[comp.text] Question: TeX for MSDOS?

root@netdev.UUCP (Alex Huppenthal) (12/17/89)

I'm currently evaluating text preparation software, to reccommend
for use throughout our company. We use Unix, VMS, DOS and Mac
equipment.

TeX is running close to the top of our wish list for functionality,
is it available for the DOS systems, VMS or MAC?

-AleX

--
Alex            INTERNET:  alex@comsys.COM
Huppenthal          UUCP:  {cs.utexas.edu!texbell}!netdev!alex

ms361@leah.Albany.Edu (Mark Steinberger) (12/17/89)

In article <209@netdev.UUCP>, root@netdev.UUCP (Alex Huppenthal) writes:

> TeX is running close to the top of our wish list for functionality,
> is it available for the DOS systems, VMS or MAC?

Tex is available for all of the above. The VMS version is freeware,
from C code available via anonymous ftp. Presumably you could port
the code to your favorite PC, but you'd need a tremendous amount of
RAM to compile it (especially for the printer drivers). Already-compiled
versions are available commercially for MS-DOS, MAC's, amigas, and
presumably other PC's as well.

--Mark

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) (12/18/89)

In article <209@netdev.UUCP>, root@netdev.UUCP (Alex Huppenthal) writes:
> TeX is running close to the top of our wish list for functionality,
> is it available for the DOS systems, VMS or MAC?

How about all three, plus VM/CMS and Atari STs to boot. About anything that
has a pascal or c compiler can run some variant of TeX.

						Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan  (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron@woan.austin.ibm.com +
+ outside of IBM       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ last resort                                        woan@peyote.cactus.org +

wjin@cs.purdue.EDU (Woochang Jin) (12/21/89)

In article <209@netdev.UUCP>, root@netdev.UUCP (Alex Huppenthal) writes:
> I'm currently evaluating text preparation software, to reccommend
> for use throughout our company. We use Unix, VMS, DOS and Mac
> equipment.
>
> TeX is running close to the top of our wish list for functionality,
> is it available for the DOS systems, VMS or MAC?

There are several freeware TeX's on MS-DOS.
DosTeX is known to be the best until now.
The package contains TeX, LaTeX, AMS-TeX, MetaFont, Epson Printer Driver,
    Hercules Previewer.
There are also various other freewares for TeX, like Laser Jet Driver, Fonts,
BiBTeX, TeXIndex, Macros, Styles,  etc.
    To get the above conveniently, you need to contact

      Electronetics, Inc
      c/o Gary Beidl         <------- The implementor of DosTeX
      119 Jackrabbit Run
      Round Rock, TX 78664