[comp.text] Public Domain Tex/Latex and drivers

stephen@temvax.UUCP (Stephen C. Arnold) (08/29/89)

We are getting a Dataproducts LZR 1230 for our site.  I'm looking for public
domain software to drive it.  Our site has a Vax 750 running Ultrix 2.3 (soon
to be 3.0) and a Sun 4 running SunOS/4.  I am interested in a version of
Tex/LaxTex and drivers.  The printer is able to emulate a Diablo 630, Epson
FX-80, and an HP Laserjet Plus.  I've been told that the HP Laserjet emulation
is the best bet for finding drivers to produce good output.

Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks

rick@pcrat.uucp (Rick Richardson) (08/30/89)

In article <184@temvax.UUCP> stephen@temvax.UUCP (Stephen C. Arnold) writes:

>We are getting a Dataproducts LZR 1230 for our site.  I'm looking for public

We bent over backwards to ensure that JetRoff would operate on HP Lasers
and compatible clones, and made several tweaks to accomodate some of
the poorer clones.  We even pointed out the incompatiblities to the
manufacturers of several printers and they have released upgrade ROMs.
But operation with a Dataproducts still eludes us, as evidenced by this
from a customer:

	The Dataproducts hasn't worked right yet. It starts out okay
	then hangs. It might not be enough memory, it might need a firmware
	revision, I just don't know. I set it aside for now and
	started using a real HP Plus just to get it going for
	a user.

I have had personal dealings with the Dataproducts Postscript printer
(the one that looks like it went through the Star Trek transporter
with 150% size magnification turned on).  The repairman visits this
printer about once a month.

In short, I don't have a high opinion of Dataproducts lasers.

--
Rick Richardson | JetRoff "di"-troff to LaserJet Postprocessor| Ask about
PC Research,Inc.| Mail: uunet!pcrat!jetroff; For anon uucp do:| Uni/JetFax

ekrell@hector.UUCP (Eduardo Krell) (08/30/89)

In article <1989Aug30.014935.3244@pcrat.uucp> rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:

>I have had personal dealings with the Dataproducts Postscript printer
>(the one that looks like it went through the Star Trek transporter
>with 150% size magnification turned on).  The repairman visits this
>printer about once a month.

We've had a Dataproducts LZR 1260 (same as the 1230 expect it has Adobe
Postscript on it) for 4-5 months now and it has never given us any
problem.

Either we're lucky or you're unlucky.

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell@ulysses.att.com