[comp.text] missing postamble/iptex

mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) (08/29/89)

Excuse my ignorance, new to LaTeX... etc., BUT
I got a version of TeX/LaTeX (HaTe ThIs!) going on an Atari ST
(please no snickers, and no it wont accept Nintendo cartridges).
However when I send the dvi file to my friendly SUN 3 at work
the printer (iptex, shell script calling an IMAGEN driver,
imagen1 ) program complains about a missing "postamble" and
questions if this is REALLY a dvi file then quits. (I guess dvi
means device NOT independent in this case.)

Any clues as to th epossible causes? Examing the dvi file with a
cousin latex'd on the SUN 3 reveals only a few differences (the
ST generated file is slightly larger as well).

Thanks in advance.

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (08/29/89)

In article <2932@tahoe.unr.edu> mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck)
writes:
>I got a version of TeX/LaTeX (HaTe ThIs!) going on an Atari ST ....
>However when I send the dvi file to my friendly SUN 3 at work
>the printer (iptex, shell script calling an IMAGEN driver,
>imagen1) program complains about a missing "postamble" and
>questions if this is REALLY a dvi file then quits.

The first step in examining a questionable dvi file is to run dvitype
over it.  If dvitype likes it, there may well be a bug in the dvi
interpreter (in this case, probably an ancient version of imagen1).

A current (beta-status) version of imagen1 is available as part of the
beta release of MC-TeX announced here several days ago.  The old
version did in fact have some problems with finding postambles on some
dvi files (in particular, those generated with versions of TeX that
like `run-on signatures').

In this case, though, if the dvi file was sent from the Atari to the
Sun over an ordinary serial port without using some error-correcting
transport protocol, or if it was sent via FTP without using binary
mode, the most likely problem is that the dvi file got mangled in
transmission.

phil@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) (08/29/89)

In article <19309@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>In article <2932@tahoe.unr.edu> mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck)
>writes:
>>I got a version of TeX/LaTeX (HaTe ThIs!) going on an Atari ST ....
>>However when I send the dvi file to my friendly SUN 3 at work
>>the printer (iptex, shell script calling an IMAGEN driver,
>>imagen1) program complains about a missing "postamble" and
>>questions if this is REALLY a dvi file then quits.
>
>The first step in examining a questionable dvi file is to run dvitype
>over it.  If dvitype likes it, there may well be a bug in the dvi
>interpreter (in this case, probably an ancient version of imagen1).

I remember a bug in older versions of iptex whose symptoms are similar
to this.  It would not tolerate more than a small number of filler
bytes at the end of the DVI file (16 comes to mind).  If it didn't
find the end of the postpost within a short distance of the end of the
file, it complained that it couldn't find the postamble.  We
discovered this when moving a dvi file made under VMS over to a Unix
machine.  The VMS TeX padded out with the dvi filler byte to the end
of the last block.  This is perfectly legal dvi, but at least one
older version of iptex didn't like it.

		William LeFebvre
		Northwestern University
		<phil@eecs.nwu.edu>

news@tahoe.unr.edu (News ) (08/30/89)

1) yes I transferred the files using KERMIT in binary mode
2) a kind soul suggested that some padding bytes at the end of
the file was the culprit- he was right! I cut 'em off and the
imagen driver was happy.
THANKS ALL!
From: mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck)