[comp.text] xdvi problems under dxwm on decstation 3100

don@chara.UUCP (Donald J. Barry) (10/21/89)

I recently installed the latest version (patchlevel 5) of xdvi
on a Decstation 3100 with Ultrix 2.0R7 running the dxwm window
manager.  I cannot get the input focus to change to the xdvi window,
and therefore cannot use any of the essential keyboard commands while
in this program.

The program works successfully under the uwm window manager.

Does some kind soul who knows more of X windows than me have any
suggestions as to why the code may misbehave under dxwm?  A patch
would be gratefully received.

--
Donald J. Barry       (404) 651-2932         | don%chara@gatech.edu
Center for High Angular Resolution Astronomy | President, Astronomical

wittig@gmdzi.UUCP (Georg Wittig) (10/26/89)

don@chara.UUCP (Donald J. Barry) writes:

>I recently installed the latest version (patchlevel 5) of xdvi
>on a Decstation 3100 with Ultrix 2.0R7 running the dxwm window
>manager.  I cannot get the input focus to change to the xdvi window,
>and therefore cannot use any of the essential keyboard commands while
>in this program.

I had the same problems and found the following workaround:
Compile xdvi with -DNOTOOL.

This isn't a perfect solution because page 1 isn't drawn before the window is
resized (upper right button under dxwm). But after that things work fine
(except that some commands don't work - but that might be a consequence of
NOTOOL(?)).

If you don't "resize" the window in the beginning, xdvi will die very badly ...
As I said before: My solution is just a workaround ...

--
Georg Wittig   GMD-Z1.BI   P.O. Box 1240   D-5205 St. Augustin 1 (West Germany)
email: wittig@gmdzi.uucp   phone: (+49 2241) 14-2294