[comp.text] Tex in infinite input loop?

dfk@grad13.cs.duke.edu (David F. Kotz) (10/30/89)

I just installed TeX 2.95 and have found one problem. If, when it asks
for input from the terminal, the user types a ^D, it goes into an
infinite loop, printing the prompt over and over until it is killed.
Note that it doesn't stop and wait between printing prompts! This one
can't be solved by answering 'null' or the like. ^\ is my current
solution. Yuck. Is this a common bug, or just here? Is there a patch?

David Kotz

Department of Computer Science, Duke University, Durham, NC 27706 USA
ARPA:	dfk@cs.duke.edu
CSNET:	dfk@duke
UUCP:	decvax!duke!dfk

jesse@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Jesse Lee) (10/31/89)

I have the same problem. The way I avoid this kind of infinite
loop is to create an invisible file ".tex" with only one line
"\bye". When ones presses control-D, the TeX will read this
invisible file. I look at those infinite looping messages
and all of them are just the same: "Can't find any file .tex".

I am also looking for better solution. I would appreciate
someone out there can tell me how to avoid this kind of
infinite loop.

Jesse Lee
jesse@mssun7.msi.cornell.edu

smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (J. Daniel Smith) (10/31/89)

In article <15924@duke.cs.duke.edu> dfk@grad13.cs.duke.edu (David F. Kotz) writes:
>I just installed TeX 2.95 and have found one problem. If, when it asks
>for input from the terminal, the user types a ^D, it goes into an
>infinite loop, printing the prompt over and over until it is killed.
Same problem here with UNIX TeX 2.95.
   Dan

J. Daniel Smith                      Internet: smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu
Michigan State University              BITNET: smithdan@msuegr
                                       Usenet: uunet!frith!smithda

We have more useless information than ignorance of what is useful.
                            - Vauvenargues