[comp.text] TeX stuff on Simtel...

gomez@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Roberto O Gomez) (09/14/89)

In article <Sep.9.17.01.54.1989.9080@athos.rutgers.edu>
hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:

>One other comment about the stuff on Simtel: There is a previewer
>called dvivga.  If you don't have a VGA, you may have decided not to
>bother looking at it.  In fact it works on VGA, EGA, or MCGA. .....

>There is a dvi2herc for Hercules.  So about the only monitor that
>there didn't seem to be a driver for was CGA.

But there is a driver, in the same directory where DVIVGA is! It's
called DVIEW [file: dview.arc] and it works on the CGA/EGA and on the
Toshiba, in 640x400 screen mode. I have used it on CGA/EGA on PCs. In
CGA mode it isn't beautiful, but it's tolerable. For those of us with
only a CGA card, it's a blessing. On the AT&T 6300, it works fine in
CGA (640x200), while running on Toshiba mode it uses the AT&T
6400x400 mode. Although in the hi-res mode the menu screen shows up
garbled beyond recognition, the preview page looks very nice.

About the only complaint is that it uses PXL fonts in the sequence
480, 526, 576, 691, 829, 996,... [i.e. 96dpi] Dview.arc has just the
minimum am fonts to read the .dvi file that accompanies the program.
You can coax it to use other resolutions, or use pktopx to translate
the 96dpi PK fonts that were distributed a while back for the Atari
previewer.  I have been able to preview my Ph. D. thesis by
substituting fonts, and though I'm not proud of my font substitutions
[anyone has a complete set of 96dpi fonts, in either PK or PXL
format?] I can put what I have for anonymous ftp if enough people want
it.  -roberto
--
Roberto Gomez, Physics Dept., Univ. of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh PA 15260
Arpa:	gomez@unix.cis.pitt.edu