[comp.text] Cyrillic font for TeX

zag@gauss.Princeton.EDU (Gianluigi Zanetti) (12/09/89)

	Do cyrillic fonts (for TeX) exist ? And if it is true where can I get them ?

	Best  regards,

	Gianluigi Zanetti (zag@acm.princeton.edu) ((609) 258-5375)
	ACM, Princeton University,
	Fine Hall Rm-207,
	Washington Road,
	Princeton NJ 08544

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (D.A. Hosek) (12/09/89)

The following is from the RUSTEX-L list:
>From: Dimitri Vulis <DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET>
Subject: Cyrillic fonts for TeX: unexpected problems

I received several queries about Cyrillic fonts for TeX that could be used in
conjunction with the hyphenation patterns. It's a bit of a problems. I will try
to describe the situation as I see it; I apologize if I make any mistakes of
offend someone inadvertently.

Note: now that we have this list, why not use it for such queries?

0. OCLC was rumored to have a Cyrillic font, which I've never seen, and which
one can't get now anyway.

1. There are the AMS Cyrillic fonts, that are 'widely' available and only come
in regular and bold. You can get the PK files for them, and a number of other
good fonts, from AMS for some small fee (US$40?). I guess they're also on
various servers.

You can also get the MF79 source to these fonts; I once got it from
SCORE.STANFORD.EDU. You won't be able to compile them with MF84, of course.

You can use these fonts with Russian TeX. Problems:

a. You have to change rmacro.sty's definition of \ui (just comment out the 2
lines where it says uwash and uncomment the ones where it says AMS). TeX won't
fully hyphenate words that contain \ui, resulting in many overfull boxes.

Note: I wonder if TeX 3.0 or MLTeX has/will have some way of handling accented
letters in hyphenation patterns.

b. You have to use PLTOTF/TFTOPL to delete all the ligatures, except ' and -
ones, from the TFM file. Use the control sequences defined in RMACRO.STY
instead of ligatures. Don't use \cydot. Unfortunately, this (very elegant) idea
cannot coexist with hyphenation.

c. Without italics, small caps (kapitel'), typewriter, and other varieties, you
can't do much fancy typesetting.

2. A set of Cyrillic fonts was developed at the The Institute for High Energy
Physics in Serpukhov (IFV\'E).

3. Ditto, Humanities and Arts Computing Center, University of Washington,
Seattle.

(2) and (3) are of about the same quality. (2) has a typewriter (monospace)
variants, making it more useful for computer program listings, etc, which (3)
lacks. (2) lacks 'kapitel'' for words like 'lemma' and 'teorema', which (3)
has. Both have italics (kursiv) and sans-serif (bez zasechek) variants. Both
have some letters that could stand improvement. (3) also had Serbian,
Ukrainian, etc, letters (as does (1)), and the 3 `pre-revolutionary' letters.
I guess both are to be considered beta-testable.

I heard that IFV\'E will ask the Polygraphic Institute in Moscow to look at
their (2) MF code, which would probably greatly improve it.

I heard that AMS will 'soon' start distributing (3) instead of (1) as 'AMS
Cyrillic'; they were supposed to do it as of Sept. 1, but were delayed (perhaps
by a few months).

The contact for (2) is Alexander Samarin samarin@vxcern.decnet.cern.ch, from
IFV\'E, visiting CERN. He is very knowledgeable about Russian TeX.

The contact for (3) is Thomas Ridgeway, ridgeway@blake.acs.washington.edu, the
director of the computing center.

Both of these people are fairly busy, and I feel a little uneasy about posting
their addresses. It's probably not a good idea to bother them (or anyone) with
requests for 'more information'.

Wishful thought 1: it would be nice to have ONE good Cyrillic font that
everyone agrees on and that can use CM drivers. (2) is probably better in this
respect.

Wishful thought 2: it would be nice to have SOME set of Cyrillic PKs available,
with the understanding that they'll be phased out when the fonts are complete
(sort of like we used AM until we got CM).

Comments, replies, corrections to the list, please.

Dimitri Vulis
Department of Mathematics
CUNY GC

------------------------------------End included message--------------------

I suggest that if you have any questions, you address them to the
RUSTEX-L list. Here is some information on subscribing to that list
and the like:

>From: DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET
Subject: Announcing RUSTEX-L on LISTSERV@UBVM; Deane Merrill's letter; TeX 3...

Here's some really good news:

Jim Gerland, GERLAND@UBVM has graciously agreed to host the RUSTEX-L list on
LISTSERV@UBVM. This will be of tremendous help to the Russian TeX project.
Thanks again Jim!!! All the recipients of this message really appreciate this.

This list (RUSTEX-L) should be used 1) for posting messages pertaining to the
Russian TeX project and to Russian text processing in general: Russian
hyphenation algorithms, Russian telecommunications, using ISO 8859-5 (aka
GOSTCII) on various systems, etc; 2) for distributing Russian text processing
software (including, but not limited to the Russian TeX files and GOSTCII fonts
for various systems). (I will place these files online as soon as I figure out
just how :)

We will no longer have to try desperately to remember what to cc: to whom or to
use 50-line distribution files, like the one above. Instead, one can send
mail to RUSTEX-L@UBVM (or UBVM.BITNET) and it will be automatically distributed
to all the subscribers to this list. To continue receiving my TeX-related
postings (I'm done with distribution files!), please send the following command
to LISTSERV@UBVM:

SUB RUSTEX-L Your name.

To unsubscribe, send

UNSUB RUSTEX-L

to LISTSERV@UBVM. Please don't send commands to RUSTEX-L, only to LISTSERV!

If you have any questions/problems/comments, please don't hesitate to contact
me at DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET. I'm the 'list owner' and will do my best to help.

-dh
--
"Odi et amo, quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
   nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior"          -Catullus