[comp.text] PK -> HP SFP conversion anyone?

clewis@eci386.uucp (Chris Lewis) (12/14/89)

I'm trying to include some HP Laserjet font downloading features into
psroff, and I'm looking for a source of HPLJ fonts....

The easiest from my point of view is to take some of the Public Domain
fonts that come with TeX (I have megatons of PK format files), and
convert them, either at run-time, or at distribution time, into HP
download sequences.

Does anyone have a program to convert PK files to HP Laserjet downloadable
fonts?  Preferably PD so I could distribute it with psroff.  Failing that,
does anybody have a description of the PK file format so I can roll my
own converter?  We have gillions of bytes of TeX distribution without any
PK format description I can find (or read).

Thanks,
--
Chris Lewis, Elegant Communications Inc, {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!lsuc!eci386!clewis

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (D.A. Hosek) (12/15/89)

In article <1989Dec13.210844.695@eci386.uucp> clewis@eci386 (Chris Lewis) writes:
>      Failing that,
>does anybody have a description of the PK file format so I can roll my
>own converter?  We have gillions of bytes of TeX distribution without any
>PK format description I can find (or read).

The PK format is included in the WEB source code for each of the utilities
that deals with the PK format (GFtoPK, PKtoGF, PKtoPX, PXtoPK, PKtype).
You can print out the web sources as it is, although that would be a little
messy as it has TeX commands and some assorted WEB garbage as well.

The basic principle of WEB is that one uses one of two programs to produce
either a Pascal program to be compiled (actually, it is now possible to
automatically generate C code instead, which is how most Unix installations
currently work) and the other to produce a TeX file which is the listing.

To generate the listing, one types
weave <fn>
where <fn> is the filename of the WEB file, e.g.,
weave gftopk
then, one can TeX the resulting file and print the output appropriately.

-dh
--
"Odi et amo, quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
   nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior"          -Catullus