[comp.text] IBM Script Language

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (09/12/89)

I am stuck with a standard that says all documentation should
be done using the IBM Script language.  This is O.K. except that
I don't like using the mainframe, where it is available.
I believe there is a subset of Script that runs under PCDOS (I do not think
IBM distributes it).

I am looking for source code for a Script subset.  I need to use it
under PCDOS and under AIX.  It does not necessarily have to be free
(although that is, of course, nice).
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

newbery@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Michael Newbery) (09/15/89)

In article <1122@msa3b.UUCP> kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
>I am looking for source code for a Script subset.  I need to use it
>under PCDOS and under AIX.  It does not necessarily have to be free
>(although that is, of course, nice).

We have a similar problem and a similar request. We have a LARGE existing
body of text written in Waterloo SCRIPT (mostly native SCRIPT, some GML.)
This runs on our IBM mainframe. We have many users of SCRIPT, with many
files, some of them very large.
The days of our IBM are numbered however, so we need to migrate the SCRIPT
files to something else. Any of the following would be acceptable:
Waterloo SCRIPT (& GML) running on MS-DOS, Unix, VMS, MacOS (or even OS/2 I
suppose).
A WSCRIPT & GML -> TeX convertor.
WSCRIPT & GML macros for TeX.
Other...? (we are open to suggestions)

Convertors have to do >= 99.99...% of the work, something that just
'helps' you convert is probably not good enough.

Free would be nice of course, but we are prepared to pay (at least as much
as we already pay for WSCRIPT)

--
Michael Newbery<newbery@rata.vuw.ac.nz> (...!uunet!vuwcomp!newbery if you must)
It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall;