[comp.text] What Font Carts should I buy?

rfg@ics.uci.edu (Ron Guilmette) (10/31/89)

In article <4291@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi> tml@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) writes:

>Yes there are probably several, the one we use is called DVIJEP and is
>part of a family of DVI drivers by Nelson Beebe.  It is available for
>anonymous ftp from science.utah.edu (a TOPS-20 (36-bit) host, so be
>careful when transferring binary files).  We use version 2.06 from
>1987 for the LaserJet Plus, but it works great with the LaserJet II,
>too.

OK, folks.  This is where I show my ignorance.  Is the LJ II the brand new
four-ppm printer I have read about recently?  Or is that called something
else?

Anyway, I'm planning on getting one of the (inexpensive) new HP 4-ppm units,
and I'd like to use TeX on it.  (Actually I *must* use TeX on it.)

Three questions:

	Is this possible?

	Should I try using the DVI => HP/LJ driver mentioned above, or will
	I need a different driver.

	Assuming that I'm willing to spend lots of money to get lots and lots
	and LOTS of fonts, what extra font cartriges should I buy?  I seem
	to recall seeing an item somewhere long ago that talked about
	some third party manufacturer of HP compatible font cartriges
	which was selling a single cartrige with a TON of fonts in it.
	Are such things available yet for the new 4-ppm HP printer?

Thanks in advance.

// rfg