[comp.text] troff isn't stagnant

lee@sq.sq.com (Liam R. E. Quin) (10/27/89)

In article <2601@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@jarthur.UUCP (D.A.Hosek) writes:
>In article <71781@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Gary Perlman  writes:
>> while systems like troff and TeX, which have a far smaller market,
>>are stangnant.
>
>Actually, TeX and LaTeX are not stagnant

And neither, of course, is troff:
AT&T may have frozen Documenter's WorkBench, but companies such as Image
Networks, Elan and SoftQuad Inc. are continuing development.

Probably SoftQuad have made the most visible changes (all of the vendors
retainiong compatibility with older versions as far as I am aware), but
none of the products are in any way static.

At least two of those companies (Elan and SoftQuad) are on the net.

Lee
--
Liam R. Quin
lee@sq.com or {uunet!utai, utzoo}!lee until Dec. 20 (Just visiting)

rick@pcrat.uucp (Rick Richardson) (10/28/89)

In article <1989Oct27.013038.20902@sq.sq.com> lee@sq.com (Liam R. E. Quin) writes:
>>Actually, TeX and LaTeX are not stagnant
>
>And neither, of course, is troff:
>AT&T may have frozen Documenter's WorkBench, but companies such as Image
>Networks, Elan and SoftQuad Inc. are continuing development.

Even AT&T's troff isn't stagnant.  There's a DWB 3.0 release internal
to AT&T (works w/JetRoff), and I received mail from Brian Kernighan
this past summer that indicated that he was working on another
version of troff.

Whether or not AT&T's software licensing department is stagnant,
well, that's another question entirely.

-Rick
--
Rick Richardson | JetRoff "di"-troff to LaserJet Postprocessor| Ask about
PC Research,Inc.| Mail: uunet!pcrat!jetroff; For anon uucp do:|   FaxiX

baur@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Steven L. Baur) (10/28/89)

From article <1989Oct27.013038.20902@sq.sq.com>, by lee@sq.sq.com (Liam R. E. Quin):
:
: Probably SoftQuad have made the most visible changes (all of the vendors
: retainiong compatibility with older versions as far as I am aware), but
: none of the products are in any way static.

Just curious, but ... how much do these packages cost?  At my company
software comes out of a different money pool than computer accounts with
FTP access.  And, it is harder than h*** to get money for software upgrades.

Unless the answer is *free by anonymous FTP or equivalent* I think I will
take TeX.

--
steve	baur@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM