[comp.text] TeXhax Digest V89 #113

TeXhax@cs.washington.edu (TeXhax Digest) (12/27/89)

TeXhax Digest    Tuesday,  December 26, 1989  Volume 89 : Issue 113

Moderators: Tiina Modisett and Pierre MacKay

%%% The TeXhax digest is brought to you as a service of the TeX Users Group %%%
%%%       in cooperation with the UnixTeX distribution service at the       %%%
%%%                      University of Washington                           %%%

Today's Topics:

           wanted: mode_def for DEC LPS40 write-white print engine
                     Hardware and software advice needed
                  Re: CM fonts --- should they be extended ?
                    Problem with \magstephalf and Metafont
                    Form letters in LaTeX; request for help
                             PC-EXPRES for LaTeX
        Re: TeXhax Digest V89 #106 (LaTeX 's Bibliographic \cite{key})
                     Definitions needed for TeX/LaTeX Index
                         Possible \uppercase\ss solution
                                  Re: ifx problem
                Re: TeXhax Digest V89 #106: TeX to Ventura
                                   Printer killer
                A set of tools for managing BibTeX bib files

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 89 14:12:01 EST
From: nr%cs@Princeton.EDU (Norman Ramsey)
Subject: wanted: mode_def for DEC LPS40 write-white print engine

Does anyone have one, or know where one can be found. Any hints or
pointers will be appreciated.  We are willing to try to adapt a
generic write-white mode_def if nobody has one for the LPS40.

Norman Ramsey
nr@princeton.edu

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 89 12:19:49 -0500
From: trda5!anqi@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Hardware and software advice needed

Gentlemen,

I am in the process of getting a copy of the TeX package from
the University of Washington. An application form for joining
TUG is in the mail to me, too.  However, I am in need of
immediate help in deciding on what software and hardware to
get in order to intall and run TeX on our AT&T 3B2/300 running
UNIX System V 3.1.

Pointers, please.

Anchi Zhang
UUCP: uunet!trda5!anqi
Internet: anqi@trda5.uucp.uu.net

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 89 09:35:27 EST
From: jsg@arbortext.com
Subject: Re: CM fonts --- should they be extended ?

While other people toil away on the contents of the successors to
the Computer Modern fonts, I'll lean back in my chair and glibly
suggest a name.  We once had AM ("Almost Modern") and then we skipped
B and moved to CM ("Computer Modern").  There's no question that
the next set of fonts has to skip D and be named EM ("Extended Modern").

John Gourlay
jsg@arbortext.com

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 89 12:15 MET
From: "Johannes L. Braams" <JL_Braams%pttrnl.nl@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Problem with \magstephalf and Metafont

    Hi all,

        We have noticed a problem with the scaling of fonts, using
        MF version 1.7. When we create cmsy10 at \magstephalf
        things like \oplus, \ominus etc. come out like ovals instead
        of circles. With \magstep1 everything looks circular again.
        I don't know how this could have happened, but it doesn't
        appear to have happened with the amr fonts... So now I have
        a user who wants the amr fonts back. I'm not very happy about
        that...

        Any help will be appreciated, please send replies to me directly
        and i'll summarize to the list.

    Regards

        Johannes Braams

PTT Research Neher Laboratorium,        P.O. box 421,
2260 AK Leidschendam,                   The Netherlands.
Phone    : +31 70 435051                E-mail : JL_Braams@pttrnl.nl

E-mail was :
    EARN/BITnet : BRAAMS@HLSDNL5   UUCP        : hp4nl!dnlunx!johannes
    SURFnet     : DNLTS::BRAAMS    INTERnet    : BRAAMS%HLSDNL5@CUNYVM.cuny.edu
 PSS (DATAnet1) : +204 1170358::BRAAMS

Date: Sun, 3 Dec 89 14:36:34 EST
From: rpg@cs.brown.edu
Subject: Form letters in LaTeX; request for help

I'm interested in finding a LaTeX environment for form letters,
allowing merges.  Does anybody out there have one?

Please reply to me directly.

Thanks,

Robert

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 89 10:34:33 MST
From: rogers@ARSUN.UTAH.EDU
Subject: PC-EXPRES for LaTeX

I have just put together an alternative to the LaTeX stuff in the latest
PC-EXPRES* distribution.  My version uses the report document style (rather
than article), modified by a file called nsf.sty.  This version makes its
own table of contents and bibliography, and is driven by a "makefile".  It is
available via anonymous ftp from arsun.utah.edu (128.110.192.93).  The
relevant file is "pub/nsflatex.tar.Z", in compressed tar format.  Unpack
with "zcat nsflatex.tar.Z | tar xf -" or "pdtar zxf nsflatex.tar.Z".

* PC-EXPRES is a system for preparing NSF proposals that can be submitted
via INTERNET.  It generates the NSF forms as postscript files, and collates
them with output from word processors.

Alan Rogers
 INTERNET: rogers@arsun.utah.edu (or an.rogers@science.utah.edu)
 USMAIL  : Dept. of Anthropology, Univ. of Utah, S.L.C., UT 84112
 PHONE   : (801) 581-5529

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 89 09:05:02 PST
From: lamport@src.dec.com (Leslie Lamport)
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V89 #106 (LaTeX 's Bibliographic \cite{key})

JOHN H. YATES writes

   I would like to modify the results of LaTeX 's Bibliographic \cite{key}
   (UNSRT) to produce the reference number as a superscript, without the
   [] surrounding it.

He continues:

   I am still hoping someone can show me a trivial solution to getting rid
   of the brackets around this superscript.

Searching for \cite in latex.tex reveals

   %   \@cite     : A macro such that \@cite{LABEL1,LABEL2}{NOTE}
   %                produces the output for a \cite[NOTE]{FOO1,FOO2} command,
   %                where entry FOOi is defined by \bibitem[LABELi]{FOOi}.
   %                The switch @tempswa is true if the optional NOTE argument
   %                is present.
   %                The default definition is :
   %                  \@cite{LABELS}{NOTE} ==
   %                     BEGIN [LABELS
   %                           IF @tempswa = T THEN , NOTE FI
   %                           ]
   %                     END
   %

   %DEFAULT DEFINITIONS

   \def\@cite#1#2{[{#1\if@tempswa , #2\fi}]}

I trust that this, together with section 5.1.4 of the manual should answer
the question.

Leslie Lamport

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 89 14:11:40 EST
From: ches@research.att.com
Subject: Definitions needed for TeX/LaTeX Index

Greetings, folks.

After wrestling an Internet gateway for a couple months I am ready to
finish up the next revision of the Permuted Index of TeX and LaTeX
commands.  (To those who have been waiting, I apologize.  We still
have you on the list.)

I could use some help on a few definitions from you gurus out there.  These are
commands I don't understand very well, or have unsatisfactory definitions.
I would appreciate suggestions for definitions.

Remember the ground rules: a definition must
	1) fit on a single line
	2) contain keywords a non-expert might choose
	3) be reasonably accurate within the bounds of the first two rules.

As at the TUG meeting, I am willing to reward a Cocolat truffle to helpful
contributors, but I don't get out to Berkeley very often, so the award may be
delayed indefinitely.

If you missed the pre-shaken Stanford TUG meeting, the Index is
described in the Procedings.  Copies of the Index will be available
(free!) from

	neera@research.att.com
as Computer Science Technical Report #145, and later in the TeXniques series.

		TeX primatives:

% lousy definition:
|\delimitershortfall|	maximum amount by which a delimiter can be too small
% TeX 3.0 command:
|\errorcontext|
% is this exactly right?
|\let|	assign a new name to a control sequence
% I don't like this.  How about: ``define operator to end math mode?''
|\mathclose|	construct a math closing operator
% is this right?
|\xspaceskip|	space between sentences

		Plain TeX

% what are these?

|\amalg|	math operator: amalgam ($\amalg$)
|\deg|	math function: deg

% these are mostly internal plain TeX commands.  Should they be included?

|\do|	macro to be applied to characters by |\dospecials|
|\mathhexbox|	internal \plaintex{} command
|\mathpalette|	define a choice of math styles based on |\mathchoice|
|\mscount|	internal \plaintex{} counter
|\next|	a scratch control sequence
|\oalign|	internal \plaintex{} command
|\itfam|	italic font family
|\slfam|	slanted font family
|\ttfam|	typewriter font family
|\bffam|	bold font family
|\of|
|\ointop|
|\oalign|	put characters over each other
|\ooalign|	put characters over each other
|\pagebody|	construct a vbox containing the current page
|\plainoutput|	\plaintex{} output routine
|\preloaded|	preload a font
|\rootbox|	***

I hope to have this all printed and ready for distribution by the first
of the year.

Thanks for your help,

Bill Cheswick
ches@research.att.com

Date: Sat, 2 Dec 89 21:01 PST
From: <ASND%TRIUMFRG.BITNET@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Possible \uppercase\ss solution

Hubert Partl looks for a solution to the uppercase \ss problem.  His
original request was addressed in TeXhax #50 this year by Dan Bernstein
(bernsten@phoenix.princeton.edu) who gave this answer:
``
  \def\gimmeans{\ss}
  \def\gimmeanS{SS}
  \def\S#1{\csname gimmean#1\endcsname}

  Now \S{s} will give \ss normally and SS within \uppercase. LaTeX users
  might have to worry about command name conflicts and about appropriate
  \protects.''

I don't think this has to be protected; \S is already used by LaTeX
but \s is available.  Using \s, strasse can be typed stra\s{s}e or
stra\s se.  The last just has one space moved from stra\ss e.

The same solution may be applied using a non-letter like `0':

\def\0{\protect\foreignlig}
\def\foreignlig#1#2{\csname #1#2\endcsname}
\def\SS{SS}

Then strasse should be typed \stra\0sse.

If it is impossible to change how \ss is typed, then parts of some
LaTeX styles MUST be rewritten.  I suggest this bit that should go
in a style file:

\def\LIGprotect{}
\def\LIGupcase#1{{\let\LIGprotect=\noexpand
      \edef\LIGupmac{#1}\expandafter\uppercase\expandafter{\LIGupmac}}}
\let\ligss\ss
\def\LIGSS{SS}
\let\ligoe\oe
\let\LIGOE\OE
etc.

Then references to \uppercase in style files should be changed to \LIGupcase.
(The only reference to \uppercase in LaTeX.tex applies to roman numerals and
should not be changed.) The only change in article.sty would be to the mark
macros, so you can leave article.sty alone and redefine the mark macros
the same style file as \LIGupcase is defined.  I haven't tested moving
arguments, so some extra \protect s might be needed.

                         Donald Arseneau
                         asnd@triumfcl (.bitnet)
                         arseneau@mtsg.ubc.ca

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 89 12:20:32 GMT
From: Martin Ward <martin%EASBY.DURHAM.AC.UK@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Re: ifx problem

Victor Eijkhout is trying to test strings using:

\def\testsame#1$\expandafter\ifx\csname#1\endcsname\match
                 \message$the same\else\message$not the same\fi

\ifx compares the "top-level expansions" of the two control sequences, it
has the side effect of \let-ing the control sequence to \relax if it
was not defined initially. So if the string is NOT the same as "match",
TeX compares the expansions of the macros \your-string and \match.
If \your-string is not defined then it is treated as the same as \relax, and
if \match is the same as \relax (eg by a previous implicit \let) then the
test will succeed. His closing comment:
"(note that the problem disappears if you define \match)"
is therefore not true?: if you say \let\match=\relax then \testsame$X
will return "the same" for ANY string X (provided \X is an undefined control
sequence).

			Martin.

My ARPANET address is:  martin%EASBY.DUR.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
OR: martin%uk.ac.dur.easby@nfsnet-relay.ac.uk  UUCP:...!mcvax!ukc!easby!martin
JANET: martin@uk.ac.dur.easby    BITNET: martin%dur.easby@ac.uk

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 89 16:59:20 GMT
From: Sebastian P Q Rahtz <spqr%ecs.southampton.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK>
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V89 #106: TeX to Ventura

 > Also, is there any program out there that will take a TeX file and convert
 > it into a Ventura file (ie converting the standard macros to Ventura
 > commands)??

I have done this _ad hoc_ with a simple LaTeX file, but did not bother
to formalize it. I just wrote an editor script to change  things like
  \section{Introduction}
  (blank)
  @section = Introduction
  (blank)
and to change --- to <197>. Then I deleted all multiple spaces and
multiple blank lines.

but any question like this eventually gets bogged down into the fact
that a) there are no standard TeX macros, and b) to parse TeX
_properly_ you have to effectively *be* TeX. My advice is to restrict
authoring to a very distinct subset of LaTeX which is easily
translated. There are too many things which don't have a 1:1
correspondence.

Sebastian Rahtz
Southampton University

Date: Mon, 04 Dec 89 17:08:07 EST
From: "S. Holmes [Consulting Detective]" <sjh@helicon.math.purdue.edu>
Subject: Printer killer

This may be more of a PostScript problem, but it is from a tex file so
I thought I'd try this group.

We have an 11 page document which just today started causing strange
behavior on our LW.

It prints the last 2 pages (pages are printed in reverse order) and
then at the bottom of the second to last page it prints a ragged
medium gray line all the way across the page.  It then gets the
following error from the printer:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<... several identical lines deleted>
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!}%%[ Error: ioerror; OffendingCommand: --nos%%[ Error: unde
fined; OffendingCommand: f ]%%
%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

Then the printer prints the startup page (the one you get when you
power the printer on) and *then* the normal lpr header page for this job!

The odd thing is that this is the only job that is getting this
problem.  It therefore doesn't seem to be a hardware (ie.
communication) problem.

Please, if you have any idea what this might be let me know.  Send me
mail if you are interested in seeing the output of dvi2ps, or the
original tex file.

thanks a million.

Steve.
Steve Holmes				purdue!sjh
Systems Administrator			sjh@math.purdue.edu
Dept. of Mathematics			(317) 494-6055
Purdue University
W. Lafayette, Indiana 47907

Date: Mon, 04 Dec 89 23:07:07 EST
From: Kannan Varadhan <kannan@osc.edu>
Subject: A set of tools for managing BibTeX bib files

Hi,

I have written out what I think are fairly decent and comprehensive set
of tools for manipulating BibTeX style bibliographies.  These are being
distributed via 'comp.sources.misc'.

Briefly, the tools that I have are...

	bibc -  This is a tool for creating and appending bibliography
		records to a file.  This program works by prompting the
		user for the required fields, and then writes
		out/appends the record in the correct format.

	bibv -  This tool takes one or more bib files, and produces a
		sample file, called bibtex.tex, and a dvi version of
		the same, that contain an entry corresponding to every
		record in the files.  This uses bibtex to flag
		duplicate entries, hence, the name BIB-Verifier.

	shbib - This is used to show complete entries matching
		a given regular expression.  The syntax is somewhat
		similar to egrep.

	rmbib - This removes entries matching the given regular
		expression from the specified files.  It is useful, in
		that, the delete records are written to stdout, so one
		can shuffle records around various bib-files.

You will also find, a library of tools that I designed, for breaking up
entries in set of specified bibliography files, and having each entry
processed by a routine of the user's choice.  Notes on these can be found
in README.lib_bib.

Additionally, there is a new specl.bst style file, which has the
characteristic that the bibitem keys are the same as the \cite-keys that
are used in the bib files.  I think this is a convenient style for
keeping hard copies of the bib files around, for ready reference.

The manpages have more detailed information.

Installation requires one to have Henry Spencer's regular expression
package, and Flex.

KANNAN

 -=-
Kannan Varadhan, Ohio Supercomputer Center, Columbus, OH 43212  [(614) 292-4137]
email:	kannan@osc.edu	|  osu-cis!oscsunb!kannan

%%%
%%%  BITNET: send a one-line mail message to LISTSERV@xxx
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU         TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest