[comp.text] Metafont source for tex fonts and or 400dpi pk files

c3ar@daisy.uchicago.edu (Walter C3arlip) (12/20/89)

I am looking for either 400 dot per inch pk files (for use with a next
printer) or metafont source for some TeX fonts.  In particular, the
AMS Euler fonts (eufm*) and the ams blackboard bold fonts.

Can these be ftp'd from somewhere?

Thanks,

Walter
Walter C3arlip 				c3ar@zaphod.uchicago.edu
(the "3" is silent)			c3ar%zaphod@UCHIMVS1.bitnet

weening@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Joe Weening) (12/21/89)

In article <6816@tank.uchicago.edu> c3ar@daisy.uchicago.edu (Walter C3arlip) writes:

> I am looking for either 400 dot per inch pk files (for use with a next
> printer) or metafont source for some TeX fonts.  In particular, the
> AMS Euler fonts (eufm*) and the ams blackboard bold fonts.

You may be able to get the PK files you want; I'm not sure.  As for
the sources, the short answer is not at this time, but maybe soon.
The long answer is as follows:

- Blackboard bold: if you mean the fonts "bbb10" and "bbb7", these
  were abandoned long ago; better versions of their characters are in
  one of the AMS symbol fonts "msxm" and "msym" (I forget which).
  However, read the next paragraph.

- AMS symbol fonts (msxm and msym families): these were done in old
  Metafont, which only runs on PDP-10's.  It is still possible to run
  off versions of these, if you are desperate.  But the AMS will soon
  issue new MF replacements for these fonts, and wants to discourage
  use of the old ones.  I believe it will be possible to get the
  sources for the new fonts for free, but with some restrictions.

- Euler fonts: these were also done in old Metafont, and have up to
  now been closely held by the AMS, though they have made lowres
  bitmaps (300dpi) freely available.  I think they may soon make the
  sources available under the same terms as the new symbol fonts (my
  information on this is incomplete), but I don't know if they will be
  of any use unless you can run old Metafont.

All of this should become clearer within a month, I hope.
--
Joe Weening                                Computer Science Dept.
weening@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU          Stanford University