replies to my query about Unix TeX sources via
internet access.

The latest tex.web, the master source, lives on score.stanford.edu,
though apparently score is going away.  No definitive word yet on what
will replace it in this role.

Besides tex.web, it helps to have the most current web2c, which is
available on ics.uci.edu; note that this is considered less stable
than the one on the UW distribution, in the sense that it might have
untested changes.  ics.uci.edu also has a copy of the web files from
score; pub/web* are the files of interest.

There are also TeX files of interest on june.cs.washington.edu, in
~ftp/tex/, but they don't track the full Unix distribution due to
insufficient disk space.

The distribution on labrea.stanford.edu is apparently the newest full
copy of the Unix distribution available for ftp.  It's probably only a
matter of time before someone puts the contents of a newer tape
online somewhere, though that one has certainly served me well.

Thanks again to all who replied.

Eirik

zwicky@coco0.istc.sri.com.uucp (Elizabeth Zwicky) (08/15/89)

In article <4483@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM> eirik@labs.labs.tek.com writes:
>The distribution on labrea.stanford.edu is apparently the newest full
>copy of the Unix distribution available for ftp.  It's probably only a
>matter of time before someone puts the contents of a newer tape
>online somewhere, though that one has certainly served me well.

The distribution on labrea is usually a copy of the most recent tape
distribution; the tape doesn't change all the time, either. You can
also get a copy via ftp to tut.cis.ohio-state.edu, which is usually a
few days behind labrea, and which every so often picks up the complete
style file archive from Clarkson as well (it is currently about 6
months behind Clarkson, though). Finally, Ohio State also makes all
things it has available for anonymous ftp available for anonymous
uucp as well; the uucp machine is "osu-cis". I don't have the instructions
for anonymous uucp to hand, but they are posted regularly to the gnu
groups, as Ohio State is a major Gnu redistribution point.

	Elizabeth Zwicky