[comp.text] HP DeskJetPLUS

steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Steve Dempsey) (10/15/89)

In article <8910121603.AA14139@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> I wrote:
>I've been led to believe the HP DeskJetPLUS uses PCL3 and should be completely
>software compatable with LJ+ and LJII.  With 256K memory cartrige, some
>rather old dvi->lj code does not work properly.  Anyone find that DJ+ can
>replace LJ+/LJII easily?

I've now concluded that the subtle incompatibilities are too numerous and
well hidden for me to patch my dvijet driver.  One reader was kind enough
to direct me to a dvi->deskjet driver for a PC, but I need it to work
on a unix machine, preferably using pk fonts.  Is there an ftp site with
such software?  Thanks,

        Steve Dempsey,  Center for Computer Assisted Engineering
  Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO  80523    +1 303 491 0630
INET: steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu, dempsey@scarlatti.CS.ColoState.Edu
UUCP: boulder!ccncsu!longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu!steved, ...!ncar!handel!dempsey

mproicou@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Michael C. Proicou) (10/15/89)

In article <2881@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Steve Dempsey) writes:
> One reader was kind enough
>to direct me to a dvi->deskjet driver for a PC, but I need it to work
>on a unix machine, preferably using pk fonts.  Is there an ftp site with
>such software?  Thanks,

I ftp'd a dvi->deskjet driver from hpcvaaz.cv.hp.com a few weeks ago.  It's
a modified version of Beebe's stuff, and works fine.  It came with a disclaimer
about not being 'official' HP stuff, but it works.  Look for "pub/dvidsk.tar.Z"

Mike
--
Mike Proicou
mproicou@blackbird.afit.af.mil

kdb@cscraz.ncsu.edu (Kevin D. Bond) (10/17/89)

I have been using Nelson Beebe's dvijet driver on my DeskJet PLUS, and have
not had any problems, I use a 286 version of Unix, so I have rewritten it
to be a little more effiecient and use the compressed modes of the DJ+.

I will be happy to make these changes available to anyone that wants them.

-kevin

donr@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Don Reid) (10/18/89)

While the HP deskjet (plain and plus) are compatible with the laserjets in many
ways, the are also different in many others.  Differences include:

	Downloaded fonts
	Graphics
	Moving around on the page

Because of these differences I modified one of the dvi bipmap drivers
from N. Beebe in Utah for the desk jet.  A copy of the source is available
for anonymous ftp from hpcvaaz.cv.hp.com as pub/dvidsk.tar.Z.  I also sent
it back to Beebe, and it should be on his next release (soon I hope).

                                  Don Reid
                                  Hewlett Packard  Corvallis
                                  donr@cv.hp.com
				  1020 NE Circle blvd. Corvallis, OR 97330

This was done as a personal project, I just happen to work for HP.
HP makes no claims and offers no support