[comp.text] \em font overflows past right margin

apchoo@bruce.OZ (Albert P Choo) (09/12/89)

While preparing a paper, I came across a (non?)feature of LaTeX which I
cannot correct. Consider the portion of sentence which lies across 2 lines
on the output page:

                                ... aimed at boundary and
            region detection respectively. ...           ^
		   ^                                             |
		   |                                       right margin
      left margin

I had "{\em boundary and region detection\/}" in my source file. By chance,
these 4 words were split into 2 different lines and this resulted in the
slant of the character `d' overflowing into the right margin space of the page.

Does LaTeX have a way of dealing with this problem, or do I have to rephrase
my sentence and prevent it explicitly? Any help is greatly appreciated.
--
 Albert P Choo, Dept of Comp Sci, Monash Uni, Clayton VIC 3168, Australia  >
 ACS  : apchoo@bruce.oz                                                   >>>

phil@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) (09/12/89)

In article <1527@bruce.OZ> apchoo@bruce.OZ (Albert P Choo) writes:
>While preparing a paper, I came across a (non?)feature of LaTeX which I
>cannot correct...
>                                ... aimed at boundary and
>            region detection respectively. ...           ^
>I had "{\em boundary and region detection\/}" in my source file....the
>slant of the character `d' overflowing into the right margin space of the page.
>
>Does LaTeX have a way of dealing with this problem, or do I have to rephrase
>my sentence and prevent it explicitly?

It's probably bad form to have a line break between "and" and "region"
anyway, so I would recommend the following very complicated (:-)
rephrasing:

	{\em boundary and~region detection\/}

There is a chance (depending on how complicated the text around it is)
that the tie will cause a different sort of bad break, but it's worth
a try.

I'm not an expert in typography, but I believe that it is not a bad
thing to have an italic character hang out over the right margin.
Kind of the nature of the beast, no?

		William LeFebvre
		Northwestern University
		<phil@eecs.nwu.edu>