[comp.text] turn off page numberings on troff

iu@grasp.cis.upenn.edu (SiuLeong Iu) (09/28/89)

Is there a way to turn off the page numberings when we use
the troff with -ms to prepare the document?

On the other hand, if we put number on the pages, can we put
number '-1-' on page 1 also?

Thanks is advance!

peter@aeshq.UUCP (Peter Mielke) (09/28/89)

SiuLeong Iu writes:
> Is there a way to turn off the page numberings when we use
> the troff with -ms to prepare the document?

at the begining of your document clear the center header string
variable:

	.ds CH

> On the other hand, if we put number on the pages, can we put
> number '-1-' on page 1 also?

I have problems with this but all you have to do is put in the macro
 .P1 before any text.

--
Peter Mielke                               {utgpu,mnetor}!geac!aeshq!peter
Environment Canada                         Atmospheric Environment Service

ez@uw-apl.UUCP (Eleanor M. Zitek) (09/29/89)

In article <14781@netnews.upenn.edu>, iu@grasp.cis.upenn.edu (SiuLeong Iu) writes:
> Is there a way to turn off the page numberings when we use
> the troff with -ms to prepare the document?

Use the .OH and .EH header macros described in "A Revised
Version of -ms" that is part of the 4.3 BSD distribution.
If you set them thusly at the beginning of your file:
   .OH ''''
   .EH ''''
you won't get any page numbers.

> On the other hand, if we put number on the pages, can we put
> number '-1-' on page 1 also?

Haven't figured this one out.  I can do it with -me, but not -ms.
There's always library paste.