[comp.text] unmarked footnotes in LaTeX

isaac@goanna.oz (Isaac Balbin) (09/08/89)

Well, I don't know if this is a bug somewhere, nor do I know
if it has been discussed before, but I will bring it up nonetheless.
On p156 of the LaTeX book, we are told that when using \footnotetext
"It produces a footnote, ... , except that no footnote mark is generated".
Indeed, the comments inside latex.tex tell us
%   \footnotetext[NUM]{TEXT} : Command to produce the footnote but no
%                              mark.  \footnote is equivalent to
%                              \footnotemark \footnotetext .
Yet, on p156 in figure C.1 we see that a mark _is_ inserted.
Indeed, when you try this example, or any others, the mark is inserted
as well.
So, is the documentation wrong? If so, what is the preferred way to
generate a footnote without the mark?

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (09/08/89)

The way that I read p.156, \footnotetext produces a footnote without
putting a footnote mark IN THE BODY OF THE PAGE.  It does put a
footnote mark in the actual footnote, so it will presumably match up
with the \footnotemark that you placed somewhere naughty in the body
of the page.

--
Jim Wright
jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

morrow@murdu.oz (Christopher Morrow) (09/09/89)

In article <1485@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu> jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu.UUCP (Jim Wright) writes:
>The way that I read p.156, \footnotetext produces a footnote without
>putting a footnote mark IN THE BODY OF THE PAGE.  It does put a
>footnote mark in the actual footnote, so it will presumably match up
>with the \footnotemark that you placed somewhere naughty in the body
>of the page.
>
>--
>Jim Wright
>jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

I accidentally discovered how to use this feature and disable footnote
marks the other day.  \footnotemark and \footnotetext do not increment
the footnote counter (This is in the LaTeX book) so what you do is
make the counter{footnote}{0}.  When the footnote counter equals zero
no footnote symbol is produced.   Note that this counter is
initialized to zero.

Chris Morrow
PS I only found this out whilst trying to accomodate some arcane
style. (non-style).