[comp.text] troff italic greek

bobm@agsm.unsw.oz (Robert Marks) (08/29/89)

In article <16009@vail.ICO.ISC.COM> rcd@ico.ISC.COM (Dick Dunn) writes:
>I wish that Adobe
>would produce another math-symbol font with a Greek alphabet specifically
>designed slanted.

Well, Adobe needn't jump --
It's already possible, using the \S troff function.  For instance,
here at the Australian Journal of Management, we use \S, \H and the
define function of eqn to automatically get oblique, synthetic Greek
letters in equations.  For instance, to get oblique beta, we define:

define beta	% "\S'+15'\s-1\H'+1'\(*b\H'0'\s+1\S'0'\h'0.2n'" %

Then beta inside .EQ/.EN or eqn delimiters will be printed
with a 15 degree slant, so it's really oblique rather than italic,
but the change in the aspect ratio I suggest above improves the
appearance, I believe.
I can post all our eqn definitions if there's a demand.
[Posted again in case the first item didn't escape.]

Robert MARKS, Australian Graduate School of Management, University of
              New South Wales, PO Box 1, Kensington, NSW 2033, Australia.

Phone:  +61 2 662-0271				Fax: +61 2 662-2451
Internet:   bobm%agsm.unsw.oz.au	JANET: agsm.unsw.oz.au!bobm@ukc
BITNET: bobm%agsm.unsw.oz%uunet.uu.net@WISCVM
BITNET: bobm%agsm.unsw.oz%uunet.uu.net@HARVUNXT
CompuServe:	>internet:bobm@agsm.unsw.oz.au
UUCP:   {uunet,ukc,mcvax,ubc-cs,nttlab}!munnari!agsm.unsw.oz!bobm

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (09/05/89)

<
<Well, Adobe needn't jump --
<It's already possible, using the \S troff function.  For instance,
<here at the Australian Journal of Management, we use \S, \H and the
<define function of eqn to automatically get oblique, synthetic Greek
<letters in equations.  For instance, to get oblique beta, we define:
<
<define beta	% "\S'+15'\s-1\H'+1'\(*b\H'0'\s+1\S'0'\h'0.2n'" %

Sorry, but \S and \H do not exist in the generic 4.3BSD troff.  Maybe you have
ditroff, or someone's enhanced troff, but otherwise it does not exist.

Reference 4.3BSD USD manual, page 24-6.
--
	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!brown

sakkinen@tukki.jyu.fi (Markku Sakkinen) (09/05/89)

In article <678@agsm.unsw.oz> bobm@agsm.unsw.oz (Robert Marks) writes:
> [...]
>Well, Adobe needn't jump --
>It's already possible, using the \S troff function.  For instance,
>here at the Australian Journal of Management, we use \S, \H and the
> [...]
>I can post all our eqn definitions if there's a demand.

Yes, please!
The eqn definitions as they are in DWB 2.0 are unusable with
PostScript postprocessors and printers even generally:
a lot of special characters become bad or unrecognisable.
Well, that is not the only problem with DWB 2.0 -
I wonder when AT&T plans to distribute an up-to-date,
production-quality release. (DWB = Documenter's Workbench (tm),
includes device-independent Troff, preprocessors and some
associated stuff.)

Markku Sakkinen
Department of Computer Science
University of Jyvaskyla (a's with umlauts)
Seminaarinkatu 15
SF-40100 Jyvaskyla (umlauts again)
Finland