[comp.text] WYSIWYG flamage

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (07/23/89)

In article <8735@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> wnp@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) writes:
}In article <18681@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
}>The problem actually goes deeper than this.  The whole point of WYSIWYG
}>is that what you see is what you get: you see what you get; you get
}>what you see. ...
}
}However, some of the more popular word processors in the PC world,
}notably PC-Write, are very much like a combination of editor and
}formatter in a UNIX environment. ...
}
}And even more expensive and sophisticated programs like MS-WORD do
}not act as WYSIWYG systems while you are entering and editing text --
}not until you hit the PREVIEW command do you get to see an (often illegible!)
}approximation of what your page looks like. So someone could equally
}well write a troff or tex screen previewer (maybe this even exists, already)

Just so: on the Amiga, AmigaTeX will let you run with two windows open
and type TeX into one and have the previewer show it to you formatted in
the other (most of this comes partly-for-free because, unlike the MAC and the
PC, the Amiga will really multi-task, and so having the two windows 'active'
is no real trick: the only sneaky part is the IPC to get your text down into
TeX, and then the .dvi back up to Preview mostly auotmatically).

}And in any case, give me systems which store my files as flat text files,
}with formatting instructions embedded where they belong, rather than systems
}like WORD, which have their own proprietary file format which is difficult
}to decipher and convert to something else, or to rapidly modify using such
}tools as sed and awk.

There are two other major problems with WYSIWYG systems:

    they lose most of the logical structure of the document, and so
    impede its text being used in other contexts (where the printing
    rules may be different).  The newer WYSIWYG systems (like Word 4.0)
    address this to some extent, but it is still fairly marginal by the
    standards of the really powerful highlevel markup systems [for
    example: you start on a doc that will talk about Unix and decide,
    for no really good reason [you're not really trained in all this,
    after all] to use boldface for Unix commands AND Unix file names.
    You run off a proof of your document and realize that this is was a
    loser of a decision: how do you change it now?  In TeX, you would
    have had \filename and \command and just tweaked one or the other.
    When this happened with a WYSIWYG doc here, a programmer had to go
    through the WHOLE document by hand, and carefully sort out which
    was which, and then a copyeditor had to go and change the font on
    EACH affected word....ugh!  The real world (of multi-author
    documents, of text that must survive its original venue and move
    forward from document to document) is filled with examples like
    this where the loss of the logical structure of the document bags
    you.

    The second is that virtually no one with a Mac on their desk has
    the barest smidgeon of training in matters relating to document layout
    and design[*].  Fonts , point sizes, leading, page layout, etc., are
    chosen at random or on a whim, typographical conventions are
    invented on the fly.  Is the page too black (and so will turn
    readers away)?  Is it hard to skim the document (and so any reader
    who is bored in the first page will be obliged to dump the
    document)?  Does the document help focus the reader's (presumably
    limited) attention on the really important parts?  Does the
    document shout "We're not very professional here"?  Judging from
    most of the stuff produced here at BBN, the prevailing attitude is
    that having read a whole bunch qualifies them to "we don't know art
    but know what we like" [just as, I suppose, they would argue that a
    lifetime of watching movies qualifies them to direct one]; the
    'meta issues' (like "does the document really DO what it was
    intended for?") is not even a consideration.

	[*] As I've pointed out here at BBN, and as is painfully
	apparent to the editorial staff who have to SEE a lot of the
	crap we write, very few of us are even competent to deal with
	the basic *writing* style matters.  Would these ideas be better
	served by longer or shorter paragraphs?  Should they be
	described in running text or in a simple bulleted list?  Should
	it be written in the present or future tense?  Are the
	sentences too long and complicated?  etc...  It is amazing to
	get into an argument over point sizes with someone who seems
	not to be able to write a decent paragraph in the first place,
	but is filled to the brim with ironclad opinions about the
	proper way to PRESENT the sow's ear so as to silk-purse it.

   __
  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
 /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Sys & Tech, Cambridge, MA 02238
/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (07/24/89)

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) writes:

>There are two other major problems with WYSIWYG systems:

>    ... you start on a doc that will talk about Unix and decide,
>    for no really good reason [you're not really trained in all this,
>    after all] to use boldface for Unix commands AND Unix file names.
>    You run off a proof of your document and realize that this is was a
>    loser of a decision: how do you change it now?  In TeX, you would
>    have had \filename and \command and just tweaked one or the other.
>    When this happened with a WYSIWYG doc here, a programmer had to go
>    through the WHOLE document by hand, and carefully sort out which
>    was which, and then a copyeditor had to go and change the font on
>    EACH affected word....ugh!  The real world (of multi-author
>    documents, of text that must survive its original venue and move
>    forward from document to document) is filled with examples like
>    this where the loss of the logical structure of the document bags
>    you.

I don't use it, but I'm pretty sure that FullWrite Professional for the
Macintosh addresses these issues fairly completely.

>    The second is that virtually no one with a Mac on their desk has
                          ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
                     I would call this an extreme statement,
                     but the point is well taken.

>    the barest smidgeon of training in matters relating to document layout
>    and design[*].  Fonts , point sizes, leading, page layout, etc., are
>    chosen at random or on a whim, typographical conventions are
>    invented on the fly.  Is the page too black (and so will turn

  Once again: "The Power to be Your Worst"!

>    readers away)?  Is it hard to skim the document (and so any reader
>    who is bored in the first page will be obliged to dump the
>    document)?  Does the document help focus the reader's (presumably
>    limited) attention on the really important parts?  Does the
>    document shout "We're not very professional here"?  Judging from
>    most of the stuff produced here at BBN, the prevailing attitude is
>    that having read a whole bunch qualifies them to "we don't know art
>    but know what we like" [just as, I suppose, they would argue that a
>    lifetime of watching movies qualifies them to direct one]; the
>    'meta issues' (like "does the document really DO what it was
>    intended for?") is not even a consideration.

>	[*] As I've pointed out here at BBN, and as is painfully
>	apparent to the editorial staff who have to SEE a lot of the
>	crap we write, very few of us are even competent to deal with
>	the basic *writing* style matters.  Would these ideas be better
>	served by longer or shorter paragraphs?  Should they be
>	described in running text or in a simple bulleted list?  Should
>	it be written in the present or future tense?  Are the
>	sentences too long and complicated?  etc...  It is amazing to
>	get into an argument over point sizes with someone who seems
>	not to be able to write a decent paragraph in the first place,
>	but is filled to the brim with ironclad opinions about the
>	proper way to PRESENT the sow's ear so as to silk-purse it.

It has been pointed out before that "The Power to be Your Best" is not
mutually exclusive to "the power to be your worst". Writing is hard
enough without having to become a typographer thrown on top of the
other requirements. In fact, for any production requirement, having the
writing of text and the designing of the document handled by the same
person is virtually unheard of.

Copy writers should not be allowed near any software which allows them
to embed formatting commands. This is a job for the designers and
typesetters.  I have virtually NO experience in production professional
writing environments, but in some smaller "Desktop Publishing" job
shops I've consulted for, the writers input straight text only. When
they are done and it has been proofed for spelling, content,
readability, etc., it is ported over to Macs for
formatting/typesetting. If you set the copy writers in front of Macs,
2 things happen:

  * 1.  The job take 2 to 3 times longer than need be.

  * 2.  There is no consistancy of style.

Anyway, there is nothing new about this problem.

one other point I picked up from reading Bernie's posting:
If the people doing the work can't write well, WHAT ARE THEY DOING
WORKING THERE!?!?

Writing isn't simple; it shouldn't be left to simpletons.

--
Scott Truesdell

In article <43132@bbn.COM> cosell@BBN.COM (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>}And even more expensive and sophisticated programs like MS-WORD do
>}not act as WYSIWYG systems while you are entering and editing text --

Most will let you see the line and page breaks as you go, though with
the formatting set for the chosen fonts.  The graphic previews take some
time, so they are only done on demand.

>}And in any case, give me systems which store my files as flat text files,
>}with formatting instructions embedded where they belong, rather than systems
>}like WORD, which have their own proprietary file format which is difficult
>}to decipher and convert to something else, or to rapidly modify using such
>}tools as sed and awk.

Conversion tools would be a simple solution to this.  Most WP programs offer
conversion to/from a few other programs - mostly DCA in the IBM PC world.

>There are two other major problems with WYSIWYG systems:
>
>    they lose most of the logical structure of the document, and so
>    impede its text being used in other contexts (where the printing
>    rules may be different).

OK, how do I print a TeX or nroff document on a system that has neither?

>    The newer WYSIWYG systems (like Word 4.0)
>    address this to some extent, but it is still fairly marginal by the
>    standards of the really powerful highlevel markup systems [for
>    example: you start on a doc that will talk about Unix and decide,
>    for no really good reason [you're not really trained in all this,
>    after all] to use boldface for Unix commands AND Unix file names.
>    You run off a proof of your document and realize that this is was a
>    loser of a decision: how do you change it now?  In TeX, you would
>    have had \filename and \command and just tweaked one or the other.
>    When this happened with a WYSIWYG doc here, a programmer had to go
>    through the WHOLE document by hand, and carefully sort out which
>    was which, and then a copyeditor had to go and change the font on
>    EACH affected word....ugh!

Are you saying that an incompetent can't screw up a troff or TeX document
to the point where an experienced person must fix it up by hand?  WP 5.0,
MS Word, and probably others have named styles that can (and should) be
used to set the attributes within documents.  Changing the style definitions
changes the formatting everywhere it is used in the document.  The real
problem here is the WP and Word are simple enough to use that most people
will read the manual and get the job done without having someone teach
them the "right" way to do it.

>    The real world (of multi-author
>    documents, of text that must survive its original venue and move
>    forward from document to document) is filled with examples like
>    this where the loss of the logical structure of the document bags
>    you.

Current WP's support red-lining, outlining, embedded comments, file-locking
on lans, including sub-documents, and many other things that are awkward
with the toolbox approach.  A handy technique with WP 5, for example
is to place all style definitions in a master document with all the
text in subdocuments.  You can then produce dramatically different effects
by modifying only the master document.  If portions of the text only
require setting the font and margins (no font changes or underlining within
the block) you can include an ordinary text file as a subdocument and wrap
the style around it in the master document.

>    The second is that virtually no one with a Mac on their desk has
>    the barest smidgeon of training in matters relating to document layout
>    and design.

There is no substitute for training, but it can be greatly reduced by
providing some standard styles and teaching people to use them.  Then
if someone else wants to tweak things, it can be done easily, perhaps
even by loading a different (but also standard) set of style definitions.

Les Mikesell

clewis@eci386.uucp (Chris Lewis) (07/27/89)

In article <9053@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <43132@bbn.COM> cosell@BBN.COM (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>>    they lose most of the logical structure of the document, and so
>>    impede its text being used in other contexts (where the printing
>>    rules may be different).

>OK, how do I print a TeX or nroff document on a system that has neither?

The same way with WP documents when your DOS machine doesn't have it
either ;-)

Actually, it's quite easy, given that the system has *something* similar
to TeX or nroff.  Usually close to impossible with a WP document.

Troff or TeX input is *plain* ASCII - you can copy the files
to any machine and convert them (or at least read the text) easily
with a text editor.  Eg: the time it took me under 2 hours to convert
my 60 page thesis from eqn/tbl/troff -ms to IBM Script/GML on an EBCDIC
(IBM VM/CMS) machine - and I had been using Script for less than a day
at the time.  Try to do that with a WP file!

However, you completely missed his point.  TeX and [nt]roff documents
tend to be (strong tendancy) printer independent.  Thus, whether I print to
a Postscript engine with full graphics support, or an ASR33 which doesn't
even have lowercase, the output will look as similar as it is possible for
it to be given the limitations of the printer without you doing anything
except specify which printer.  That's what he meant by "rules".

My experience with things like WP is that you have to fiddle the document
for each printer to get it to come out at all.  Eg: you select font 1 in
your document....  Um, well, that's 10 point Roman italic on the HPLJ K
cartridge, 14 point landscape AvantGarde on a HPLJII, and inverse-video
Kanji on the Postscript printer.  It can take hours to simply route one
document from one printer to another (and complaints from the customer
that that *&^^%&^( WP package that *he* *insisted* on having doesn't work).

[Chris Torek said one of the drawbacks of TeX/troff is that they'll do
something even with line noise - that's also part of their strength -
they'll do something reasonable even with text with no formatting directives
whatsoever.  Feeding line noise into WP is more likely to simply crash
your machine ;-)]
--
Chris Lewis, R.H. Lathwell & Associates: Elegant Communications Inc.
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo}!lsuc!eci386!clewis

In article <1989Jul26.184314.22495@eci386.uucp> clewis@eci386.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:

>Troff or TeX input is *plain* ASCII - you can copy the files
>to any machine and convert them (or at least read the text) easily
>with a text editor.  Eg: the time it took me under 2 hours to convert
>my 60 page thesis from eqn/tbl/troff -ms to IBM Script/GML on an EBCDIC
>(IBM VM/CMS) machine - and I had been using Script for less than a day
>at the time.  Try to do that with a WP file!

Umm, how about using the included WP to DCA conversion, then looking for
a DCA to whatever conversion on the mainframe side?   But seriously,
where are you going to be that you can't find a PC these days, and you
can carry the program around on a floppy just as easily as the document.
If this is a real problem, just get a 10 lb. laptop and carry the whole
machine (try that with your mainframe!).
If you want plain ascii you can always write the file out that way and
lose only the formatting, or you can do some magic search and replace
commands (or macros) to change WP's formatting codes into your favorite
ascii characters.

>However, you completely missed his point.  TeX and [nt]roff documents
>tend to be (strong tendancy) printer independent.

No, I addressed this point but perhaps you missed it because you are
not aware of the changes that have happend to PC wordprocessors in
the last year or two.  Word >4.0, WP 5.0, (and probably WS 5.0 and
several others) do provide this capability both by allowing measurement
(vs. character) based formatting and allowing the use of redefinable
styles instead of imbedding "real" font names and measurements throughout
the document.

>Thus, whether I print to
>a Postscript engine with full graphics support, or an ASR33 which doesn't
>even have lowercase, the output will look as similar as it is possible for
>it to be given the limitations of the printer without you doing anything
>except specify which printer.  That's what he meant by "rules".

No problem with WP 5.0 if your printer is one of the 700 or so models that
are supported or you feel up to hacking your own driver.  *And* the
graphics page preview will represent the output on the intended device
instead of the best-fit for your screen (size-wise, anyway - they don't
know everything about font shapes).

>My experience with things like WP is that you have to fiddle the document
>for each printer to get it to come out at all.  Eg: you select font 1 in
>your document....

Yes, I thought so, you are talking about WP 4.2 or earlier.  Well times
have changed.  WP 5.0 knows all about font sizes now and margins, tabs,
positioning, etc. are done using measurments, making it trivial to
use different fonts (which you now select by name and point size or if
you want to stay generic you can use "small", "large", etc. that are
mapped according to the printer).  Better yet, use styles for everything
which makes it trivial to modify all of your formatting as long as it is
consistent.  Also, since you can search/replace codes as well as text, it
is pretty simple to make global changes even if you weren't consistent.

Les Mikesell

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (07/28/89)

In article <9091@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <1989Jul26.184314.22495@eci386.uucp> clewis@eci386.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
>
>a DCA to whatever conversion on the mainframe side?   But seriously,
>where are you going to be that you can't find a PC these days, and you
>can carry the program around on a floppy just as easily as the document.
>If this is a real problem, just get a 10 lb. laptop and carry the whole
>machine (try that with your mainframe!).

Since when does one need a mainframe to run **IX and the text
processing tools associated with it? The same AT clone that will run
MiSerable DOS will run **IX. Several of the high horsepower portables
have been advertised as UNIX machines.

>consistent.  Also, since you can search/replace codes as well as text, it
>is pretty simple to make global changes even if you weren't consistent.

Maybe WP has (finally) developed a search-replace that allows you to
replace text AND codes, but this is still an unusual feature in PeeCee
word processors.  Typically, they are extremely restrictive in what
can go into a search and replace operation.  Closure and conditional
replacement are still more unusual.  Moreover, you have to ~know~ what
the underlying codes are.

Maybe your experience is different from mine, but I am frequently asked
by colleagues to make rough translations of documents from one format
to another. Many PeeCee word processors do not tell you the control
codes or format used even for common operations such as underlining or
super/subscripting. Typically you have to find this information out by
printing a text and comparing the raw source run through an octal or
hex dump program. Even companies specializing in the writing of
conversion software have a hell of a time on this point. (As an
exercise, try to figure out the control codes used by MicroShaft
Weird.)

In contrast, compare the task of changing, for example, bold to
italics, in an nroff/troff document, with what it takes in most PeeCee
word processors:

g/\\fB/s//\\fI/g

or

g/\\fB/s//\\fI/gc

If you've used macros such as .BO or .IT, the task is even simpler.

As further tests (based on the sort of thing I am called upon to do by
my publishers), compare the number of strokes required by the usual
word processor to (a) switch from footnotes to endnotes; (b) change the
margins in an nnn (50 <= nnn <= 500) page document; (c) properly place
footnotes that require more than 1/2 of a physical page.

(To forestall the argument that only a hacker would appreciate
vi/nroff, I would note that I teach modern Japanese history.)

Earl H. Kinmonth
History Department
University of California, Davis
916-752-1636 (voice, fax [2300-0800 PDT])
916-752-0776 secretary

(bitnet) ehkinmonth@ucdavis.edu
(uucp) ucbvax!ucdavis!ucdked!cck
(telnet or 916-752-7920) cc-dnet.ucdavis.edu [128.120.2.251]
	request ucdked, login as guest,
	no password

clewis@eci386.uucp (Chris Lewis) (07/29/89)

In article <9091@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <1989Jul26.184314.22495@eci386.uucp> clewis@eci386.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:

>Umm, how about using the included WP to DCA conversion, then looking for
>a DCA to whatever conversion on the mainframe side?

DCA to SCRIPT?  argh!

>But seriously,

Me too.

>where are you going to be that you can't find a PC these days,

At home.  In our office on the PC that doesn't have WP....

>If this is a real problem, just get a 10 lb. laptop and carry the whole
>machine (try that with your mainframe!).

I'll go blind trying to read the screen...  (actually, I'd rather run
UNIX and vi/troff on the laptop)

>Yes, I thought so, you are talking about WP 4.2 or earlier.  Well times
>have changed.

Exactly.  Now all we need is WP 5.0 ported to UNIX.

(Too bad UNIX WP is such a pig.)
--

In article <26726@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:

>Maybe WP has (finally) developed a search-replace that allows you to
>replace text AND codes, but this is still an unusual feature in PeeCee
>word processors.

There is only one point I am trying to make here.  If you haven't seen
the current crop of programs, don't judge them by earlier versions.
Things really have changed.  Not perfect yet, but what is?

>Typically, they are extremely restrictive in what
>can go into a search and replace operation.  Closure and conditional
>replacement are still more unusual.  Moreover, you have to ~know~ what
>the underlying codes are.

WP 5.0 lets you enter the same key sequence that you would use to
generate a code (and shows the choices as you go) when you enter the
search/replace items, and shows the same thing on the screen that
you would see using the "reveal-codes" mode.  MS-Word has some very
different concepts about formatting that make it more difficult to
think in terms of "codes" but easier to use style definitions and avoid
the need to change any imbedded formatting.

>Maybe your experience is different from mine, but I am frequently asked
>by colleagues to make rough translations of documents from one format
>to another.

I used to do a lot of this also.  Lately we have only used WP and
Pagemaker (which knows about WP and some other formats).

>In contrast, compare the task of changing, for example, bold to
>italics, in an nroff/troff document, with what it takes in most PeeCee
>word processors:

Word and WP (and probably others) let you make such global changes.

>If you've used macros such as .BO or .IT, the task is even simpler.

Likewise if you use WP or Word styles.

>As further tests (based on the sort of thing I am called upon to do by
>my publishers), compare the number of strokes required by the usual
>word processor to (a) switch from footnotes to endnotes;

Trivial in MS word (<esc>FDLE<return>), difficult in WP, since both
can exist in the same document. It would probably require a macro to
find the next footnote, delete the text, create an endnote and yank
back the text.

>(b) change the >margins in an nnn (50 <= nnn <= 500) page document;
No problem unless they change all over the place - even then it is trivial
if styles are used.

>(c) properly place >footnotes that require more than 1/2 of a physical page.
No problem with WP - haven't tried it with Word, but wouldn't expect any
trouble.

>(To forestall the argument that only a hacker would appreciate
>vi/nroff, I would note that I teach modern Japanese history.)

Actually, I like vi and wish the PC programs had real regex support,
but things like redline and strikeout support are more practical
(where the codes and/or affected text can be deleted in one command).
BTW, you might like the 1500 character character set that WP 5.0 uses.

Les Mikesell

cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (07/29/89)

In article <9102@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <26726@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:
>

>>(To forestall the argument that only a hacker would appreciate
>>vi/nroff, I would note that I teach modern Japanese history.)
>
>Actually, I like vi and wish the PC programs had real regex support,
>but things like redline and strikeout support are more practical
>(where the codes and/or affected text can be deleted in one command).
>BTW, you might like the 1500 character character set that WP 5.0 uses.

1500 characters doesn't amount to diddly squat as far as Japanese goes.
My Japanese word processor has 6000 plus, and that still doesn't give
me full coverage.  I'm saving my pennies for a Sony Work Station with
kanji vi and troff.

I'm still unconvinced about the wonders of WP 5.0.  One of my colleagues
got it for his wife because she needed full Greek (not mathematicians
Greek - full modern and classical.)  It does it.  Sort of.  But it took
him weeks on the phone to find out what he needed in the way of hardware
to support it.  It then took me three hours to figure out what the mushed
mouth manual was trying to say to make the transition between roman and
Greek scripts.

My $700 NEC word processor (total price including 24 dot matrix printer
and disk drive) can do more typographical things with 6000+ characters
(it has stroked fonts) for Japanese (and English, and Russian, etc.)
than WP does with English....

Just out of curiosity.  Is there any logical pattern to WPs use of
function keys?  I go buggy trying to remember whether its alt/ctrl/shift
or whatever....

In article <4993@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:

>My $700 NEC word processor (total price including 24 dot matrix printer
>and disk drive) can do more typographical things with 6000+ characters
>(it has stroked fonts) for Japanese (and English, and Russian, etc.)
>than WP does with English....

Somehow this doesn't surprise me... What does the N in NEC stand for?
The graphics capability of WP can help out, though.  If you can coax
some other program to make a figure using HPGL plotting or several
other formats, WP can convert it to a form that it can scale and
position.

>Just out of curiosity.  Is there any logical pattern to WPs use of
>function keys?  I go buggy trying to remember whether its alt/ctrl/shift
>or whatever....

No, but I've never seen an editor that had a logical pattern of commands,
especially ones that use function keys.  There is a decent built-in help
command, though, so you only have to remember F3.  Also, you can re-map
the commands if you like.

Les Mikesell

cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (08/02/89)

In article <9126@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <4993@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:
>
>Somehow this doesn't surprise me... What does the N in NEC stand for?

Maybe it stands for Norwegian.  The documentation claims full support
for Norwegian. :)

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (08/03/89)

Re:  Troff is great; look at all the books written in troff.

I believe a revolution is coming, and troff will be the first against
the wall (to be sacrificed).

Troff will die because of the t in it's name -- "Typesetter".
Typesetters are being replaced by laserprinters, which do a lot more.
Take a look at the output language of ditroff sometime.  Here are the
only graphics objects in the language:

  lines, thick lines (berkeley), circles, arcs, ellipses, and splines.
  characters, fonts, font sizes.

Ask yourself,

(1) How do I shade objects with different patterns or continuous halftones?
(2) How do I draw thick objects in general?
(3) How do I label the y axis of a graph, using 90-degree rotated words?
(4) How would I label the arcs in a network flow graph with rotated letters?
(5) How would I draw a black box and then etch characters into it (in
    reverse video?)
(6) How do I include halftone / binary / floyded images?
(7) How do I superimpose graphics objects on top of each other?

The macintosh (and postscript) have all these abilities.  Troff has
none.  All you need is a program to create these quickdraw/postscript
images, and then you may paste them into your favorite WYSWYG word
processor (mine is MS-Word, but Writenow, Fullwrite, Wordperfect, or
Macwrite work equally well), and print them out at full postscript
(300+ dpi) resolution.  Face it, troff is an elephant, which deserves
respect, a gold watch, and retirement very soon.

Troff is also missing some formatting niceties, such as the ability to
wrap text around a picture, or lay out pages like PageMaker or other
page layout programs.

About the only thing troff does better than these word processors is
typeset mathematics.  MS-Word typesets mathematics in an ugly fashion.
I have talked to some people at microsoft, and they are considering
improving MS-Word mathematics in Macintosh Word 5.0.  Most other
macintosh word processors do no math at all, but you can "draw"
equations with one of a half-dozen equation-formatting desk
accessories and paste them in.  Some of these do an excellent job.

I believe TeX will survive longer because its equation-formatting and
word-spacing ability is unparalleled.  But it will eventually succomb
to the WYSWYG revolution, or its equations will be incorporated into a
WYSWYG editor.

If you want to have "a text stream I can ftp to my friends", then you
should think about postscript.  Postscript makes a great archival
medium, as long as you treat the postscript file like a piece of
immutable preprinted paper.  Why not mail that friend a postscript
master, and he can print it out on most of the laser printers in the
country.

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

charlie@mica.stat.washington.edu (Charlie Geyer) (08/04/89)

In article <77900017@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> I believe a revolution is coming, and troff will be the first against
> the wall (to be sacrificed).

Not that I am a great fan of troff, but NO widely used language ever dies.
Look at COBOL.

> I believe TeX will survive longer because its equation-formatting and
> word-spacing ability is unparalleled.  But it will eventually succomb
> to the WYSWYG revolution, or its equations will be incorporated into a
> WYSWYG editor.

Au contraire.  The ability to incorporate PostScript pictures in TeX or
LaTeX documents, already supported by all (almost all?) versions of dvi2ps,
makes TeX far more powerful than any WYSWYG system.

Set the equations in TeX and then paste them into a WYSWYG document?
Surely you are joking.  This is a step back to the stone age.

Why don't you just give up and use TeX?

I've done lots of preprints and tech reports full of fancy graphics, all
in TeX.  It's a snap.  The math looks beautiful and the graphics too.

cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (08/04/89)

In article <77900017@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Re:  Troff is great; look at all the books written in troff.
>
>I believe a revolution is coming, and troff will be the first against
>the wall (to be sacrificed).

>(300+ dpi) resolution.  Face it, troff is an elephant, which deserves
>respect, a gold watch, and retirement very soon.
>
>Troff is also missing some formatting niceties, such as the ability to
>wrap text around a picture, or lay out pages like PageMaker or other
>page layout programs.

At least some of the thing you are looking for can in fact be found in
recent incarnations of troff such as that from Soft Quad Publishing
and Mortice Kern Systems.

Troff has an edge in more than mathematics.  Try doing a legal paper
where footnotes range up to several continuous pages.  Try setting up
a text so you can switch from single to multi-column presentation
(with footnotes) in no more than one line of changed code.

rjc@don.uk.ac.ed (Richard Caley) (08/05/89)

In article <77900017@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Troff is also missing some formatting niceties, such as the ability to
>wrap text around a picture,

To insert a comment from the other end ( ie. those who have to read this
stuff ) -- why would anyone want to do this. It is a stupid idea. It is
a great way to take your text and turn it into a piece of gibberish.

The only thing I have seen which is worse is a magazine I used to read
which had the habbit of printing things _over_ grey scale images. Yeuch.

>I believe TeX will survive longer because its equation-formatting and
>word-spacing ability is unparalleled.  But it will eventually succomb
>to the WYSWYG revolution, or its equations will be incorporated into a
>WYSWYG editor.

Ok, why do people think TeX is good for doing math? What am I missing?
Why is it causing me hours of headaches to get LaTeX ( maybe plain TeX
is better? ) to let me do other than trivial formulae in a semi-readable
manner?

WYSIWHG is even worse - that's what convinced me to try LaTeX . . .

--
rjc@uk.ac.ed.aipna		    Have you hugged your Knnn today?
	rjc@uk.ac.ed.aipna

 "Politics! You can wrap it up in fancy ribbons, but you can't hide the smell"
			- Jack Barron

wnp@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (08/06/89)

In article <77900017@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
  >The macintosh (and postscript) have all these abilities.  Troff has
  >none.  All you need is a program to create these quickdraw/postscript
  >images, and then you may paste them into your favorite WYSWYG word
  >processor (mine is MS-Word, but Writenow, Fullwrite, Wordperfect, or
  >Macwrite work equally well), and print them out at full postscript
  >(300+ dpi) resolution.  Face it, troff is an elephant, which deserves
  >respect, a gold watch, and retirement very soon.

Ah, but if you create these things with a separate program and then paste
them into your favorite word processor, then you should not exclude TROFF
from that club: I can paste graphics into my troff input, and output them
on a laser printer.

  >Troff is also missing some formatting niceties, such as the ability to
  >wrap text around a picture, or lay out pages like PageMaker or other
  >page layout programs.

How so? with clever use of macros troff can wrap text around a picture
and produce fully laid-out pages. Not on the screen, by moving objects around
with a rodent, but no-one claimed that troff was WYSIaWYG -- it's wySiEwyg
(what you SPECIFY is EXACTLY what you get :-) ).

  >About the only thing troff does better than these word processors is
  >typeset mathematics.  MS-Word typesets mathematics in an ugly fashion.

You can say that again, and the same is true of tables when using proportional
fonts.

  >If you want to have "a text stream I can ftp to my friends", then you
  >should think about postscript.  Postscript makes a great archival
  >medium, as long as you treat the postscript file like a piece of
  >immutable preprinted paper.  Why not mail that friend a postscript
  >master, and he can print it out on most of the laser printers in the
  >country.

Two comments on that: (1) he may be able to print it out JUST AS IS, but
if he wanted to modify it, he would be hard pressed; and (2) I am not
convinced that "most of the laser printers in the country" support Postscript.
Would you care to support that statement with sales figures for the various
Postscript brands versus the figures for HP LJ and clones?

Wolf
UUCP:   {texbell, attctc, dalsqnt}!dcs!wnp
DOMAIN: wnp@attctc.dallas.tx.us or wnp%dcs@texbell.swbt.com
        NOTICE: As of July 3, 1989, "killer" has become "attctc".

charlie@mica.stat.washington.edu (Charlie Geyer) (08/06/89)

In article <1168@aipna.ed.ac.uk> rjc@don (Richard Caley) writes:

> Ok, why do people think TeX is good for doing math? What am I missing?
> Why is it causing me hours of headaches to get LaTeX ( maybe plain TeX
> is better? ) to let me do other than trivial formulae in a semi-readable
> manner?

Because it is.  In TeX or LaTeX or AMS TeX one can typeset mathematics
better than it used to be done by hand except at a very few of the best
publishing houses.

Nothing else even comes close.

I have seen two dozen students learn LaTeX here, and it does not seem to
be difficult as long as there are some experienced users around to ask
questions.

If the LaTeX manual is your only source of information, that may be your
problem.  Read the sections on typesetting mathematics in the TeXbook.
There's no need to switch to plain TeX, almost all of it works in LaTeX.

cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (08/06/89)

[attribution removed; don't get bent out of shape!]

>  >Troff is also missing some formatting niceties, such as the ability to
>  >wrap text around a picture, or lay out pages like PageMaker or other
>  >page layout programs.

Maybe I'm an "ivory tower" intellectual out of touch with the world,
but where, I ask, outside of PEOPLE magazine and the NATIONAL ENQUIRER,
is the ability to wrap text around pictures of any consequence?

I'm an historian. I've never seen an historical text that would have
been better by virtue of having the text wrapped around pictures. I
also did undergraduate work in electrical engineering and business. I
can't imagine a situation where anything I read in these disciplines
would have been improved, either in appearance or ability to transmit
needed information, by having text wrapped around pictures.

Indeed, the only places I've seen text wrapped around pictures is in

(a) comic books;

(b) shoppers and junk mailer inserts in newspapers.

Is my education incomplete? Am I missing something? Will my colleagues
suddenly stand up and applaud if I can wrap text around pictures? Will
my students suddenly vote me teacher of the year if I can give them
handouts with the syllabus wrapped around a picture of Hirohito (I
teach Japanese history)?

I have about three meters of shelf space devoted to various computer
manuals and textbooks ranging from Aho and company on compilers to
Sedgewick and others on algorithms. Am I intellectually lacking because
I can't figure out how any of these would be improved by having text
wrapped around the illustrations?

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (08/07/89)

/* Written 12:29 am  Aug  6, 1989 by cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.text */
> I'm an historian. I've never seen an historical text that would have
> been better by virtue of having the text wrapped around pictures.

Then you've never seen an illuminated manuscript.  Remind me NEVER to
take a course from you!  Of course, this type of wrapping is trivial.
The other type of wrapping (they kind that appears in our local
newspaper "Features" section almost every day of the year) is more
sophisticated.

People should think before they jump.  What I hear is,

"If it's not done by troff, it must be unimportant"
"Troff (like OS/360) is a standard, hence it is good, and we should
all exchange troff documents (yeah, like we should all buy IBM 360's!)"

I've also heard some intelligent points about footnotes, and
multi-column flaws in some WYSWYG word processors (in MS-Word 4.0, 2
columns takes just 3 keypresses, and numerous footnotes seem to work
just fine).

I said troff math output looks better than MS-Word.  I haven't looked
at the output from any Mac equation editors, but they may well rival TeX
(which is superior to troff).  Having written math in BOTH troff and
MS-Word, I find troff math is extremely hard to write, and very tricky
to debug (like it took me over an hour to get a full-page equation
with several cases to work).  On a PC, you could *draw* the equation
in about 5 minutes, despite its complicated nature.

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (08/07/89)

>Maybe I'm an "ivory tower" intellectual out of touch with the world,
>but where, I ask, outside of PEOPLE magazine and the NATIONAL ENQUIRER,
>is the ability to wrap text around pictures of any consequence?

Well, I have a book on cryogenic technology in which there are
lots of photos and diagrams of stills for separating liquified gases.
They are often one inch wide and a half or a whole page high.
They wrapped text around them. This book would look mighty odd
without that.

A look in this morning's New York Times shows no examples of
text from one article wrapped all the way around a picture;
pictures are always butted up against the edge of the space
for a particular article. But of course text as a whole
snakes all over the place.

Doug McDonald

charlie@mica.stat.washington.edu (Charlie Geyer) (08/08/89)

In article <8800031@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> I find troff math is extremely hard to write, and very tricky to debug
> (like it took me over an hour to get a full-page equation with several
> cases to work).

Ah yes, now I see your problem.  A full-page equation, literally?  No
wonder you're having problems.  Try defining some of the terms that have
independent meaning so that it can be reduced to reasonable size.  No
one bothers to read a monster like that.  Have you ever seen one in a
real math book?

> On a PC, you could *draw* the equation in about 5 minutes, despite its
> complicated nature.

And I bet it was still unreadable and ugly.

No offense intended, but I hate seeing papers containing stuff like
that.

grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (08/08/89)

In article <8800031@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
   Then you've never seen an illuminated manuscript.  Remind me NEVER to
   take a course from you!  Of course, this type of wrapping is trivial.
   The other type of wrapping (they kind that appears in our local
   newspaper "Features" section almost every day of the year) is more
   sophisticated.
----

I think that a fundemental problem is the documents people are intending to
write. Few scientific papers look good with wrapped text, illuiminations,
etc. Few editions of Time/Newsweek/etc look good without them.

Perhaps different tools are needed? Lamport has a good point when he says
``latex lets you worry about content, not form'' -- Time and Newsweek
and your local paper often worry more about form than content.

--
   "If it's not done by troff, it must be unimportant"
   "Troff (like OS/360) is a standard, hence it is good, and we should
   all exchange troff documents (yeah, like we should all buy IBM 360's!)"
--
"PostScript (like OS/360) is a standard, hence it is good, and we should
all exchange PostScript documents (yeah, like we should all buy IBM 360's!)"

It's easy to words in peoples mouths.

---
   I said troff math output looks better than MS-Word.  I haven't looked
   at the output from any Mac equation editors, but they may well rival TeX
   (which is superior to troff).  Having written math in BOTH troff and
   MS-Word, I find troff math is extremely hard to write, and very tricky
   to debug (like it took me over an hour to get a full-page equation
   with several cases to work).  On a PC, you could *draw* the equation
   in about 5 minutes, despite its complicated nature.
---

Overall, your point is well taken. There are times when I've had to
beat LaTeX over the head to make it do exactly what I want to do.
Thats' why I've written TeX previewers - it reduces the cycletime of
making niggling little formatting changes. However, one need not throw
out the baby with the bathwater.

I think two-view (or multi-view) editing of documents is the right
approach.  At times, I want to view someting as straight text & use
Emacs to bash on it.  At other times, I'd like to see a structured
representation of the document to move it around on the display, or
e.g., force footnotes and their references to be on the same page.

If one wants to grouse about e.g., the problems of TeX, one should
grouse that it's a ``single input stream'' environment. The command
definitions should be in another file/area/marked thing, and text
should be text. This is difficult to do with, e.g. the handy little
macros we all write to avoid typing things, but it would make two-view
systems easier to deal with.

In this sense, The Publisher by ArborTeX is, in my mind, headed in a
good direction. They also have a table editor and equation editor.
The table editor I can understand; tables are visual things, and you
should be able to lay it out ``just so'' -- equations on the other
hand, I find faster to enter inline (which you can still do in The
Publisher).

cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (08/08/89)

In article <8800031@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>> I'm an historian. I've never seen an historical text that would have
>> been better by virtue of having the text wrapped around pictures.
>
>Then you've never seen an illuminated manuscript.  Remind me NEVER to
>take a course from you!  Of course, this type of wrapping is trivial.

(a) A slip of the tongue.  By historical text I meant historical
monograph (something written about history).

(b) My specialty is modern Japan.  If you take one of my courses
expecting to learn about medieval Europe, you should be prepared for
what you get....

(c) Whether you find illuminated manuscripts more attractive depends
on your taste.  I find these things a form of medieval high kitsch.

rcd@ico.ISC.COM (Dick Dunn) (08/08/89)

In article <77900017@p.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> Re:  Troff is great; look at all the books written in troff.

That much is fair - there have been a lot of books done with it, but...

> Troff will die because of the t in it's name -- "Typesetter".
> Typesetters are being replaced by laserprinters, which do a lot more.

Hello??  Typesetters are NOT being replaced by laser printers.  Laser
printers are OK for moderate-quality output (and they keep getting better)
but in the world of serious printing a laser printer is how you get "proof"
output that's destined for a phototypesetter.

Let's also consider another side of this:  Just what is it that a laser
printer can do that a typesetter cannot?  Seems to me that laser printers
are mostly mimicking (photo)typesetter capabilities.

> Take a look at the output language of ditroff sometime.  Here are the
> only graphics objects in the language:
>
>   lines, thick lines (berkeley), circles, arcs, ellipses, and splines.
>   characters, fonts, font sizes.

If you think this somehow condemns troff, consider that previous versions
of troff had only horizontal and vertical lines, and lacked circles, arcs,
ellipses, and splines.  Lo and behold, troff is software and can be modi-
fied.  (It can even be completely rewritten--and was.)

> Ask yourself,
[various questions about how to deal with shading, halftones, text other
than horizontal, etc.]

The questions were mostly good ones - things you might like to do (if the
output device can handle it).  Some of them will probably show up in future
versions of troff as it becomes clear how to express the concepts at the
lower level.  For the time being, if you can't do it in troff, you include
a bit of PostScript (my choice) or whatever.

OK, I'm conservative here, but I'd rather have the new stuff done with
escapes until we know how to fit it in, than to have troff get buggered up
with all the half-baked cutesy featureitis that afflicts so-called "modern"
word processing and desktop publishing.

> ...Face it, troff is an elephant, which deserves
> respect, a gold watch, and retirement very soon.

Sure, and the same can be said about FORTRAN/C/COBOL, UNIX, etc...but until
something comes along that's good enough to replace them, we make do with
what we have, so that we don't have to give up the useful stuff to get the
frills.

> I believe TeX will survive longer because its equation-formatting and
> word-spacing ability is unparalleled.  But it will eventually succomb
> to the WYSWYG revolution, or its equations will be incorporated into a
> WYSWYG editor.

There are some of us who aren't likely to get on the WYSIWYG bandwagon at
any time in the near future simply because we think it's the wrong
approach.  I no more want to edit WYSIWYG than I want to fix programs by
editing the object files.  Personal bias, but I'm not alone.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com    uucp: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd     (303)449-2870
   ...Simpler is better.

bts@sas.UUCP (Brian T. Schellenberger) (08/08/89)

In article <77900017@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
|If you want to have "a text stream I can ftp to my friends", then you
|should think about postscript.  Postscript makes a great archival
|medium, as long as you treat the postscript file like a piece of
|immutable preprinted paper.  Why not mail that friend a postscript
|master, and he can print it out on most of the laser printers in the
|country.

You are dreaming if you think most of the laser printers are
PostScript.  Do you know how many LaserJets and--for that matter--
LN03's and 6670's are out there?  OK, I'm talking through my hat,
too, but I'd be *very* surprised if I'm wrong . . .
--
-- Brian, the Man from Babble-on.		...!mcnc!rti!sas!bts
--

hugo@griggs.dartmouth.edu (Peter Su) (08/08/89)

In article <8800031@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>/* Written 12:29 am  Aug  6, 1989 by cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.text */
>> I'm an historian. I've never seen an historical text that would have
>> been better by virtue of having the text wrapped around pictures.

Amen.

>"Troff (like OS/360) is a standard, hence it is good, and we should
>all exchange troff documents (yeah, like we should all buy IBM 360's!)"

Okay, I will not claim that troff is the be-all and end-all of text
processing systems.  I won't even claim that it is any good.  I will
claim that it is more powerful an flexible than any of the pretty toys
you can run on the Macintosh or other PCs.  I don't even like troff, but
I'd rather use it than MS Word, Macwrite, Word Perfect, or any of that
dreck.

>Comments about math and multiple columns.

Ok, let's get away from kid's stuff.  Most available programs are pretty
good at layout.  But, layout isn't all there is to a good text
processor. In fact, layout is arguably the LEAST important feature of a
good text processor.  A good text processor should let you do useful
things to your text easily.  To that end, no PC based text processor I
have used is any good, because I have never used one that could do any
of the following, relatively easy things:

1) Generate bibliographies from a set of bibliography database queries
(i.e. like refer or BibTeX).  These should be able to be formatted in
many different ways, depending on the document style.

2) Allow the user to label sections, figures, theorems, equations,
whatever, with symbolic names and then use those names to generate cross
references.  Like, "see Figure \name{foo}" generates "see Figure 2 on page
30..."  Oh, these cross references should be allowed to be numberedany
way I like (i.e. by chapter, section, subsection, part, *anything*), and
also formatted any way I like.

3) *Easily* split a document up into "modules" and have the capability
to only format selected parts when I need to.  Of course, this only
applies to batch type formatters, but none of the interactive formatters
allow you to link documents easily.  Like in Word, you can do it, but
you have to keep track of the starting page numbers for each document
manually, this is *stupid*.

4) Allow the user to give symbolic names to frequenty used constructs
(say, some mathematical notation) so that if that construct happens to
change, he/she only has to change the definition of the name in one
place, not all over his/her document.  Really, no text editor alive can
munch through say, 1000 pages of text doing a global replace without
being *real* slow about it.  And what if I'm changing, say

"g(x) sub x sup y" to "g(x) sup x sub y"... or something similarly
hideous?

5) Conditionally generate text in applications other than mail merge.

6) Automatically number sections of text in arbitrary ways.  Like, say I
want my Chapters numbered "a,b,c..." then sections "I, II , III..." then
the rest "1,2,3..." can your favorite word processor do this?  What if
later i decide that I don't like that scheme and want to change to all
arabic numerals.  Suppose I want to number things by chapter and
section, but I don't want a dot to separate the section number from the
chapter number, so chapter 1 section 1 is "11"...(I helped to format a
book where this was what the author wanted)?

7) Search and replace on regular expressions...

I can go on and on.  The gist of this is that I do not really care if
the latest wiz bang 'word processor' on the block can wrap text around
an arbitrary b-spline, or include 8 bit gray scaled images with my text.
I don't care if can let me edit text formatted in 8 columns, each in a
different type face with different line spacing.  All those CPU cycles
are being wasted displaying information that is not important until
after I have written my text, and I don't want to think about until
then! Meanwhile, there are no cycles left for useful, text oriented
functions like the ones I mentioned above.

And, to quote Leslie Lamport, without permission:

"As you are writing your docement, you should be concerned with its
logical structure, not its visual appearence."

or

"LaTeX was designed to free you from formatting concerns, allowing you
to concentrate on writing.  If, while writing, you spend a lot of time
worrying about form, you are probably misusing LateX."

I claim that WYSIWIG are overly concerned with form, and no concerned
enough about with the logical operations that result in the form
that you want.

I will also claim that LaTeX isn't the ultimate answer.  It has its
problems, and some of them are BIG, but I think that right now it is the
least awful of all the evils.

Thank you for listening,
Pete

hugo@sunapee.dartmouth.edu

Horne-Scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) (08/08/89)

In article <8800031@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@m.cs writes:

> /* Written 12:29 am  Aug  6, 1989 by cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.text */
> > I'm an historian. I've never seen an historical text that would have
                                                              ^^^^^^^^^^
> > been better by virtue of having the text wrapped around pictures.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

> Then you've never seen an illuminated manuscript.  Remind me NEVER to
> take a course from you!

This is not at all what he said.  See what I've underlined above.

					--Scott

Scott Horne                     Undergraduate programmer, Yale CS Dept Facility
horne@cs.Yale.edu                         ...!{harvard,cmcl2,decvax}!yale!horne
Home: 203 789-0877     SnailMail:  Box 7196 Yale Station, New Haven, CT   06520
Work: 203 432-1260              Summer residence:  175 Dwight St, New Haven, CT
Dare I speak for the amorphous gallimaufry of intellectual thought called Yale?

spage@cup.portal.com (S spage Page) (08/14/89)

Please don't send out messages of the form "Just try doing XYZ on your (yuck)
system" unless YOU REALLY UNDERSTAND THE OTHER SYSTEM.  You're just clogging
up the net.

I recently switched from ditroff heavy-hitter central (Sun Microsystems
tech pubs) to PC land.  Yes, it was a shock, yes it is different.  But snap
judgements and opinions that try to characterize the entire PC WP arena are
going to be wrong!  Don't trust anyone who pontificates about some package
unless s/he has spent months working with it (this especially applies to PC
software reviewers, whose opinions are mostly worthless).

The dynamics of the DOS software industry (same O/S functionality for years,
single-process, 640K RAM limit, corporate buyers, herd mentality) have
resulted in huge, monolithic, complex, many-layered standalone packages
competing in check-list wars.  The feature list for Microsoft Word for the PC
is about 7 pages long!  The program is so vast that it mocks attempts to
characterize it.  And before you can even make sense of someone's claim that
it's really great/it really sucks, you have to know:

   o	is he using direct formatting?  making his own style sheet?  using
	a pre-defined style sheet?
   o	Is he using the mouse or keyboard interface?
   o	Is he displaying in text mode or graphics mode?
   o	Is he in screen mode, show-line-breaks mode, or show-layout mode?
   o	Is he using Word's built-in features, using Word's predefined macros,
	writing his own macros, doing post-processing of Rich Text Format, or
	using add-on utilities?
   o	Is he editing 5 pages or 500?

I could sit here and blab about how great Word is (it's sorta great, actually).
But unless you understood the product and my use of it enough to make sense of
the above issues, I would not be communicating with you.  For this reason
I've given up trying to figure out if Word Perfect is a better package -- I
don't have a week free to start formulating the right questions.  The same
is starting to happen with graphics packages: they are becoming too rich, too
all-encompassing, too self-centered to converse about.

I apologize for going on at length on such a nihilistic theme ("Discourse is
feeble and futile").  I think a better way to structure this discussion is
"What should the ideal system be" with occasional informative "Well, here's
how TeX/Word/troff does it" interjections.

=S Page		GO Corporation

P.S.	To switch column formats in PC Word:
	<Ctrl-Z>		if you've defined a macro "<Ctrl-Z>".
	<Ctrl-Enter><alt-MD>	if you have a style sheet with a multi-
				column division style called "MD"
	<Ctrl-Enter><esc>fdml<tab>5
				if you do it with direct formatting
	<Ctrl-m>c		if you use the predefined macro to change
				number of columns.
	Is it harder or easier in Word than in troff?  Meaningless question??

plunkett@prcrs.UUCP (Scott Plunkett) (08/15/89)

> ...Face it, troff is an elephant, which deserves
> respect, a gold watch, and retirement very soon.

When the following can be done as easily with a WYSIWYG then troff
may be retired:

	cat <<! | tbl | troff
	." version %I%
	.
	.TS
	center, box;
	c s s
	c c c
	l r l.
	`pwd`
	_
	Name	Size	Owner
	_
	`ls -l | awk '{print $9 "\t" $5 "\t" $3}'`
	.TE
	!

Scott Plunkett           PRC Realty Systems, Inc.        ..uunet!prcrs!plunkett

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (08/15/89)

Re: "Troff is great because it lets me pass a document to my friend
and he can revise it, i.e. we can work on it together".

Answer: Well, maybe he cannot.  Are you aware that troff layout
depends heavily on the type of output printer?  Do you realize that
all your widow control (figure placement) depends on where the page
breaks end up?  Troff supports at least 3 types of printers (Imagen,
Postscript, HP Laserjet), and each kind has different character widths.

In fact, this week I reformatted an Impress document in Postscript,
and the output was lousy.  To share this document (original in
Impress) with someone using a Postscript printer would result in a war
over equation and figure placement.

This is a general problem not confined to troff.  So don't assume that
troff solves this problem -- it does not.  Nobody has solved this
problem.

On the other hand, using a device-independent standard like
postscript, at least you can pass a hardcopy to a friend, and
information will not be redistributed or mangled among the pages (ever
see what happen to a table when it crosses a page?)

grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (08/17/89)

In article <77900019@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

   Answer: Well, maybe he cannot.  Are you aware that troff layout
   depends heavily on the type of output printer?  Do you realize that

   This is a general problem not confined to troff.  So don't assume that
   troff solves this problem -- it does not.  Nobody has solved this
   problem.

--

Not true - The format output for TeX/LaTeX, DVI, was designed to be
device independent. An TeX has an internal fixed-point rational math

The only variability is in fonts & device resolution. You can run with
blacker/darker fonts & it'll look slightly different.

In article <77900019@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>On the other hand, using a device-independent standard like
>postscript, at least you can pass a hardcopy to a friend, and
>information will not be redistributed or mangled among the pages...

Of course, it may still look hideous if he hasn't got the same fonts.
--
V7 /bin/mail source: 554 lines.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989 X.400 specs: 2200+ pages. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

woods@robohack.UUCP (08/18/89)

In article <77900019@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> Answer: Well, maybe he cannot.  Are you aware that troff layout
> depends heavily on the type of output printer?  Do you realize that
> all your widow control (figure placement) depends on where the page
> breaks end up?  Troff supports at least 3 types of printers (Imagen,
> Postscript, HP Laserjet), and each kind has different character widths.

Actually, ditroff supports an infinite number of high quality printers
and typesetters, as well as an infinite number of graphics devices.
You see it is device independent, and only requires a description of
the device in order to produce output that may be directly translated
into codes for that device.

> In fact, this week I reformatted an Impress document in Postscript,
> and the output was lousy.  To share this document (original in
> Impress) with someone using a Postscript printer would result in a war
> over equation and figure placement.
>
> This is a general problem not confined to troff.  So don't assume that
> troff solves this problem -- it does not.  Nobody has solved this
> problem.

Troff solves this problem most elegantly.  With appropriate use of
displays, and user exits, troff will do its very best to make good use
of any output device specified.  All you have to do is describe the
rules you would use to place a figure or table on the page.  If this
is done sufficiently well, troff will always make the right decision.
If you need to break your own rules, provide options for the macro.

> On the other hand, using a device-independent standard like
> postscript, at least you can pass a hardcopy to a friend, and
> information will not be redistributed or mangled among the pages (ever
> see what happen to a table when it crosses a page?)

Ah, I think you've missed the point!  While PostScript may indeed be a
device independent page description language, it is not often used in
such a manner so as to be style, layout, and composition independent.
Troff, if used carefully, makes the job of being style, layout, and
composition independent much easier, while still retaining device
independence.  I don't think PostScript even contains the mechanisms
to deal with the higher level concepts of text processing, though I
suppose someone will write PostScript code to prove me wrong.  Why not
write a set of PostScript functions to emulate LaTeX?  I don't even
know it it would be possible.  If so, does that mean PostScript is
superior?  I don't think so.  Is assembler superior to C?  Is this a
good analogy?

Troff's fault is that it requires somewhat more work than most people
like to do.  Perhaps TeX with an extensible macro package would be
better.  I don't know, as I've not had the pleasure of learning to use
TeX yet.
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{robohack,gate,tmsoft,ontmoh,utgpu,gpu.utcs.Toronto.EDU,utorgpu.BITNET}
+1-416-443-1734 [h]	+1-416-595-5425 [w]	Toronto, Ontario;  CANADA

freek@mel.fwi.uva.nl (Freek Wiedijk) (08/21/89)

In article <152@prcrs.UUCP> plunkett@prcrs.UUCP (Scott Plunkett) writes:
>When the following can be done as easily with a WYSIWYG then troff
>may be retired:
>
>	cat <<! | tbl | troff

[omitted]

>	`ls -l | awk '{print $9 "\t" $5 "\t" $3}'`
>	.TE
>	!

Of course, this is much easier in a WYSIWYG (operating) system! Simply
say:

	Print Directory...

from the "File" menu in the Finder.  Would you be so kind to retire
troff now for me?  :-) :-) :-)

By the way: in order to make this work, I had to say
'{print $8 "\t" $4 "\t" $3}'  instead of  '{print $9 "\t" $5 "\t" $3}'.
Was this my fault, your fault or troff's fault? :-) :-) :-)

Greetings,
Freek "the Pistol Major" Wiedijk                  Path: uunet!fwi.uva.nl!freek
#P:+/ = #+/P?*+/ = i<<*+/P?*+/ = +/i<<**P?*+/ = +/(i<<*P?)*+/ = +/+/(i<<*P?)**

spencer@eecs.umich.edu (Spencer W. Thomas) (08/21/89)

Greg A. Woods spends a lot of time convincing us that troff can do
anything (in particular, it can do any page layout task one would desire).

In response, I quote from "Page Makeup by Postprocessing Text
Formatter Output", Brian W. Kernighan and Christopher J. Van Wyck,
Computing Systesms 2,2 (Spring 1989).

	... elaborate macro packages have been written for troff ... a
	package by M.E. Lesk does vertical justification ... [It] is
	intricate and slow, and does not address the more complicated
	task of mixing single- and double-column text with figures of
	different widths, which is characteristic of technical
	conference proceedings and some scientific journals.

	The difficulty with macro packages for page makeup ... is that
	it is simply too hard to write page-makeup programs of the
	necessary complexity in the clumsy and incomplete macro
	languages provided by these formatters.

--
=Spencer (spencer@eecs.umich.edu)

ian@sq.sq.com (Ian F. Darwin) (08/25/89)

Scott Plunkett (plunkett@prcrs.UUCP) writes:
> When the following can be done as easily with a WYSIWYG then troff
> may be retired:
>
> 	cat <<! | tbl | troff
> 	." version %I%
> 	.
> 	.TS
> 	center, box;
> 	c s s
> 	c c c
> 	l r l.
> 	`pwd`
> 	_
> 	Name	Size	Owner
> 	_
> 	`ls -l | awk '{print $9 "\t" $5 "\t" $3}'`
> 	.TE
> 	!

The conditition could profitably be extended to read:

"When the following can be encapsulated in a shell file and run on demand to
produce the given report without any WYSIWYG fumbling, i.e., the whole
operation of running the report, formatting and printing it can be
accomplished merely by typing one line to the shell (or one menu click from
X11), with *no* on-screen editing, no transformations and 'importing', in
short, no manual intervention, then you may begin to think about retiring
some of the automatic formatters currently in service."

--
Ian Darwin
SoftQuad Inc

--