[comp.text] TeX mode in GNU-Emacs; followup: protecting \

matthias@mpx1.lanl.gov (Bjorn E. Matthias, M/S H831, 7-6241 or 7-7906) (10/14/89)

In article <1109@mtung.ATT.COM>, slj@mtung.ATT.COM (S. Luke Jones) writes:
> I just started using LaTeX, and I really like the LaTeX mode on

> I have a slight minor neglible problem, though, which is that when
> I auto-fill in either TeX or LaTeX mode, the \ (space) that I use
> in places like "Learning \LaTeX\ is neat" is not protected if it
> ends a line.  Is there a simple hack to LaTeX mode to make that
> terminal \ (space) construct safe from being auto-filled away?

..

If I understand your trouble correctly, then I suggest trying
\mbox{  stuff \ } to protect your \  spacing. Maybe even { stuff \ }
is enough. Unfortunately I am only guessing on possible solutions
to your specific problem. I know that I have been able to protect
fragile commands with \mbox{  } before.
Hope this helps!
Regards,
Bjorn Matthias