[comp.text] TroDocument Indexing

mcmullen@seqp4.ORG (Jim McMullen) (10/04/89)

I am trying to create keyword indexes (indices) and have been using
the Documentor's Workbench subj and ndx utilites.  The results have
been very time consuming, mostly incorrect.  Can anyone give me suggestions,
and/or point me in the direction of helpful documentation on this
subject?

			   Thanking the Cosmos in advance,

				 Ego sum
				 Jim Mc Mullen
				 Sequoia's Tech Publican (m2c:seqp4:mcmullen):

jimi@h-three.UUCP (jimi) (10/12/89)

In article <123@seqp4.UUCP>, mcmullen@seqp4.ORG (Jim McMullen) writes:
> I am trying to create keyword indexes (indices) and have been using
> the Documentor's Workbench subj and ndx utilites.  The results have
> been very time consuming, mostly incorrect.  Can anyone give me suggestions,
> and/or point me in the direction of helpful documentation on this
> subject?

DWB 2.0 contains a utility, ptx(1), for creating permuted indices
(AT&T's term for what others call KWIC (keyword in context) indices).
ptx is described in the DWB 2.0 manual pages. A familiar example is
the permuted index for a UNIX reference manual.

ptx(1) was part of UNIX before the text-processing tools were
unbundled.

ndx(1) creates subject-page indices; subj(1) generates a list of
a document's subjects.
--
Jim Ingram	          uunet!h-three!jimi | jimi%h-three@uunet.uu.net
h-three Systems Corporation   P.O. Box 12557 RTP NC 27709   919 549 8334