[comp.text] Feynman diagrams in LaTeX

pmunck@nbivax.nbi.dk (Peter Munck) (12/22/89)

I have produced a lot of Feynman diagrams using the LaTeX figure environment,
but there a certain types of diagrams that I cannot figure out how to produce.
The difficult diagrams are those radiative correction diagrams where a photon
or a gluon are emitted and absorbed at the same fermion line. Has anyone out
there produced such diagrams ?
For those not familiar with Feynman diagrams I can describe what sort of
picture I'd like :
I'd like to produce a spiral curved in a half arc, or similarly a (sine)wave
curved in a half arc. The spirals and waves are easy to produce along a straight
line, but if you want to curve them it's really something else.
I'd be pleased with any respond.

        Peter Munck
        University of Copenhagen
        The Niels Bohr Institute
        Blegdamsvej 17
        DK-2100 Copenhagen O

        PMUNCK@NBIVAX.NBI.DK

beck@thekk.cs.cornell.edu (Micah Beck) (12/22/89)

In article <300@nbivax.nbi.dk> pmunck@nbivax.nbi.dk (Peter Munck) writes:
>I have produced a lot of Feynman diagrams using the LaTeX figure environment,
>but there a certain types of diagrams that I cannot figure out how to produce.
>I'd like to produce a spiral curved in a half arc, or similarly a (sine)wave
>curved in a half arc. The spirals and waves are easy to produce along a straight
>line, but if you want to curve them it's really something else.

Sounds like a good solution would allow you to:

	1) Write a program which generate the curves in your Feynman
		diagrams in some farily general intermediate form.

	2) Allow you to edit this intermediate form, perhaps adding text
		or other annotations.

	3) Translate this intermediate form into LaTeX picture environment,
		PostScript, or some other LaTeX-compatible format.

I suggest you try using Fig code.  It can be generated from a program,
can be edited using the Fig graphics editor, and can be translated into
LaTeX picture environment, PostScript, (E)EPIC, PicTeX, and PIC
using the TransFig backend translation package.

The syntax and meaning of Fig code is specified fairly precisely in
the TransFig manual, which is included in the distribution.  Fig code syntax
is unfortunately very ugly, consisting almost entirely of numbers.
However, at least one graphics program, namely the GnuTeX numerical plotting
package, successfully produces editable Fig code.

TransFig is avialable via anonymous FTP from svax.cs.cornell.edu
in ~ftp/pub/fig/transfig.tar.Z, or by mail from the archive server
at sun.soe.clarkson.edu.

Micah Beck		beck@cs.cornell.edu
Cornell CS Dept.

xanthian@saturn.ADS.COM (Metafont Consultant Account) (12/30/89)

In article <300@nbivax.nbi.dk> pmunck@nbivax.nbi.dk (Peter Munck) writes:
>I have produced a lot of Feynman diagrams using the LaTeX figure environment,
>but there a certain types of diagrams that I cannot figure out how to produce.
>The difficult diagrams are those radiative correction diagrams where a photon
>or a gluon are emitted and absorbed at the same fermion line. Has anyone out
>there produced such diagrams ?
>For those not familiar with Feynman diagrams I can describe what sort of
>picture I'd like :
>I'd like to produce a spiral curved in a half arc, or similarly a (sine)wave
>curved in a half arc. The spirals and waves are easy to produce along a straight
>line, but if you want to curve them it's really something else.
>I'd be pleased with any respond.
>
>        Peter Munck
>        University of Copenhagen
>        The Niels Bohr Institute
>        Blegdamsvej 17
>        DK-2100 Copenhagen O
>
>        PMUNCK@NBIVAX.NBI.DK

Well, if the curved "spirals" (I cannot visualize what that means;
helicies perhaps?) and sine waves are needed in a limited number of
sizes and orientations, one solution would be to create them as
symbols using METAFONT, and to include them at the desired point in
the diagram using the text option of the picture environment as
detailed on page 104 of the paperback LaTeX manual.  Designing a
METAFONT symbol for a sine wave along a half circular arc, at least,
should be a piece of cake, as should be instancing it at orientations
of, say, multiples of 15 degrees to make a font of bent sine wave
"characters".  If the 45 degree instance is character code #3 in your
bent sine font bsf30.300pk of size 30 points for use on a 300dpi
device, then

	\put{2.3,5}{\bentsinefont\char 3}

should put its lower left corner at location (2.5,3), where

	\font\bentsinefont=bsf30 at 30truepts

or some such definition occurs earlier in the document or in an
included header/style file.  It shouldn't be too awful a limitation to
pick an angle for the line it is supposed to join so that both ends
of the bent sine wave match the line nicely.

--
Again, my opinion, not the account furnishers'.

xanthian@well.sf.ca.us
Kent, the (bionic) man from xanth, now available as a build-a-xanthian
kit at better toy stores near you.  Warning - some parts are fragile.

< Your artwork converted to a METAFONT symbol program for TeX and LaTeX use! >
< Send a salad plate sized blowup, a SASE, and a cover letter to me at TCC,  >
< P.O. Box 390755, Mountain View, CA 94039-0755 for a no risk, fixed price   >
< quote.  Company logos a specialty.  (Hey, it's a living, however modest.)  >
\vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv/