[comp.text] amssmc40.300pk NEED

mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) (09/16/89)

HELP! I need amssmc40.300pk to print out pictex.dvi !

(is there another pictex.dvi manual out there that just uses the
cm* fonts of LaTeX ?)

I would prefer an FTP site (with internet address) if possible.

Thanks in advance.
 ~ ___________________________________________________________
 ~ |Mike Whitbeck             |                              |
 ~ |Desert Research Inst.     | mikew@wheeler.wrc.unr.edu    |
 ~ |POB 60220                 |                              |
 ~ |RENO, NV 89506            | 702-673-7348                 |
 ~ |__________________________|______________________________|

 ~ Committee... a group of people doing the work of one person.

phil@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) (09/18/89)

In article <2974@tahoe.unr.edu> mikew@wheeler.UUCP (Mike Whitbeck) writes:
>HELP! I need amssmc40.300pk to print out pictex.dvi !

The contents of pictex.dvi are copyrighted and you almost certainly do
not have the rights to reproduce that document.  I would strongly
recommend that you remove all copies of pictex.dvi that you have.  The
real printed copy of the PicTeX manual is available from the TeX Users
Group as part of their "TeXniques" series: Number 6, "The PicTeX
Manual".  TUG's address is:

	TeX Users Group
	P.O. Box 9506
	Providence RI, 02940 (USA)

		William LeFebvre
		Northwestern University
		<phil@eecs.nwu.edu>

mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) (09/19/89)

In article <1158@accuvax.nwu.edu> phil@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
|In article <2974@tahoe.unr.edu> mikew@wheeler.UUCP (Mike Whitbeck) writes:
|>HELP! I need amssmc40.300pk to print out pictex.dvi !
|
|The contents of pictex.dvi are copyrighted and you almost certainly do
|not have the rights to reproduce that document.  I would strongly

cool down Bill!
The pictex.dvi came in an archived TeX distribution with a
README  stating that the instructions were distributed only as
the dvi file. This implied to me that the dvi file was supposed
to be there-- I have received other PD programs with the manuals
sent in this fashion as it allows printing/viewing a manual but
without the source file it can not be
edited/altered/easily-plagarized. BTW perhaps it is intended
that the manual is meant to be viewed as opposed to printed-
nothing was said of this in the README file but the courts have
been very indecisive regarding copyrighted computer material
that exists/used in a manner that leaves no physical evidence
(one federal court said that copyrighted computer material is
NOT protected until and only when in the form of tangible
material such as a printout).

As far as copyrights go quite a bit of the PD
software is copyrighted but still distributed for free use (TeX
even!).

|recommend that you remove all copies of pictex.dvi that you have.  The

I have received one other piece of mail suggesting this- all
other mail told me how to make the missing font!

IF THE AUTHOR CAN READ THIS I SUGGEST THAT HE CLARIFY WHETHER OR
NOT HE WANTS THIS DVI FILE OUT LOOSE IN THE WORLD.

In the meanwhile, lacking the appropriate missing font, I do
intend to order the manual from TUG or to delete both pictex.tex
and pictex.dvi from my directory- I'm no pirate.

|real printed copy of the PicTeX manual is available from the TeX Users
                                   $35 (see I did send off for
				   the prices- even before
				   posting my question! But
				   don't ya gotta admit that
				   given a dvi file as
				   instructions in a
				   distribution tar that ya JUST
				   gotta see whats in the file?)

phil@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) (09/19/89)

In article <2979@tahoe.unr.edu> mikew@wheeler.UUCP (Mike Whitbeck) writes:
>In article <1158@accuvax.nwu.edu> phil@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>|In article <2974@tahoe.unr.edu> mikew@wheeler.UUCP (Mike Whitbeck) writes:
>|>HELP! I need amssmc40.300pk to print out pictex.dvi !
>|
>|The contents of pictex.dvi are copyrighted and you almost certainly do
>|not have the rights to reproduce that document.  I would strongly
>
>cool down Bill!

Sorry if it came out too strong.

I thought there was a font in the CM series that you could substitute,
so after typing in that message I was going to add the information to
the end.  I thought it would have made an interesting counterpoint:
"don't do it, but here's how to do it anyway."  Unfortunately, I never
found the font I was looking for and for some weird reason decided to
send the message anyway.  Isn't there a 40 point cmss font?  I sure
thought there was.

>The pictex.dvi came in an archived TeX distribution with a
>README  stating that the instructions were distributed only as
>the dvi file.

One of the first distributions of PicTeX "accidentally" included the
DVI file.  It was quickly followed by a plea that everyone who had
gotten copies of that tar file to please remove the dvi file.  I know
because we got such a distribution (via FTP) way back when....

I thought that the author's intent was to make the TeX source freely
redistributable (thus any document using PicTeX could be easily
reproduced at any site simply by obtaining a free copy of the TeX
macros) but that the documentation would cost money.

>This implied to me that the dvi file was supposed
>to be there--...

Yes, I admit it can be confusing.  How recently did you get this
copy (and from whom?)?

>In the meanwhile, lacking the appropriate missing font, I do
>intend to order the manual from TUG or to delete both pictex.tex
>and pictex.dvi from my directory- I'm no pirate.

In all honesty, it's probably not that big of a deal.......

		William LeFebvre
		Northwestern University
		<phil@eecs.nwu.edu>