[comp.text] LaTeX: unwanted vspace in nested list environments

mrwittma@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Martin R. Wittmann) (02/02/90)

I recently had occasion to nest an 'itemize' environment within a
'description' environment (in \documentstyle{article}).  The results were
less than pleasing!  I first tried:
\begin{description}
	\item[whatever:]
		\begin{itemize}
		\item some text
		\item more text
		\end{itemize}
\end{description}
This put the 'bullet' on the same line as the bold 'whatever'.  So I
changed it to:
\begin{description}
	\item[whatever:] \mbox{}\\
		\begin{itemize}
		\item some text
		\item more text
		\end{itemize}
\end{description}
This created a HUGE gap between the bold 'whatever' and the 'bullet'
below.  The gap was probably the sum of a \parskip and a \topsep or
two.

Short of changing the \@listi... definitions in a new .sty file, the
only way I could eliminate the space was with a \vspace{-2\topsep}
command following the \mbox{}\\.  Naturally this greatly offends my
sense of a well structured document.

Finally the queries:
	(1) can I redefine \topsep and other parameters like
\itemsep to eliminate this space?  (Using \setlength{\topsep}{0pt}
early in the file (outside the list environment) doesn't work since the
\@listi... command redefines \topsep when the list environment is
invoked.  Using \setlength{...} *after* the \begin{description} or
\begin{itemize} didn't help either, however.)
	(2) can I create a new list environment retaining all the
"habits" of, say, 'itemize' or 'description' *except* for a few
designated changes to \topsep, etc.?

I would greatly appreciate an elegant solution to this bothersome
problem!  Please email, since I'm an unfaithful news reader.

Many thanks,				Martin
					mrwittma@phoenix.princeton.edu

he@stollco.UUCP (Helge Oldach) (02/05/90)

In article <13490@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> mrwittma@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Martin R. Wittmann) writes:
> \begin{description}
> 	\item[whatever:] \mbox{}\\
> 		\begin{itemize}
> 		\item some text
> 		\item more text
> 		\end{itemize}
> \end{description}
> This created a HUGE gap between the bold 'whatever' and the 'bullet'
> below.  The gap was probably the sum of a \parskip and a \topsep or
> two.
>
> Short of changing the \@listi... definitions in a new .sty file,
> [...]

The itemize environment actually is a special kind of list environment.
So, \begin{itemize} is similar to \begin{list}{$\bullet$}{}. You can place
some additional commands between the {} brackets. Try: {\topsep 0pt
\parskip 0pt}. This should suit your needs, I think.

Helge Oldach   ..!unido!stollco!he   he@sephh.hh.sub.org