[comp.text] Are there any 'real' fonts available?

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (08/26/89)

From article <4836@ubc-cs.UUCP>, by halliday@cheddar.cc.ubc.ca (Laura Halliday):
>In article <HOLLAND.89Aug25144558@m2.csc.ti.com> holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) writes:
>>
>>I'm curious.  Even if the font supports ligatures, are there any
>>software packages that will recognize that a ligature should be used?
>Now you know why I use TeX for things that really matter, ...

That is to say, yes, TeX does.  It will use whatever ligatures are
specified in the font metrics file for a font.  Those ligatures
in the font metrics file can be edited and changed as you please.
It's also possible to specify ligatures ad hoc in particular
places where they occur with the TeX \discretionary command,
which is placed at a "hyphenation" point, and whose arguments
give the string to be printed when no line break occurs, along
with the strings to be printed at the end of a line and the
beginning of the next, when one does.

			Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu