[comp.text] National alphabets

eykhout@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl (Victor Eijkhout) (02/21/90)

Z3000PA%AWITUW01.BITNET@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU writes:

>and maybe other characters for other European languages!

In Dutch the 'ij' is really a ligature: the lip of the 'j'
should reach under the 'i'. Very close kerning! Let's consider
this a national character.

Victor.

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (dhosek) (02/21/90)

In article <1064@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl> scribitur:

>In Dutch the 'ij' is really a ligature: the lip of the 'j'
>should reach under the 'i'. Very close kerning! Let's consider
>this a national character.

In doing research for a type design project, I noticed the ij
ligature appearing in all sorts of contexts, but never with anything
more than "i-j ligature" to identify it. Now I at least know the
language responsible for this.

Also, in every typeface that I saw this combination occur, it appeared
that the i and j of the ligature were identical to the ordinary i and
j. The ligature status appears to be an artifact of a time when the
close kerning described wasn't possible (think about TeX's boxes and
imagine they can't overlap and there's your typesetting problem with
ij).

Now, does ij-lig occur every time i+j appears or only sometimes? (in
Latin, for example, \oe is only used if oe represents a dipthong. Thus
p\oe{}na, but poeta.) If it occurs every time, then an implicit kern
would be more efficient than a ligature (they both need a different TFM
from CM, but the former needs no additional glyphs). If it occurs only
sometimes, \def\ij{i\kern-<something>j} would work but would prohibit
hyphenation (the accent/hyphenation problem isn't because of accents,
per se, but because TeX does not hyphenate words with explicit kerns),
so in this case, having an ij national character would make sense.

-dh
--
"Odi et amo, quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
   nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior"          -Catullus

eykhout@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl (Victor Eijkhout) (02/23/90)

About the 'i-j' in Dutch.

In a way this is a variant of the English 'y'. The Dutch term is
the 'long y'. Let's consider it as a broken-up, dotted, y.

TeX likes to hyphenate between the i and the j;
this is always wrong (maybe some artificially created exceptions exist;
you might try something containing the preposition 'anti'. Like
'antijichtpillen'. But that's on a par with the TeX problem of the
erroneous ligature in 'shelfful', or 'halflive')
Don Hosek is right that it's more a kerning
problem than a ligature.

Small problem: the kapital form is 'IJ', as in IJselmeer. But that's
only a problem for people who write macros that capitalize a text
(not uppercasing!).

Victor.

koontz@cam.nist.gov (John E. Koontz X5180) (02/24/90)

In article <1070@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl>, eykhout@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl (Victor Eijkhout) writes:

> About the 'i-j' in Dutch.
>
> In a way this is a variant of the English 'y'. The Dutch term is
> the 'long y'. Let's consider it as a broken-up, dotted, y.

Actually, to inject a historical note, I have noticed that ij is usually
printed as y in French, German, and English language references to Dutch
names in at least the early 1800s.  I don't know anything else about the
history of this orthographical practice.

adrian@mti.mti.com (Adrian McCarthy) (02/24/90)

In article <1064@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl> scribitur:

>In Dutch the 'ij' is really a ligature: the lip of the 'j'
>should reach under the 'i'. Very close kerning! Let's consider
>this a national character.

Hold the phone!  My mother, who grew up in the Netherlands, told me that
people often mistake a "y" with two dots over it with "ij".  The mistake
is easy to understand in cursive handwriting.  To prove her point, my
mom showed me several Dutch books and hand-written letters which had the
same word.  In type, it was indeed the "y" with dots, and in writing it
resembled "ij".

Is this "ij" ligature a big mix-up?  Is this discussion really about a
"y" with dots?  Have typography styles in the Netherlands changed over
the past 35 years, superceding the "y" with a ligature?

Aid.

P.S.  Followups to comp.text.tex.