[comp.text] dvips

rokicki@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas Rokicki) (07/11/87)

Apparently ftp'ing from rocky is a little more difficult than
I thought.  Okay, dvips is available from labrea.stanford.edu
in /pub/dvips.shar.Z.  Sorry for the mistake.    -tom

rokicki@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas Rokicki) (12/18/87)

To get a freely redistributable TeX dvi to PostScript program,
anonymous ftp from labrea.stanford.edu pub/dvips.tar.Z.  Oh,
bibtex.c.Z is also there.  It's written for 300 dpi printers,
but change a parameter in the include file and in the tex.lpro
file, and it will work for any dpi.  It also has some support
for graphics.

If it's for AmigaTeX, Tony, give me a call . . .

priol@irisa.UUCP ( Equipe Hypercubes) (11/29/88)

Does someone know where i can get programs other than 'dvips' which print
eepic and epic graphics on a laserwriter ?

Thanks in advance.

--
Thierry PRIOL                                Phone:  99 36 20 00
IRISA                                        Fax:    99 38 38 32

dinh@burns.twinsun.com (08/10/89)

This version of dvips does not seem to handle the \special keywords
"hscale" and "vscale" which are used to load in a postscript file.

For example,
\special{assembly.ps hoffset=125 voffset=0 hscale=0.5 vscale=0.5}
will cause dvips to produce the following messages:

invalid  keyword or value in \special: "hscale" ignored.
invalid  keyword or value in \special: "vscale" ignored.

I am not very familiar with the \special command so I wonder if any
text gurus out there knows of an easy fix to this problem.

				Dinh
				dinh@cs.ucla.edu (ARPAnet)
				dinh@twinsun.com (uucp)

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (08/11/89)

In article <23@looney.twinsun.com>, dinh@burns.twinsun.com writes:
> This version of dvips does not seem to handle the \special keywords
> "hscale" and "vscale" which are used to load in a postscript file.

A few notes.  First of all, 3.4 is a beta version, and bug reports
should go to me, not to public distribution.  The one you mention
will be fixed; how has not been specified.  (Specifically, some
dvi2ps programs use hscale=0.34 (a fraction); some use hscale=34
(a fraction times 100 rounded to an integer).  I've got to figure
out a convenient way to select between the two interpretations.)

The program should be released for general consumption by TUG.

-tom

rokicki@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (09/23/89)

To those who don't read comp.text for comp.TeX.dvi.drivers.for.PostScript,
please hit `N' now . . .

Now, to hit a few birds with one post.  The LPS040 (at least, the ones
I've played with) have 1M of virtual memory.  The Apple LaserWriter
has 180K.  The QMS PS810 has 400K.  The NeXT machine (bless its soul)
has as much as you care; 1M seems to work.

It's `dvips', not dvi2ps.

Many print spoolers attempt to interpret %% comments---and fail
miserably in their job.  You might try the -N option to disable these
comments and see if things work then.  (This can also be specified in
config.ps as a line starting with `N').

The VM specified in config.ps (on a line starting with `m') is the
amount of VM free in the printer during normal operation.  If your
system `initializes' the printer with some prolog files, this VM may
not be as high as you might like.  Thus, you might try reducing this
parameter.  Setting it to less than 100K, though, will probably not
work very well; I recommend at least 140K for most documents.  (The
Apple LaserWriter has 180K, and that's one of the most
memory-constrained printers around.)  To monitor free VM during a job,
there are some lines in tex.lpro which can be uncommented (don't
forget the one in the definition of /eop.)

Still don't know how much VM in the machine?  Send a file something
like the following:

%! PostScript, fool
/Times-Roman findfont 30 scalefont setfont
144 432 moveto
vmstatus
   40 string cvs show ( ) show
   40 string cvs show ( ) show
   40 string cvs show ( ) show
showpage

The first is total available VM, the second is VM in use, the third
is the save level.  You should use the first less the second.

Yes, 4.0 does have some minor problems; 4.1 should be available soon.

-tom

atula@cs.keele.ac.uk (Atula Herath) (12/02/89)

Hi,

I've installed dvips, and when I try to print the postscript it produces
in Apple Laser Writer, the error message

  offending command : bop
  stack :

printed on the paper. I have changed the VM to 100000 (in config.ps file)
and later tried with (50000 60000 70000 80000 90000, with D 300, of course).

Could somebody kindly tell me what's going on here?

Thanks in advance.

Athula (atul%@uk.ac.keele.cs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk)

--

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (12/03/89)

In article <1196@kl-cs.UUCP>, atula@cs.keele.ac.uk (Atula Herath) writes:
> I've installed dvips, and when I try to print the postscript it produces
> in Apple Laser Writer, the error message
>   offending command : bop
>   stack :

Your spooler or printer is removing the %%BeginSetup/%%EndSetup section.
Use the -N flag to disable structured comments and things should work again.

Might want to get 4.21 from labrea.stanford.edu as well . . .

-tom