[comp.text] Paragraph in \itemize

sane@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (Aamod Sane) (01/05/90)

I have a lot of text under \item in a \itemize environment in my latex file,
I tried to get paragraphs by putting 2 newlines as usual, but latex did not
generate paragraphs in the item. It simply left the line alone without indenting
as for usual paragraph.
	Is there any way to get a normal paragraph in an item?

Thanks,

Aamod Sane
sane@cs.uiuc.edu

grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (01/05/90)

\parindent, the amount of space preceeding a paragraph indentation,
is reset in a list environment. The output of the following LaTeX
code shows this:

------------------------------
\documentstyle{article}
\begin{document}
the first line

should be another pargraph.
\the\parindent

  \begin{itemize}
    \item
	The first line.

	should be another paragraph.
	\the\parindent
  \end{itemize}
\end{document}
------------------------------

one possible solution is to reset the parindent within the list. A
better solution would be to build a new list environment that doesn't
reset parindent:

\documentstyle{article}

\newenvironment{myitemize}%
{\begin{list}{$\bullet$}{\listparindent=\parindent}}%
{\end{list}}

\begin{document}

the first line

should be another pargraph.
\the\parindent

  \begin{itemize}
    \item
	The first line.

	should be another paragraph.
	\the\parindent
  \end{itemize}

  \begin{myitemize}
    \item
	The first line.

	should be another paragraph.
	\the\parindent
  \end{myitemize}
\end{document}

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (D.A. Hosek) (01/05/90)

In article <1990Jan4.200857.19580@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu> sane@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (Aamod Sane) writes:
>I have a lot of text under \item in a \itemize environment in my latex file,
>I tried to get paragraphs by putting 2 newlines as usual, but latex did not
>generate paragraphs in the item. It simply left the line alone without indenting
>as for usual paragraph.
>	Is there any way to get a normal paragraph in an item?

This is the standard default for LaTeX. Yes, it is possible to have
indentation for the additional paragraphs, (read the section of the
LaTeX manual about the list environment, esp. the descriptions which
appear in the Reference manual section) and set the necessary values
appropriately. However, unless you have some pressing need to make
the change (e.g., some publication's formatting requirements--in this
case you should probably be using a document style specifically for
that publication), you may want to just leave it alone. The default
specifications of article, report, and book were selected for maximum
readability and should not be changed haphazardly.

-dh
--
"Odi et amo, quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
   nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior"          -Catullus

eykhout@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl (Victor Eijkhout) (01/05/90)

sane@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (Aamod Sane) writes:

>I have a lot of text under \item in a \itemize environment in my latex file,
>I tried to get paragraphs by putting 2 newlines as usual, but latex did not
>generate paragraphs in the item. It simply left the line alone without indenting
>as for usual paragraph.
>	Is there any way to get a normal paragraph in an item?

Yes, there is a way, but it's not pleasant.

The indentation of paragraphs in lists, such as \itemize, is governed
by the \listparindent, which is set to zero by the \list command.
However, you can use the commands \@listi, \@listii, et cetera
to set other defaults. Look in the style file to see the current
definition, and add a setting for \listparindent to it.

\makeatletter
\renewcommand{\@listi}{ .... \listparindent=\parindent}
\makeatother

in the preamble of your document should do the job.

Victor.
: