[comp.text] AmS-TeX

dfk@grad13.cs.duke.edu (David F. Kotz) (10/25/89)

I just obtained the latest TeX distribution and have TeX, LaTeX,
SliTeX, and Metafont up and running. I know nothing about AMS TeX,
other than vaguely what it is for. It seems to be included with the
distribution. How do I install it, and how is it used? What is it good
for, so I can encourage local users to try it out?

Does it involve making an amstex.fmt, and a link from virtex to
amstex?

Is there a README I haven't noticed that answers all my questions?

David Kotz
Department of Computer Science, Duke University, Durham, NC 27706 USA
ARPA:	dfk@cs.duke.edu
CSNET:	dfk@duke
UUCP:	decvax!duke!dfk

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) (12/15/89)

What is the lastest version of the AmS-TeX macros? If
there is something later than 1.1d (August 1988), where
can I get it? 1.1d is the version NeXT distributes.
--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!km     UUCP

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (D.A. Hosek) (12/15/89)

In article <4763@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>What is the lastest version of the AmS-TeX macros? If
>there is something later than 1.1d (August 1988), where
>can I get it? 1.1d is the version NeXT distributes.

1.1d is currently the latest version of the macros. The AMS is also
promising some new stuff soon (I believe the last announced release
date was January 1990, but judging on previous timetables, we might
not see any of this until summer, if then). This includes an AmS-TeX
style for LaTeX and new versions of the AMS fonts.

Michael Spivak, author of AmS-TeX, also has a new, non-AMS, product
which will be released soon called LAmS-TeX, which is sort of a cross
between AmS-TeX and LaTeX.

-dh
--
"Odi et amo, quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
   nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior"          -Catullus

c3ar@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Walter C3arlip) (12/15/89)

In <3604@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@jarthur.UUCP (D.A. Hosek) writes>
>In <4763@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>>What is the lastest version of the AmS-TeX macros?  . . .
>1.1d is currently the latest version of the macros. . . .
>Michael Spivak, author of AmS-TeX, also has a new, non-AMS, product
>which will be released soon called LAmS-TeX, which is sort of a cross
>between AmS-TeX and LaTeX.

The December AMS Notices has a full page add for Spivak's LamsTeX.  The ad
has some pretty spiffy 3d commutative diagrams (well, actually I haven't
checked whether they commute) and an example of a rather complicated table.
The add also says that LamsTeX will come with the latest amstex: Version
2.0.

I have heard that Spivak only agreed to work on LamsTeX because Duane Bibby
agreed to illustrate the new manual, and include a picture of the TeX lion
lying down with the Lam.  I also heard that LamsTeX comes with some nice
specially designed fonts to handle things like slanted arrows.

Now to quote the ad:
"All the functionality of LaTeX with much greater flexibility and all the
features of AMS-TeX plus complicated commutative diagrams, complicated
tables and much much more!
--Latest amstex.tex (Version 2.0)
--Lams macro packages
--300 page Manual . . .
--Fonts for commutative diagrams . . . MetaFont sources . . . Mac versions
  with fonts for TeXtures
--dvipaste program for including tables in files
--index program
Single user price $95."

The address given for orders is The TeXplorators Corporation, 3701 W.
Alabama, Suite 450-273, Houston, Texas 77027.

So has anyone out there actually seen this product?  Tried it?
Any new news on the new AMS products?

--Walter
Walter C3arlip 				c3ar@zaphod.uchicago.edu
(the "3" is silent)			c3ar%zaphod@UCHIMVS1.bitnet

edgar@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (12/15/89)

>Michael Spivak, author of AmS-TeX, also has a new, non-AMS, product
>which will be released soon called LAmS-TeX, which is sort of a cross
>between AmS-TeX and LaTeX.

It has been released.  My copy arrived yesterday.  See the December issue
of the Notices of the AMS for the ad.

--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY