[comp.text] TeX Fonts Wanted: Helvetica/Times-Roman

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (01/31/90)

 > I am looking for Helvetica and Times-Roman fonts for \TeX.  I would like
 > to obtain .TFM and .PK files for the full range of sizes, italics,
 > slants, and bolds.
 > I would appreciate any info on where I can locate any or all of these
 > font files.  I am assuming they already exist.  If they do not, it might
 > be METAFONT time.
you have an overactive imagination, I'm afraid. I know of no Metafont
source for Times-Roman and Helvetica, which are copyrighted font
names. If you have a PostScript or other printer which has licensed
the fonts from their owners, then you just need TFM files; in the case
of PostScript fonts, Adobe supply Adobe Font Metric files instead,
which are readily converted to TFM by utilities in at least 3 of the
dvi to PostScript packages.

--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)

wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) (02/02/90)

>       If you have a PostScript or other printer which has licensed
>the fonts from their owners, then you just need TFM files; in the case
>of PostScript fonts, Adobe supply Adobe Font Metric files instead,
>which are readily converted to TFM by utilities in at least 3 of the
>dvi to PostScript packages.

Can you tell me where to get such a package? I have afm files for all
the Adobe fonts, and would kill to be able to use PS fonts from TeX.

w. <wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> <wisner@mica.berkeley.edu>

smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (J. Daniel Smith) (02/03/90)

In article <415@umrisca.usenet.umr.edu> ronp@cs.umr.edu () writes:
>I am looking for Helvetica and Times-Roman fonts for \TeX.  I would like
>to obtain .TFM and .PK files for the full range of sizes, italics,
>slants, and bolds.
There was a flier with the Nov 89 TUGboat that advertised bitmaps for
the 35 "standard" PostScript fonts at a variety of sizes.  They were
targeted for TeX users with HP printers, but I would guess they would
also be quite useful for things like previewing....  The number given
is 1-800-USA-BOOKS (don't ask me about the extra letter/digit).  The
claim from the person I talked to is that these were from the true
Adobe fonts, but I don't know quite how...

>I would appreciate any info on where I can locate any or all of these
>font files.  I am assuming they already exist.  If they do not, it might
>be METAFONT time.
Georgia Tobin of the Metafoundry (part of the OCLC) created a set of
fonts "inspired" by Times/Helvetica using the 'old' METAfont.  Some of these
are available in limited sizes from Personal TeX Inc.  Some of the
other fine work Gerogia has done can frequently be seen in her TUBboat column
"Font Forum".

The TeX Users Group has lots of additional information about TeX.  The cost
to join is only $35 (a mere $25 for students).  The membership fee
includes a subscription to the TUGboat---an invaluable resource for
TeX users.  So, to use the words of Knuth "Don't delay, write today!"
(pg. 483 of the TeXbook).

   TeX Users Group
   P.O. Box 9506
   Providence, RI   02940
   (401) 751-7760
   TUG@math.ams.com (Internet)

Dan
J. Daniel Smith                      Internet: smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu
Michigan State University              BITNET: smithdan@msuegr
East Lansing, Michigan                 Usenet: uunet!frith!smithda

[Pointers] are like jumps, leaping wildly from one part of data
structure to another.  Their introduction into high-level languages has
been a step backward from which we may never recover.
                         - C. A. R. Hoare

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (02/05/90)

 >>which are readily converted to TFM by utilities in at least 3 of the
 >>dvi to PostScript packages.

 > Can you tell me where to get such a package? I have afm files for all
 > the Adobe fonts, and would kill to be able to use PS fonts from TeX.
Rokicki's dvips (ftp from labrea.stanford.edu) has an afm2tfm utility,
and Clark's dvitops (from UK TeX archive if you find that easier) has
an afm2pl program. Bechtolsheim's dvitps (on Unix TeX tape)
also has the utility.