[comp.text] LATEX reg. tm. symbol/WANT

mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) (09/02/89)

I want a symbol for 'registered trademark' in LaTeX (note I do
NOT want \latex, I want a small circle with an 'R' in it). I
can't seem to find any doc. for such a beast in the LaTeX book.

Can this be made with TeX ? should \savebox be used to hold it
if it will be used often?

Thanks.
|Mike Whitbeck             |                              |
|Desert Research Inst.     | mikew@wheeler.wrc.unr.edu    |
|POB 60220                 |                              |
|RENO, NV 89506            | 702-673-7348                 |
|__________________________|______________________________|

Genius is more often found in a cracked pot than a
	whole one......
			E.B. White
The opinions cited above are my own, my employer has no
opinions.

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (09/02/89)

In article <2944@tahoe.unr.edu> mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu [wait, that's
a mimic---I mean, that is the address I found was wrong: wrc, not wrcr]
(Mike Whitbeck) writes:
>I want a symbol for 'registered trademark' ...
>Can this be made with TeX?

You can kludge one out of a circle and an R, but the right way to get
such a symbol is to design it with METAFONT.

>should \savebox be used to hold it if it will be used often?

If you make it out of circle-plus-R, yes.

Someone ought to do the TeX world a service and add `\reg' as a symbol
in the `lasy' font.

tla@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (terry.l.anderson) (09/05/89)

From article <19384@mimsy.UUCP>, by chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek):
> In article <2944@tahoe.unr.edu> mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu [wait, that's
> a mimic---I mean, that is the address I found was wrong: wrc, not wrcr]
> (Mike Whitbeck) writes:
>>I want a symbol for 'registered trademark' ...
>>Can this be made with TeX?
>
> You can kludge one out of a circle and an R, but the right way to get
> such a symbol is to design it with METAFONT.
>
>>should \savebox be used to hold it if it will be used often?
>
> If you make it out of circle-plus-R, yes.
>
> Someone ought to do the TeX world a service and add `\reg' as a symbol
> in the `lasy' font.
> --
> In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 7163)
> Domain:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris

I agree with Chris Torek that the ideal solution to a registered
trademark symbol is to create one with metafont.  But since I have not
found one, here is the macros I use with latex.

\def\@regmark{{\ooalign
  {\hfil\raise.07ex\hbox{\tiny R}\hfil\crcr{\scriptsize\mathhexbox20D}}}}
\def\regmark{\raise1ex\hbox{\@regmark}}
\newbox\regbox\setbox\regbox=\hbox{\@regmark}%
\def\regnotice#1{%
  \markedfootnote{\copy\regbox}{#1}}%
\def\markedfootnote#1#2{{\def\thefootnote{#1}\footnote[1]{#2}}}

Note that \@regmark produces a `R' with circle similar to the way the
copyright symbol is produced in plain.tex.  \regmark raises it to the
height normally used.  The box \regbox has the UNraised symbol because
I use it with the footnote macros to produce a registration notice at
the bottom of the page by calling \regnotice and passing the text I
want (eg. UNIX is a registered trademark of AT\&T) as the argument.
This requires the macro \markedfootnote which allows one to specify
the footnote symbol.

The macro \regmark could have used \copy\regbox rather than @regmark.
I have forgotten why I didn't.

			     --	Terry L Anderson
				AT&T Bell Laboratories -- Liberty Corners
				UUCP:	...!att!bartok!tla
				NET:	tla%bartok@RESEARCH.ATT.COM
				ATTMAIL: mozart!tla
				TeleMail: Terry.Anderson
				(201) 580-4428

urban@randvax.UUCP (Mike Urban) (09/06/89)

In article <3581@cbnewsm.ATT.COM>tla@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (terry.l.anderson) writes:

>I agree with Chris Torek that the ideal solution to a registered
>trademark symbol is to create one with metafont.  But since I have not
>found one...

In Scott Simpson's quicspool software for the QMS printer (in the
TeXdevices directory of the Unix TeX distribution), he has MF sources
for fonts providing all the Troff characters (the idea being
to be able to use the same driver software and fonts for ditroff
and TeX).  I have not used these myself, but here is his definition
for `Registered'.  I presume that `cmmf' is in effect here.

  cmchar "Registered";
  beginchar(oct"017",18u#,asc_height#,desc_depth#); autorounded;
  adjust_fit(if monospace:-3u#,-3u# else: 0,0 fi); pickup rule.nib;
  lft x6=hround u; x2=w-x6; top y8=h+o; bot y4=-d-o;
  circle_points; draw_circle;  % circle
  x9=x11=x12=.7[x6,x8]; x10=x13=.3[x4,x2];
  y12=y13=.5[y4,y6]; y9=.5[y6,y8]; y11=.5[y12,y9]; y10=.5[y11,y9];
  x14=.08[x4,x2]; y14=y9;
  path p;
  p=z9--z14{dir 0}..z10..{dir 180}z11;
  z15=point 2.6 of p;
  draw z12--z9; draw z13--z15; draw p;
  labels(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15); endchar;

--

	Mike Urban
	urban@rand.ORG

simpson@trwarcadia.uucp (Scott Simpson) (09/09/89)

In article <2185@randvax.UUCP> urban@rand-unix.UUCP (Mike Urban) writes:
>In article <3581@cbnewsm.ATT.COM>tla@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (terry.l.anderson) writes:
>>I agree with Chris Torek that the ideal solution to a registered
>>trademark symbol is to create one with metafont.  But since I have not
>>found one...
>In Scott Simpson's quicspool software for the QMS printer (in the
>TeXdevices directory of the Unix TeX distribution), he has MF sources
>for fonts providing all the Troff characters (the idea being
>to be able to use the same driver software and fonts for ditroff
>and TeX).

Actually, there are different drivers for otroff, ditroff and TeX since
they produce different output formats.  The troff fonts I created include
all the troff characters (including hands) and the characters are in the
same order as the Berkeley font catalog.  Both my otroff and ditroff drivers
use the fonts created from my hacked METAFONT sources, but my TeX driver
uses standard TeX fonts.  Knuth didn't leave me any space to add troff
characters to TeX fonts.

>I presume that `cmmf' is in effect here.

It is.  I stole as much as I could from the TeX fonts and created the
other characters I needed.  As I recall, the registered trademark symbol
looks OK but the fractions (i.e., 1/4, 3/4) look like hell.  I'm not a
great METAFONTer.
	Scott Simpson
	TRW Space and Defense Sector
	usc!trwarcadia!simpson  	(UUCP)
	trwarcadia!simpson@usc.edu	(Internet)

amanda@intercon.uu.net (Amanda Walker) (09/10/89)

If you have the AMS symbol fonts (which come on the UNIX TeX tape or are
FTP-able from Stanford), you can steal a registered trademark symbol out
of msxm10.  It's character code is octal 162.  Something like:

\font\tenmsx=msxm10
\def\registered{{\tenmsx\char'162}}

--
Amanda Walker