[comp.text] fig2ps dvi2ps apple laserwriter

mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) (09/22/89)

Help! I would like to incorporate PostScript pictures such as
made by fig + fig2ps in my TeX/LaTeX files. However when I send
the PS files (eg draw a picture with fig save the file and make
it PS with fig2ps - call the final file example.ps then print on
an apple laser printer) to an apple laser printer  it just
disappears!

It shows up on the laser printer's que then
disappears after a while but no paper comes from the printer!

What's missing (ok you wags- THERE IS PAPER IN THE TRAY).

BTW troff (with a PS print driver) files make it through and print ok,
also I have the same problem with dvi2ps.

Thanks!

lwh@harpsichord.cis.ohio-state.edu (Loyde W Hales) (09/26/89)

In article <2989@tahoe.unr.edu> mikew@wheeler.UUCP (Mike Whitbeck) writes:
>Help! I would like to incorporate PostScript pictures such as
>made by fig + fig2ps in my TeX/LaTeX files. However when I send
>the PS files (eg draw a picture with fig save the file and make
>it PS with fig2ps - call the final file example.ps then print on
>an apple laser printer) to an apple laser printer  it just
>disappears!

It hasn't gone to the Forever land, you just can't see it.  See, dvi2ps and
your laser work in cahootz to clip (for the non-graphics types, remove
invisible parts of) the drawing.  That is to prevent you from, say, asking
for the drawing to be enlarged--making it so big that it screws fourteen
pages with parts of drawing and confuses TeX (doesn't know this stuff) to no
end.

I'd be willing to guess that your problem lies in allocating space.  Are you
using the \special to include the figure in the text (LaTeX)?  If so, you
need to allocate \vspace BEFORE the \special!  If you are planning to just
print and use the snip-snip method of putting in the text, you'll have to be
more clear as to what you are doing...I'm not certain I see where you're
going wrong.

>What's missing (ok you wags- THERE IS PAPER IN THE TRAY).

Have you checked the toner :-)!!

-=-

Loyde W. Hales, II                      The Ohio State University
lwh@cis.ohio-state.edu          2036 Neil Avenue Mall, Columbus, Ohio  43201

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (09/26/89)

|I'd be willing to guess that your problem lies in allocating space.  Are you
|using the \special to include the figure in the text (LaTeX)?  If so, you
|need to allocate \vspace BEFORE the \special!  If you are planning to just

Well in the particular case of psfig, the insert is turned into a vbox
so TeX will allow sufficient space for it. But the advice about allocating
space holds true for some other \special mechanisms.

The other thing to look out for are the translation offsets that fig2ps
generates for standalone, centered figures. For insertion into documents,
this translation must be turned off.