[comp.text] DVI files to Postscript

verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) (09/28/89)

There seems to be at least four commonly used public domain dvi->ps
print drivers for Unix boxes.  There also seem to be a number of
tools that make it easy to create and include drawings and diagrams
in TeX, dvi, and PS files.

It seems to be a shame that everyone has done their own dvi2ps driver
with their own extensions, fixes, and improvements.  I am trying to
make a list of about various drivers:

	* What features the driver has?
	* Where the driver can be ftped from?

I am also looking for info on drawing tools, pre/post-processing tools,
etc for drawings and figures.

I will be happy to post a summary after I get responces.  It would
be nice to try and merge the various versions of dvi2ps back into
a single driver that would replace the current dvi2ps on the Unix-TeX
dist.
--
Mark A. Verber
System Programmer, Physics Department, Ohio State University

smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (J. Daniel Smith) (09/28/89)

In article <860@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu> verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) writes:
>It seems to be a shame that everyone has done their own dvi2ps driver
>with their own extensions, fixes, and improvements.  I am trying to
>make a list of about various drivers:
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!
Its nice to have lots of people working on dvi->ps drivers, but it is
also getting very confusing with all these different versions.  I have
source code for 4 or 5 different dvi->ps drivers on a machine here.
Each one has a few features that are unique to it.  (For example the
one that is currently installed as dvi2ps will do PostScript scaling
of a CM bitmap font if it can't find the right size.  This is really
neat, because then one can use say \font\bigtt=cmtt at 73.2pt without
any problems).  The list of features goes on for each different
version.

>I will be happy to post a summary after I get responces.  It would
>be nice to try and merge the various versions of dvi2ps back into
>a single driver that would replace the current dvi2ps on the Unix-TeX
>dist.
This would be WONDERFUL.  Let's get a big long list together of what
everybody wants in their dvi->ps.  I don't think there would be to
many mutually-exclusive type things.  This might be a big driver with
lots of options, but I think that is much better than the current
state of too many drivers.

So, here is what I would like in my dvi->ps (just off the top of my
head):
   * GOOD PostScript output (I assume this also means fast PS output)
   * Inclusion of other PS files (EPSF format).  Since the output will
     also be EPSF, it should be possible to include the output from a
     previous run of dvi2ps as a PS file in another.....
   * Support of ALL font formats.  I know PKs are the best, but we
     only want ONE driver floating around...
   * Support of Internal PostScript fonts.  A naming standard needs to
     be agreed upon here.  I have TFMs called Times-Roman.tfm and
     t-rom.tfm.
   * Support of other PS fonts.  Both user defined fonts (so I can
     generate Logos and the like in PS), and downloadable fonts (so I can
     use fonts from Adobe)
   * Font substitution.  Substitute missing fonts with "close" fonts,
     or with resident PS fonts.
   * I like the PS font scaling of Bitmaps mentioned above.
   * Control over the PS encoding vector (so I can use those neat
     characters that are in a PS font from TeX.  A CM section symbol
     doesn't look very nice if everything else is Helvetica).  Also, I
     think that the PS accented characters are probably better than with
     TeX.
   * All options controllable from a file.  A file like
     /usr/local/tex/.dvi2ps for standards for the local system and
     ~/.dvi2ps for however I might want things set up differently.  Of
     course the command line would override all of this, but it would
     be nice just to type dvi2ps filename most of the time.
   * Correct VM memory usage.  I should be able to print the PS file
     generated by dvi->ps on all PS printers.

I'm sure there are many, many, many more features that people would
like to see.  Some have become almost "standard" like landscape
printing, etc.

Anybody want to tell us out there in NetLand why this can't be done, or
take a guess as to how long such an task might take?

   Dan
J. Daniel Smith                      Internet: smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu
Michigan State University              BITNET: smithdan@msuegr

Yea, from the table of my memory,
I'll wipe away all trivial fond records.
             - William Schakespeare, Hamlet

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (09/28/89)

the following features were requested in a postscript driver for TeX
 1     * GOOD PostScript output (I assume this also means fast PS output)
 2     * Inclusion of other PS files (EPSF format).  Since the output will
 3     * Support of ALL font formats.  I know PKs are the best, but we
 4     * Support of Internal PostScript fonts.  A naming standard needs to
 5     * Support of other PS fonts.  Both user defined fonts (so I can
 6     * Font substitution.  Substitute missing fonts with "close" fonts,
 7     * I like the PS font scaling of Bitmaps mentioned above.
 8     * Control over the PS encoding vector (so I can use those neat
 9     * All options controllable from a file.  A file like
 10    * Correct VM memory usage.  I should be able to print the PS file
all but 3 and 7 are already in dvitops (not to be confused with
dvi2ps, dvitps or dvips). Since I started to use it at the start of
this year, I have seen no reason to return to the mad world of the
everchanging dvi2ps versions
--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)

sylvain@roxy.chorus.fr (Sylvain Langlois) (09/28/89)

In article <4776@cps3xx.UUCP> smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (J. Daniel
Smith) writes:

>   This would be WONDERFUL.  Let's get a big long list together of what
>   everybody wants in their dvi->ps.  I don't think there would be to
>   many mutually-exclusive type things.  This might be a big driver with
>   lots of options, but I think that is much better than the current
>   state of too many drivers.

You should try TPS (a "TeX PostScript package") from Stephan
Bechtolsheim; it got most of everything you are looking for. I'm
using it for about a year now and I'm pretty happy with it (although I
would appreciate it would be a bit faster...).

It is available by anonymous ftp from cssun.tamu.edu. Retrieve
tps.tar.Z. You can also get a Sun cartridge from Stephan directly
(drop me a mail if you want to postal address or send e-mail to
svb@cssun.tamu.edu).

Sylvain
--
----------------
Sylvain Langlois		  "Dogmatic attachement to the supposed merits

kevin@math.lsa.umich.edu (Kevin Coombes) (09/28/89)

In article <4776@cps3xx.UUCP> smithda@cpsvax.UUCP (J. Daniel Smith) writes
>In article <860@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu> verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) writes:
>>It seems to be a shame that everyone has done their own dvi2ps driver
>>with their own extensions, fixes, and improvements.  I am trying to
>>make a list of about various drivers:
>Amen!!!!!!!!!!!
>       (list of desirable features deleted)

I have begun the (probably long and tedious) process of merging together
various versions of dvi2ps, beginning with the three versions (by Larry
Denenberg, Peter Damron, and Jing-bai Wang) which are available
by ftp from june.cs.wahsington.edu. I currently also have copies of the
versions by Van Jacobson, Piet van Oostrum, and Greg Lee.

When Mark Verber posts the responses to his inquiry about drivers, I will
probably try to collect any other versions and merge their enhancements as
well. I will be happy to make this version available WHEN IT GETS FINISHED.

In the meantime, I would be very interested to hear about any other
features which people want in a dvi2ps driver. If you want to send them
by email, I will post a summary of responses.

Kevin Coombes, University of Michigan
<kevin@math.lsa.umich.edu>
<Kevin_Coombes@ub.cc.umich.edu>

smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (J. Daniel Smith) (09/30/89)

In article <SPQR.89Sep28090404@hilliard.ecs.soton.ac.uk> spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) writes:
>the following features were requested in a postscript driver for TeX
>all but 3 and 7 are already in dvitops (not to be confused with
>dvi2ps, dvitps or dvips). Since I started to use it at the start of
>this year, I have seen no reason to return to the mad world of the
>everchanging dvi2ps versions

Since the message about dvi->ps features a few days ago, this is the
third dvi->ps program I've heard about.  The point of my orginal
message was to get rid of all these dvi->ps translators and have just
ONE dvi2ps with all the features that everybody wants.  I listed a few
features that I wanted off the top of my head, but it was not meant to
be an exhaustive list.

I can understand that people have their own favorites of dvi->ps, and
I'm sure I would be very attatched to a particular version if I
developed it.  I think it great that so many people are willing to
work on PS drivers for TeX.  My suggestion is (and I don't think I'm
alone in this---someone else made the orginal posting), is that these
efforts be directed towards ONE SINGLE dvi->ps translator.  The idea
was to stimulate discussion about this---perhaps such a thing can't be
done.

Thanks for all the info about the various dvi->ps drivers, and I am
still very interested in hearing about the different versions and
their respective features.  But I am more interested in seeing what
can be done about having ONE dvi->ps driver.  (Of course I am talking
about UNIX here, but as I pointed out, I have seen 3 different dvi->ps
converters for UNIX in the past few days.)  I can also state that I am
very thankful to all of those who have the expertise to write such
programs and are willing to share them with all of us.  I just wish a
way could be found to have one dvi->ps programs with all the goodies
that everybody ever wanted in their dvi->ps.

Once again, to all the dvi->ps authors, thanks again for your fine
work.  Please don't take this posting in the wrong way....

A happy and thankful TeX and PS user,
    Dan

J. Daniel Smith                      Internet: smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu
Michigan State University              BITNET: smithdan@msuegr

People always get what they ask for; the only trouble is that they never
know, until they get it, what they have asked for.
                                    - Aldous Huxley

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (09/30/89)

   Since the message about dvi->ps features a few days ago, this is the
   third dvi->ps program I've heard about.  The point of my orginal
   message was to get rid of all these dvi->ps translators and have just
   ONE dvi2ps with all the features that everybody wants.  I listed a few
but if there is already  a program that does all you want, there is no
problem left, is there? But to be serious, I think the discussion is
premature, until the TUG committee for standards in drivers releases
its final report; they have been brooding over features that ALL
drivers should have, and when we know what that definitive list is, it
won't matter how many dvi->ps drivers there are, so long as they all
conform to the minimum requirements. They would eventually coalesce,
because no-one would bother to write new ones. The reason why we
currently have 157 dvi to PS programs (we're only running about 5 at
this site on various machines, so we're not up to much) is the lack of
agreement on features - we only have one TFtoPL, because there is no
doubt about what it is supposed to do.
--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)
Southampton S09 5NH, UK                S.Rahtz@sot-ecs.uucp    (uucp)

slutz@hpdtl.HP.COM (Eric A. Slutz) (10/03/89)

I can't find tps.tar.Z on cssun.tamu.edu

Anyone know where it is?