[comp.text] Redefining of Latex-commands.

f31958a@kaira.hut.fi (Mika Pekka Markus R{s{nen) (10/06/89)

I face the following problem: The \chapter-command of Latex uses too large
font size while making the chapter text and that doesn't fit to the style of
text. Is there any easy way to redefine the \chapter -command in such
a way that latex will use a other font size.  I will looking for getting
some advise from someone smarter than I.

lang@PRC.Unisys.COM (Francois-Michel Lang) (10/07/89)

In article <25678@santra.UUCP> f31958a@kaira.hut.fi (Mika Pekka Markus R{s{nen) writes:
>I face the following problem: The \chapter-command of Latex uses too large
>font size while making the chapter text and that doesn't fit to the style of
>text. Is there any easy way to redefine the \chapter -command in such
>a way that latex will use a other font size.  I will looking for getting
>some advise from someone smarter than I.

I'm no LaTeX wizard, but this should work:
Look in whatever .sty file you're using
(this is from bk12.sty), and find a definition
that looks like this:

\def\@makechapterhead#1{ \vspace*{50pt} { \parindent 0pt \raggedright
 \ifnum \c@secnumdepth >\m@ne \huge\bf \@chapapp{} \thechapter \par
 \vskip 20pt \fi \Huge \bf #1\par
 \nobreak \vskip 40pt } }

Change the "\huge" in the second line of that definition
to something like "\large" or "\Large".
If you include such a change in your root file,
make sure to surround the change with

\makeatletter
\makeatother
Francois-Michel Lang
Paoli Research Center, Unisys         lang@prc.unisys.com      (215) 648-7256
Dept of Comp & Info Science, U of PA  lang@linc.cis.upenn.edu  (215) 898-9511

charlie@mica.stat.washington.edu (Charlie Geyer) (10/08/89)

R{s{nen) writes:

>I face the following problem: The \chapter-command of Latex uses too large
>font size while making the chapter text and that doesn't fit to the style of
>text. Is there any easy way to redefine the \chapter-command in such
>a way that latex will use a other font size.  I will looking for getting
>some advise from someone smarter than I.

The quick and dirty way to fix this -- assuming that you don't want any
type that size in your document -- is to redefine \Huge and \huge to be
smaller, like this

  \let\Huge=\LARGE
  \let\huge=\LARGE

or, perhaps

  \let\Huge=\Large
  \let\huge=\Large
  \let\LARGE=\Large

Between the \documentstyle and \begin{document} commands.

Otherwise you will have to redefine the commands

  \@makechapterhead       \@makeschapterhead

that make the chapter headings and are defined in rep10.sty, bk10.sty,
rep11.sty, and so forth.  Copy the definitions into "foo.sty" and change
the sizes to what you want.  Anything in LaTeX can be redefined, but much
of it only in a style file.  So you have to make your own style file.  See
pages 85-87 in the LaTeX manual if you want to do this.