[comp.text] Can the Pacific Page HPLJII PS cartridge print TeX dvi2ps?

regan@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Kenneth Regan) (12/20/89)

The "Pacific Page" is a fairly new ROM cartridge for the HP LJII which
interprets PostScript files at about the speed of the Apple LaserWriter Plus
(slower than the NT or NTX).  It lists for $695 ($200 off is typical),
comes with the standard 35 LW+ typefaces, and can accept up to 4 soft fonts
/in Bitstream's format/.  Therein lies the possible rub(s):

	(1) I don't know how far the terms "Bitstream format", "Type III",
and "(vanilla) Redbook PS fonts" are from being synonymous, and where the
TeX fonts fit into the picture.

	(2) Do TeX dvi2ps implementations all rotate downloads as needed,
or do they skirt the issue altogether by including the character information
directly in the files?

	I'm actually most immediately interested in whether the PS fonts
that come with my scientific text processor of choice (called T3--it's
WYSIWYG and can now generate TeX files), which were created via METAFONT
and the RedBook's guidelines, will work with the PacPage; the program's
New Mexico creators haven't been able to test this yet.

Kenneth W. Regan           			Assistant Professor
Computer Science Dept.				(Opinions not < SUNYaB)
SUNY at Buffalo, 226 Bell Hall			Tel.: (716) 636-3189, -3180
Buffalo,  NY  14260				regan@cs.buffalo.edu

rfg@ics.uci.edu (Ron Guilmette) (12/21/89)

In article <15071@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> regan@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Kenneth Regan) writes:
>The "Pacific Page" is a fairly new ROM cartridge for the HP LJII which
>interprets PostScript files at about the speed of the Apple LaserWriter Plus
>(slower than the NT or NTX).  It lists for $695 ($200 off is typical),
>comes with the standard 35 LW+ typefaces, and can accept up to 4 soft fonts
>/in Bitstream's format/.  Therein lies the possible rub(s):

I was asking about the combination of TeX+dvi2ps+PacificPage+HP/LJ2p here
awhile ago also.

I was informed by several people that I *could* spend that extra $695,
but that it is probably unnecessary.  Rather, several people suggested
that I should just get the dvi2lj that is available somewhere/somehow
(probably via anonymous FTP from science.utah.edu).

Since TeX comes with its own fonts, why buy more in a cartridge?

I was also informed that the 1 or 2 megabyte memory upgrade that the
Pacific Page flyer recommends is also (most probably) unnecessary.
Some people told me that the standard 1/2 MB in the HP/LJ2p will
generally be sufficient for most work where you only use a couple of
fonts per page.

Note however that while I have taken the advice of *not* buying the
PacificPage or the extra memory, I also have yet to purchase the HP/LJ2p!
I just haven't gotten 'round to it yet.  Thus, I cannot say with complete
certainty that TeX+dvi2lj+HP/LJ2p works.  I have also not yet had the
time to port TeX and dvi2lj to my current system (a recently introduced
RISC workstation).

I have taken note however of the fact that there have been occasional
reports here of various glitches when using dvi2lj.  I believe that
some of these have been attributed to minor differences between the various
models of the HP LaserJets.  (Note: the IIp is the newest and most inexpensive
one, and I don't believe that I've seen anybody say here whether or not
they have gotten TeX+dvi2lj+HP/LJ2p working reliably.)

Can anyone reading this posting comment on (a) the availability of
(various versions of?) dvi2lj, and (b) the reliability of that particular
driver and its current state (i.e. are there patches available that might
be needed or useful), and (c) the operation (successful or otherwise) of
the combination of TeX+dvi2lj+HP/LJ2p.

I, for one, am particularly interested in the IIp specifically.

// rfg

steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Steve Dempsey) (12/23/89)

In answer to the question posed in the subject line, yes PacificPage
prints TeX/dvi files using dvi2ps.  I did not test it extensively so
the 4 font limit may still be suspect.  But dvi2lj produces equally
good output, is faster, and works with the standard 512K memory.

In article <258FF596.1429@paris.ics.uci.edu>, rfg@ics.uci.edu (Ron
Guilmette) writes:
> In article <15071@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> regan@cs.Buffalo.EDU
(Kenneth Regan) writes:
> >The "Pacific Page" is a fairly new ROM cartridge for the HP LJII which
> >interprets PostScript files at about the speed of the Apple LaserWriter Plus
> >(slower than the NT or NTX).  It lists for $695 ($200 off is typical),
> >comes with the standard 35 LW+ typefaces, and can accept up to 4 soft fonts
> >/in Bitstream's format/.  Therein lies the possible rub(s):
>
> I was asking about the combination of TeX+dvi2ps+PacificPage+HP/LJ2p here
> awhile ago also.

 [stuff deleted]

> Can anyone reading this posting comment on (a) the availability of
> (various versions of?) dvi2lj, and (b) the reliability of that particular
> driver and its current state (i.e. are there patches available that might
> be needed or useful), and (c) the operation (successful or otherwise) of
> the combination of TeX+dvi2lj+HP/LJ2p.
>
> I, for one, am particularly interested in the IIp specifically.

I have used the following hardware:

    LaserJet+
    DeskJet+     w/256K memory upgrade
    LaserJetII   w/ & w/o 2M memory upgrade
    LaserJetIIp  w/ & w/o 2M memory upgrade
    LaserJetII   w/PacificPage

All of these have been connected to large hosts (VAX780) or workstations
(VS2000).  TeX+dvi2lj/dvidsk (Beebe & HP) works fine with all of them,
even w/o memory upgrades (except DJ+).  Even 8-10 fonts/page usually works
OK because only the needed characters are downloaded rather than the entire
font.  More memory gives you more room for fonts and full-page raster
graphics.  We have not fully explored the multiple source capabilities
of any of the dvi2lj filters (\special) and use only TeX, LaTeX, and
[di]troff/pic/tbl/eqn.  Some desperate users feed pages two or three
times to overlay images, but most of the folks wanting fancy diagrams
and WYSIWYG use Mac's.

We don't yet have a very high demand for PS so I don't have much to
compare with.  PacificPage is OK for the occasional PS document and the
output looks just like it came from a LaserWriter(no +).  Seems to be
about 80% as fast as the LW.  I have yet to find a way to make it toggle
between PS and PCL mode from an lpd output filter [anyone been successful
with this?].  The thing takes 30-40 seconds to reset after each mode switch.
This makes for utter chaos in the spooled environment.  It would probably
be OK on a single-user machine.  BTW, the latest issue of _Byte_ has a
fair review of PacificPage.

The LJIIp seems to be 100% compatible with the LJII at 1/2 the speed.
Transfer rates are identical; just the paper feed mechanism runs slower.
Until we know how well it stands up to heavy [ab]use (avg. 400 pages/day),
we'll continue to use LJII's in the labs.  For the guys who want their
own printer on a workstation and don't need PS, the IIp is a bargain.

My recommendation would be a IIp for light duty printing of plain text
and TeX/dvi output.  But if you're going to do lots of PostScript, probably
better to go for a real PS printer instead of LJII+memory+PacificPage.

        Steve Dempsey,  Center for Computer Assisted Engineering
  Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO  80523    +1 303 491 0630
INET: steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu, dempsey@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu
UUCP: boulder!ccncsu!longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu!steved, ...!ncar!handel!dempsey