[comp.text] Change bars in *roff

peterw@blia.BLI.COM (Peter Wisnovsky) (09/14/89)

I am working on some man pages and would like to be able to make
copies of them, edit them and print them out with change bars for
review. Does anyone know of a program that highlites the changes
between two *roff files? (Incidentally, I don't have ftp access to
anywhere...)

Peter Wisnovsky

bill@lxn.eds.com (Bill Doviak) (09/15/89)

In article <9262@blia.BLI.COM> peterw@blia.BLI.COM (Peter Wisnovsky) writes:
>I am working on some man pages and would like to be able to make
>copies of them, edit them and print them out with change bars for
>review. Does anyone know of a program that highlites the changes
>between two *roff files? (Incidentally, I don't have ftp access to
>anywhere...)

See "diffmk(1)". I use this frequently. Sometimes the result needs to be
repaired a bit.

--
Bill Doviak                         | US MAIL: Electronic Data Systems (EDS)
UUCP: vu-vlsi!lxn!bill              |          Lanark Building

flowers@osf.osf.org (Ken Flowers) (09/16/89)

In article <9262@blia.BLI.COM> peterw@blia.BLI.COM (Peter Wisnovsky) writes:
>I am working on some man pages and would like to be able to make
>copies of them, edit them and print them out with change bars for
>review. Does anyone know of a program that highlites the changes
>between two *roff files? (Incidentally, I don't have ftp access to
>anywhere...)
>
>Peter Wisnovsky

UNIX has a very simple tool for doing this that is
available on most machines:

    diffmk old.file new.file chbar.file

Where:

old.file     is the name of the original file

new.file     is the name of the changed file

chbar.file   is the name of the file you want to
             create with changebars.

diffmk puts in changebars and deletionstars into
the chbar.file using the troff .mc directive.  The
.mc directive places the character given as its
argument in the margin on every line until .mc is
called with no argument.  You can then process the
chbar.file with troff to get the changebars.

Hope this helps.

Ken Flowers
flowers@osf.org
Documentation Engineer
The Open Software Foundation

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (09/17/89)

In article <9262@blia.BLI.COM>, peterw@blia.BLI.COM (Peter Wisnovsky) writes:
> I am working on some man pages and would like to be able to make
> copies of them, edit them and print them out with change bars for
> review. Does anyone know of a program that highlites the changes
> between two *roff files? (Incidentally, I don't have ftp access to
> anywhere...)

According to my handy-dandy SSC UNIX System 5 Pocket Reference:

   DIFFMK - Build 'Change Mark' File for n/troff
   % diffmk old new change
   Arguments:
      old     original file
      new     updated file
      change  change mark input for n/troff

This comes with the Text Processing system.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    amc-gw!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

yost@esquire.UUCP (David A. Yost) (09/19/89)

In article <888@paperboy.OSF.ORG> flowers@osf.org (Ken Flowers) writes:
>In article <9262@blia.BLI.COM> peterw@blia.BLI.COM (Peter Wisnovsky) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a program that highlites the changes
>>between two *roff files?
>
>UNIX has a very simple tool for doing this that is
>available on most machines:
>
>    diffmk old.file new.file chbar.file

Beware diffmk.
1.  It runs ed, and ed (still) has some annoying hard limits that
    you can exceed, causing bizarre results.
2.  The last line of a range of filled text that should be marked
    with change bars may not be marked.  I think there was a hack
    you could do to the file to correct this, but I can't remember
    what it is.

I think change bars are an extremely valuable
facility, making it feasible to check the
correctness of successive document revisions
without things falling through the cracks.
(I mean, who is going to read every word of a
large document over and over.  Nobody.)

It's too bad that the automatic, reliable
generation of change bars is not taken more
seriously.

 --dave yost

morrell@hpsal2.HP.COM (Michael Morrell) (09/20/89)

/ hpsal2:comp.text / yost@esquire.UUCP (David A. Yost) / 12:42 pm  Sep 18, 1989 /
In article <888@paperboy.OSF.ORG> flowers@osf.org (Ken Flowers) writes:
>UNIX has a very simple tool for doing this that is
>available on most machines:
>
>    diffmk old.file new.file chbar.file

Beware diffmk.
1.  It runs ed, and ed (still) has some annoying hard limits that
    you can exceed, causing bizarre results.

One other thing to watch out for because diffmk uses ed.  Any line in the
troff input which consists only of a "." (not uncommon in troff files), might
confuse the output since a period is also used by ed to signify the end of
a changed or appended section.

  Michael Morrell