[comp.text] spelling-checkers for TeX

rokicki@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (09/21/89)

Most people `detex', then spell.  Then they have two documents, one
with correct spellings, and one with the TeX commands.  Neither is
really what they want.

With unretex, from labrea.stanford.edu:pub, you can merge these two
documents together automatically.

-tom

grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (09/21/89)

I've been using the VorTeX emacs package with a great degree of success.
If you use Gnuemacs and TeX, this is the best combination. VorTeX lets
you establish private dictionaries, either per-user, per-paper or global.
When you spell check, it acts much like ispell, however, it also allows
you to query the dict. to find pre/suf/in-fix spellings.

I belive that the Gnuemacs portion of the package is publicly available,
while the the remainder ( a TeX previewer and some other stuff ) costs you
about $100. None the less, the macros by themselves are very useful.

I picked them up on one of the Bezerkeley hosts -- perhaps Pehong Chen
(phc@renior.berkeley.edu), the author, might respond with more information.

Dirk Grunwald -- Univ. of Colorado at Boulder	(grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu)

jtkohl@quicksilver.MIT.EDU (John T Kohl) (09/21/89)

   From: rokicki@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki)
   Newsgroups: comp.text
   Date: 21 Sep 89 02:28:53 GMT
   Sender: USENET News System <news@Polya.Stanford.EDU>

   Most people `detex', then spell.  Then they have two documents, one
   with correct spellings, and one with the TeX commands.  Neither is
   really what they want.

Why not just use the '-t' option to ispell (if you use ispell)?  Not
perfect, but pretty good:

     The -t option selects TeX/LaTeX input mode.  In this mode,
     whenever a backslash ("\") is found, ispell will skip to the
     next whitespace.  Thus, for example, given
          \chapter {This is a Ckapter} \cite{SCH86}
     will find "Ckapter" but will not look for SCH.  The -t
     option does not recognize the TeX comment character "%".

--
John Kohl <jtkohl@ATHENA.MIT.EDU> or <jtkohl@Kolvir.Brookline.MA.US>
Digital Equipment Corporation/Project Athena

magill@operations.upenn.edu (PENNnet Oper/Planning) (09/24/89)

>      Most people `detex', then spell.  Then they have two documents, one
>      with correct spellings, and one with the TeX commands.  Neither is
>      really what they want.
>
>   Why not just use the '-t' option to ispell (if you use ispell)?  Not
>   perfect, but pretty good:
>
>	The -t option selects TeX/LaTeX input mode.  In this mode,
>	whenever a backslash ("\") is found, ispell will skip to the
>	next whitespace.  Thus, for example, given
>	     \chapter {This is a Ckapter} \cite{SCH86}
>	will find "Ckapter" but will not look for SCH.  The -t
>	option does not recognize the TeX comment character "%".

I had posted a query some time back to which I never got a response.
I happen to use Ispell and the ispell.el function for emacs.

Ispell.el does a nice job of passing the input through detex, and
making the corrections in your working buffer.

The basic question I had was (I'm not a lisp or emacs hacker) -

Has anybody gotten "ispell -t" to work via "ispell.el"?

I have a working version which still passes things through the detex
filter. I'm running GNU 18.54 on a DECstation 3100 Ultrix 3.1.

Of course, then we can debate which works better - detex or "-t",
as they both have different limitations.

--
William H. Magill 			 Manager, PENNnet Operations Planning
Data Communications and Computing Services (DCCS)  University of Pennsylvania