[comp.text] Legal Size Printing on Apple LaserWriter

len@rufus.math.nwu.edu (Len Evens) (11/30/89)

	We have some Apple Laser Writers (both I and II) connected
to Suns running Transcript software.   We use TeX and dvi2ps to
print documents.   I have tried without success printing documents
longer than 11 inches by setting the page size longer in the TeX
source file, using dvi2ps, and feeding a 14 inch page through the
manual feed tray.   I have just tried this with the Laser Writer I
and a Sun 3/160 running one of the earlier versions of Transcript
so far.   There are a couple of things I don't understand.  First,
dvi2ps seems to work, and something may be fed to the printer,
but nothing is actually printed.  (This sometimes happens with other
TeX documents for reasons we don't understand.)   Secondly, I thought
that when you feed paper manually, the feed from the paper
tray is disabled, but this does not seem to be the case for our
printer when using  say `lpr <document>'; both pages are fed to
the printing engine.  Presumably, I can get around this by removing
the paper tray, but I would like to know if that particular printer
is behaving normally.

	Any information question would be appreciated.

Leonard Evens                      len@math.nwu.edu
Department of Mathematics
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL 60208
312-491-5537

In article <1705@accuvax.nwu.edu> len@rufus.math.nwu.edu (Len Evens) writes:
>... setting the page size longer in the TeX source file, using dvi2ps,
>and feeding a 14 inch page through the manual feed tray [fails].

The LaserWriter (like many/most/all? low-cost PostScript printers) has
a chunk of memory that it can divide.  Some of the memory has to be used
to hold a bitmap for the current page, and the rest can be used as `VM'.
The amount of memory dedicated to the bitmap is set by a `mode changing
command' (these are actually PostScript procedures defined in systemdict).
By default, there is enough memory to write to about 8 inches by about
10.5 inches.  The `letter' command reserves more image area, making less
memory available as VM.

>... Secondly, I thought that when you feed paper manually, the feed from
>the paper tray is disabled,

You must set `manualfeed' in the statusdict to `true':

	statusdict /manualfeed true put

will do it.

Depending on your installation, you may have to set letter mode, and
set manualfeed, through the queueing system.