[comp.text] help requested on underlining with line breaks.

adrian@mti.mti.com (Adrian McCarthy) (02/23/90)

In article <22555@mimsy.umd.edu> chris@mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
>In article <5560.25d9e051@elroy.uh.edu> bchs1a@elroy.uh.edu writes:
>>When using \underline ... to underline text in a paragraph, namely
>>book titles ....
>
>Gaaak!  ( :-) )
>
>One underlines book titles in typewritten text only because most
>typewriters are not capable of typing in italics.  Typeset text should
>use italics wherever typewriters use underlining.

As Knuth points out in the TeXbook, more and more typesetters are using
a slant font instead of italics.

But there are still cases where underlining might be desirable, so the
quick and easy work around would be to break the words up into separate
\underline macros:

  \underline{The} \underline{Title} \underline{of} \underline{My}
  \underline{Book}

This points out a small problem with \underline, though.  The line under
"My" will be lower than the other words since the line is placed relative
to the depth of the box.  Since "y" has a descender, the "My" box will
be deeper.  Perhaps there is a way to use a strut to force all \underline
boxes to the same depth.

Aid.

adrian@mti.mti.com (Adrian McCarthy) (02/23/90)

In article <911@mti.mti.com> adrian@mti.UUCP (I) write:
>  \underline{The} \underline{Title} \underline{of} \underline{My}
>  \underline{Book}
>
>This points out a small problem with \underline, though.  The line under
>"My" will be lower than the other words since the line is placed relative
>to the depth of the box.  Since "y" has a descender, the "My" box will
>be deeper.  Perhaps there is a way to use a strut to force all \underline
>boxes to the same depth.

I was promptly chastised by dh for this gaff.  If I had my book here,
I would have seen the cross reference to \underbar in the index.  Check it
out if you're interested.  It explains that \underbar alters the depth of
the box rather than using a strut which won't work in some cases.

Followups to comp.text.tex.

Aid.