[comp.text] Problems installing MuTeX

alex@sunstone.UUCP (Alex Feldman) (01/08/90)

I tried to install MuTeX, and when I tried to print the sample files,
I got several screenfuls of error messages from dvips, all complaining
about "illegal character".  The files printed, but the notes (though
not the stems or flags) were missing.

I used the Rokicki, et al, version of dvips, and on my first attempt
I used the fonts that came with MuTeX, the DPI300 set.  On the second
attempt, I used the supplied .mf files to make my own fonts, though I
did use the supplied mode file... it claims to be for a Canon CX, which
I believe is what is in my LaserWriter.  The fonts I created were (no
surprise) the same as those in the distribution.

Since TeX seems to do its thing with no problem, and it is only dvips
that complains, I suspect the fonts.  But I haven't been able to find
the problem.  It does seem like the font file which contains the notes
is awfully small, but I don't know what to do about that... can
anyone help??

	alex@kanaha.idbsu.edu  (post or reply by mail, but do not mail
	                        to the machine I posted from... it
	                        won't make it.)

alex@sunstone.UUCP (Alex Feldman) (01/09/90)

I tried a newer version of dvips, and that did the trick.  Thanks to
any and all who mulled this over.

	--alex

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (01/10/90)

In article <582@sunstone.UUCP> alex@sunstone.UUCP (Alex Feldman) writes:
>I tried to install MuTeX, and when I tried to print the sample files,
>I got several screenfuls of error messages from dvips, all complaining
>about "illegal character".  The files printed, but the notes (though
>not the stems or flags) were missing.
>
>Since TeX seems to do its thing with no problem, and it is only dvips
>that complains, I suspect the fonts.

	Nope, it's dvips.  We have three different kinds of laser printers
in our dept, and only one driver is able to print MuTeX files correctly:
imagen1, for the Imagen printer.  dvips, dvi2ps, and dviln03 all cannot
print the note heads.

                                                        Dan

| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science          Baltimore, MD  21218 |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |