[comp.text] Possible TeX bug

jbw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Jingbai Wang) (10/21/89)

Subject: Re: Possible TeX bug. Help!

In article <113600012@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> gsg0384@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Hi,
>I've got a really strange TeX error.  while it was LaTeX-processing jqe.tex,
>it apparently looked for `amcsc10' rather than `cmcsc10' for the text under
>table environment.
>Of course, I am using CM fonts exclusively.
>Here is the session log which shows TeX error and the tfm fonts directory.
>
>--------------------------------------
>ardent2 jqe.d	204% more jqe.tex

>Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 351--359
>
>! Font \\psc\@viiipt=amcsc10 scaled 800 not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found.
>? X
>Output written on jqe.dvi (2 pages, 15900 bytes).
>Transcript written on jqe.log.
>ardent2 jqe.d   206% cd /opt/tex/fonts
>ardent2 fonts   207% ls
>./               cmmi9.tfm        cmssi8.tfm       icmex10.tfm
>../              cmmib10.tfm      cmssi9.tfm       icmmi8.tfm
>cmb10.tfm        cmr10.tfm        cmssq8.tfm       icmsy8.tfm
>cmbsy10.tfm      cmr12.tfm        cmssqi8.tfm      icmtt8.tfm
>ardent2 fonts   208%

It sounds to me that your LaTeX is very old or hacked locally.

It is a bug in your lplain.fmt, but not TeX itself. To solve this
problem, get the most up-to-the-date lplain.tex, lfonts.tex and hyphen.tex
from score.stanford.edu and regenerate
lplain.fmt
with initex and
latex
with virtex.

If you use an editor (e.g. emacs) to view lfonts.tex, you might spot
...amcsc10... which is for small cap font that is used in logos most often.

JB Wang

jbw@cisunx.UUCP
jbw@pittvms.bitnet