[comp.text] Eroff: Lanscaping Header and Footers

paulb@zds-ux.UUCP (Paul E. Berg) (11/10/89)

In article <580@telesoft.com>, colleen@telesoft.com (Colleen Wirth @second)
writes:
> Hello fellow *roff users.  I have the following problem:  I need to
> print manuals on 81/2" x 11" paper, but then the paper needs to be
> cropped down to 7" x 9".  This is simple to do by setting the page
> length to be just 9", and setting the proper line length and page offset.
> Unfortunately, I now need to print so that pages can first be run through a
> xerox machine, and then cropped.  See below:
>
>               odd page          even page
> 	     _____________     _____________
> 	    |     header  |   |  header     |
> 	    |    text     |   |text         |
> 	    |      text...|   |  text...    |
> 	    |      text...|   |  text...    |
> 	    |    text     |   |text         |
> 	    |      text...|   |  text...    |
> 	    |     footer  |   |  footer     |
> 	    |             |   |             |
> 	    |             |   |             |
> 	     -------------     -------------

Just set the page offset ".po" and line length ".ll" AND THE
title length ".lt" so that your output is centered.

                odd page          even page
  	     _____________     _____________
  	    |   header    |   |   header    |
  	    |  text       |   |  text       |
  	    |    text...  |   |    text...  |
  	    |    text...  |   |    text...  |
  	    |  text       |   |  text       |
  	    |    text...  |   |    text...  |
  	    |   footer    |   |   footer    |

You now have to crop both sides of the two sided copies to get your
final format, but you won't have to hand paste anything (and you
don't need to re-write any macros).

Paul E. Berg | UUCP: ...uunet!zds-ux!paulb
#include <std.disclaimer>