[comp.text] English grammars and related books

bathurst@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Bruce Bathurst) (02/03/90)

Someone in this newsgroup asked about grammars, but I've forgotten
his name.  Here's what I use:-

Jespersen, O., 1933. Essentials of English grammar.
   University, Alabama: Univ. of Alabama Press.
(Reports the English language as it is rather than how it should be.)

Partridge, E., 1953. You have a point there--a guide to punctuation
   and its allies. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul.
(A personal book on punctuation as an art.)

Partridge, E., 1973. Usage and abusage. London: Penguin.
(Supplements H.W. Fowler's Moden English Usage.)

Gowers, E., 1973. The complete plain words. London: Peguin.
(For many years unavailable in the U.S.; guess Penguin thought there
 was no market here for a book on how to write clearly.)

Payne, L.V., 1965. The lively art of writing. Chicago: Follett.
(A cheerful little book emphasizing the structure of essays.)

Carter, S.P., 1987. Writing for your peers--the primary Journal
   article. New York: Praeger.
(A rather vague book of lower quality than those above; but it has
a nice discussion of introductions.)

Bruce

Department of Geological and Geophysical Sciences
Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544
bathurst@phoenix.princeton.edu bathurst@pucc.bitnet !princeton!phoenix!bathurst
--

gvr@cs.brown.edu (George V. Reilly) (02/04/90)

In article <13527@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bathurst@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Bruce Bathurst) writes:
>Someone in this newsgroup asked about grammars, but I've forgotten
>his name.  Here's what I use:-
	[...]
>Gowers, E., 1973. The complete plain words. London: Peguin.
>(For many years unavailable in the U.S.; guess Penguin thought there
> was no market here for a book on how to write clearly.)

Actually, a revised edition (the third) was published in 1986.  This
edition was edited by Sidney Greenbaum and Janet Whitcup, and it is
also published by Penguin.
George V. Reilly			gvr@cs.brown.edu
uunet!brunix!gvr   gvr@browncs.bitnet	Box 1910, Brown U, Prov, RI 02912