[comp.text] ...thinking of making my business card with TeX/LaTeX

danj1@cbnewse.ATT.COM (Dan Jacobson) (01/16/90)

I'm thinking of making my business card with TeX/LaTeX.  Anybody did
this before?  My company logo is one big letter in a special font... not
too difficult.  I've got my name in PostScript Chinese characters too;
that I guess I will use \special for (?).  Looks like it will be on
regular paper too, unfortunately.
--
Dan Jacobson +1-708-979-6364 danj1@ihlpa.ATT.COM

Things like advertisements, where form is more important than content,
and the result will never be reused, are generally best done in graphic
or page description languages (e.g., PostScript).  Business cards are
of course reusable, so this argument does not apply quite as well.

The most straightforward way to put a logo onto a page using TeX is
to make the logo a character (or several characters) in a METAFONT font.
There are even consultants who will do this for you.

xanthian@saturn.ADS.COM (Metafont Consultant Account) (01/16/90)

In article <21839@mimsy.umd.edu> chris@mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:

>The most straightforward way to put a logo onto a page using TeX is
>to make the logo a character (or several characters) in a METAFONT font.
>There are even consultants who will do this for you.

You don't say! ;-)

--
Again, my opinions, not the account furnishers'.

xanthian@well.sf.ca.us  xanthian@ads.com (Kent Paul Dolan)
Kent, the (bionic) man from xanth, now available as a build-a-xanthian
kit at better toy stores near you.  Warning - some parts proven fragile.
-> METAFONT, TeX, graphics programming done on spec -- (415) 964-4486 <-

rcpt@eutrc4.urc.tue.nl (Piet Tutelaers) (01/17/90)

Here is my approach to make a ``visistekaartje'', as is called bussiness
card into Dutch. On one A4 10 (2 * 5) cards are printed. The cards are
separated by plusses (+) so you can easily cut the cards. I print the
cards on thicker paper. The parameters are in the beginning of the file.

The TeX-file uses a local font, our tue-logo (Technical University
Eindhoven). This logo is made with METAFONT. To see the results you can
change this font with another font or ask me the METAFONT sources of tue,
if you like.

The TeX-file uses a mixture of Dutch and English. I hope this will give no
problems. Dutch and English have the same ancestor!

A lot of fun with designing your bussiness card, Piet

uucp:   rcpt@urc.tue.nl       | Piet Tutelaers        Room  RC 1.82
bitnet: rcpt@heithe5.BITNET   | Eindhoven University of  Technology
phone:  +31 (0)40 474541      | P.O. Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, NL
---------cut-here------------------------------visitea4.tex-----------
%
% BEGIN PARAMETERS
%
%===========================================================
\def\NAAM{Piet Tutelaers}
\def\Tel{Telefoon\space(040)\space474541\space/\space474089}
\def\bitnet{rcpt@heitue5}
\def\uucp{piet@urc.tue.nl}
%===========================================================
%
% EINDE PARAMETERS
%

\parskip=0pt
\baselineskip=0pt
\lineskip=0pt
\nopagenumbers

\hsize=21cm\hoffset=-2.04cm
\vsize=29.7cm\voffset=-1.84cm

\font\tue=tue scaled 1000   % <<<================= LOCAL FONT
\font\namefont=cmssbx10 scaled\magstep2
\font\addressfont=cmss10
\font\smallfont=cmss10
\font\plusfont=cmr8

\def\hoogte{5.3cm}
\def\breedte{9.5cm}
\def\kol{\hoogte}	% breedte van rechter kolom

\def\boxit#1{\hbox{\vrule\vtop
	{\vbox{\hrule\kern0pt\hbox{\kern0pt
	\strut#1\kern0pt}}\kern0pt\hrule}\vrule}}

\def\emptybox#1#2#3{\setbox0=\null\ht0=#1 \dp0=#2 \wd0=#3 \boxit{\box0}}

\def\merkje{\setbox1=\hbox{\plusfont+} \ht1=0pt \dp1=0pt \wd1=0pt \box1}

\def\snijlijn{\hbox{\merkje\kern\breedte\merkje\kern\breedte\merkje\hfil}}

\def\regel#1{\hbox to\kol{#1\hfil}}

\def\logo{\hbox{\tue tue\hfil}}

\def\adres{\hbox{   	% adres
		\vbox{	\baselineskip=12pt\addressfont
			\regel{Technische Universiteit Eindhoven}
			\regel{Den Dolech 2}
			\regel{5612 AZ EINDHOVEN}
			\smallfont
			\regel{\Tel}
		}
 	}
}

\def\naam{\hbox{		% naam
		\vbox{	\baselineskip=12pt\namefont
			\regel{\NAAM}
			\addressfont
			\regel{Rekencentrum}
		}
	}
}

\def\mail{\hbox to\kol{
		\vbox{	\baselineskip=12pt
			\halign{##\quad&##\hfil\cr
			uucp:  &\uucp\cr
			bitnet:&\bitnet\cr}
		}
	\hfill
	}
}

\def\kaartje{
	\hbox to \breedte{
		\kern0.4cm
		\vbox to \hoogte{\vskip0pt plus2fil\logo\vskip0pt plus8fil}
		\kern.7cm
		\vbox to \hoogte{
			\kern.5cm
			\adres
			\vfil
			\naam
			\kern6pt
			\smallfont\mail
			\kern.5cm
		}
		\kern0.1cm
	}
}

\def\tweekaartjes{\hbox{\kaartje\kern0cm\kaartje\hfil}}

\def\eena4{
	\vbox{
	\snijlijn\kern0cm\tweekaartjes\kern0cm
	\snijlijn\kern0cm\tweekaartjes\kern0cm