[comp.text] Writer's Workbench

stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) (01/15/89)

In article <2417@spdcc.SPDCC.COM>, lj@spdcc.COM (Len Jacobs) writes:
> Supposedly this system has the power of AT&T's Writers Workbench, but
> is much more compact.  (Anyone hear anything lately about WWB?)

I called AT&T licensing just last week, and they still won't release
the source code for WWB.  Apparently it's a dead product, so all
we have is the style and diction package that comes with 4.3 BSD
(which must be 8 years old by now).

Does AT&T support WWB in binary on any AT&T systems (such as the
3b2) ?

Does anyone know what ever happened to all the WWB work that
was going on at either U. Colorado or Colorado State ?

	Richard Stevens
	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
	   stevens@hsi.com
           ... { uunet | yale } ! hsi ! stevens

daw@houxs.ATT.COM (David Wolverton) (01/17/89)

In article <250@hsi86.hsi.UUCP>, stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) writes:

> I called AT&T licensing just last week, and they still won't release
> the source code for WWB.  Apparently it's a dead product, so all
> we have is the style and diction package that comes with 4.3 BSD
> (which must be 8 years old by now).
>
> Does AT&T support WWB in binary on any AT&T systems (such as the
> 3b2) ?
>
> 	Richard Stevens
> 	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
> 	   stevens@hsi.com
>            ... { uunet | yale } ! hsi ! stevens

The problem may be that you specified "WWB".  There is a newer diction, etc.
package out (can't remember the name though) that received some good press
when used in some high school or college remedial English classes.
Probably it has a new/different name, which is why the person you contacted
didn't make the connection.  All I know about it is what I remember from
reading about it in an internal newsletter over a year ago [i.e. precious
little].

If someone else doesn't follow up with more specifics, send me a reminder
and I'll chase down the specifics for you.

Dave Wolverton
...!att!houxs!daw or daw@houxs.ATT.COM

reid@cpswh.cps.msu.edu (Dr Richard J. Reid) (01/04/90)

Anyone with experience in using this AT&T product?

The only reference I've found is 1983 BSTJ article, but since
then their brochure says it's grown from 5 programs to 25.
We'll probably order the user's guide to see how that looks.

The only Unix tool we have beyond spell is "diction".

Are there any other Unix tools you know of for

  proofreading, sytle, etc.?

Thanks--I'll summarize for the net.

Dick